Sep 29, 2003
✟8,980.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
SACRAMENTO – A Sacramento pastor could spend the rest of his life behind bars for molesting a 13-year-old boy at a library. Superior Court Judge Michael Kenny sentenced Frederick Deshawn Dew on Friday to 15 years to life in prison for aggravated sexual assault. Dew was also given a separate seven-year sentence on a molestation charge.

t.gif

Dew is the founder and pastor of the Praise Tabernacle Church.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20071020-1052-ca-brf-norcal-pastorsentenced.html

ShieldOFaith

Aug 18, 2007
✟3,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
SACRAMENTO – A Sacramento pastor could spend the rest of his life behind bars for molesting a 13-year-old boy at a library. Superior Court Judge Michael Kenny sentenced Frederick Deshawn Dew on Friday to 15 years to life in prison for aggravated sexual assault. Dew was also given a separate seven-year sentence on a molestation charge.

t.gif

Dew is the founder and pastor of the Praise Tabernacle Church.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20071020-1052-ca-brf-norcal-pastorsentenced.html
He should be hung by the neck until dead.

Upvote 0

ShieldOFaith

Aug 18, 2007
✟3,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well technically 80% of Americans are Christian/religious. Which likewise means that 80% of these crimes are committed by Christian/religious individuals.
Why are you being ridiculous? You know that 80% of the U.S. are not truly born again by the Spirit of God. Hence you are just trying to take a stab at Christianity. Weak.

Upvote 0

Sphere

Sep 29, 2003
✟8,980.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Why are you being ridiculous? You know that 80% of the U.S. are not truly born again by the Spirit of God. Hence you are just trying to take a stab at Christianity. Weak.

You are not the arbitrator of who is or isn't a Christian.

You are not Jesus Christ.

Stop pretending to be God's right hand man.

Upvote 0

s_gunter

Contributor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
✟59,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't give a darn about a person's motivation for posting this. It just shows that it's not just one class of persons that do this. Plain and simple.

Now if I posted an article with this title: "Brooklyn School Rabbi Accused of Molesting Boy" in this thread, of course my motivation would be danged obvious.

**mods, feel free to delete this post. I might've gone too far....

Upvote 0

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well technically 80% of Americans are Christian/religious.

By who's definition?

Are they "Christian" because they go to church or pay lip service to God? Or are they Christians in the Biblical sense because they're born again and following Jesus?

Anybody can claim to be Christian, but Jesus said that not everyone who claims to follow Him actually is. In fact, He said that the gate is very narrow.

For the record, this church holds several doctrines (which one assumes the pastor affirms) that disqualify it as a "Christian" church, according to 2 John 1:9.

The bottom line is that there are predators in every walk of life and they need to be put away and stopped to protect our children.

You've started several threads to point out that some minister somewhere has molested a child and you're right.

However, you're being a little dishonest in the way you're going about it: "Christian minister molests child. Therefore, Christianity must not be true".

What you fail to mention is that the Bible says that if somebody does this, they're not a Christian.

Did this person molest the child because of Christian teaching? Or did he do it in spite of Christian teaching? Given what the Bible says about rape and about harming a child, it's very clear that he did so in spite of Christian teaching, so it's really just dishonest of you to try to say that this is a black mark on Christianity.

All it means is that there's an imposter in our midst, which there are.

Three things need to happen in this case:

1. We need to pray for the child.
2. The predator needs to get right with God by repenting and putting his faith in Christ and His atonement on the cross.
3. The court needs to throw the book at him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sphere

Sep 29, 2003
✟8,980.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
By who's definition?

No ones definition. Those are demographics of the United States.

Roughly 80% of the population identifies itself as Christian.

Are they "Christian" because they go to church or pay lip service to God? Or are they Christians in the Biblical sense because they're born again and following Jesus?

Anybody can claim to be Christian, but Jesus said that not everyone who claims to follow Him actually is. In fact, He said that the gate is very narrow.

Last I checked, being a Christian merely involved having Faith in Christ. You cannot read the minds, the hearts, nor the intentions of those who Identify themselves as Christian. Don't trivialize their faith by claiming a monopoly on beliefs.

You've started several threads to point out that some minister somewhere has molested a child and you're right.

However, you're being a little dishonest in the way you're going about it: "Christian minister molests child. Therefore, Christianity must not be true".

How am I being dishonest? You're jumping to conclusions, and pretending I have said / implied things I never did.

As a matter of fact, I challenge you to substantiate your claim. Cite specifically where I have said/implied that Christianity is not true.

What you fail to mention is that the Bible says that if somebody does this, they're not a Christian.

Sure they are. Christianity revolves around the ideology that your worldly deeds do not matter. Whether you're a good person, or a bad person in life.

All that matters is whether or not you Accept Jesus. Sin is sin is sin. Regardless if you're molesting children at church, or engaging in a petty theft.

Salvation (according to Christian theology) revolves around accepting Christ as ones savior. That's it. Please don't try to tell me that Christianity, isn't about Christ.

Did this person molest the child because of Christian teaching? Or did he do it in spite of Christian teaching? Given what the Bible says about rape and about harming a child, it's very clear that he did so in spite of Christian teaching, so it's really just dishonest of you to try to say that this is a black mark on Christianity.

It doesn't matter what he does. He's a Christian provided he accepts Jesus as Savior. Christianity revolves around Christ, that's it.

All it means is that there's an imposter in our midst, which there are.

Three things need to happen in this case:

1. We need to pray for the child.
2. The predator needs to get right with God by repenting and putting his faith in Christ and His atonement on the cross.
3. The court needs to throw the book at him.

He's no Imposter. He's a genuine Christian, who has accepted Jesus Christ as his savior. He adheres to Christian philosophy and it's teachings. He might be a sinner, but hey--we're all sinners, right?

He should be thrown in prison, or executed.

Upvote 0

Sphere

Sep 29, 2003
✟8,980.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I notice that out of your entire response, you left out the most critical part. I'll repeat it for you, since you made the claim:

*Edit, apparently you deleted your post.

How am I being dishonest? You're jumping to conclusions, and pretending I have said / implied things I never did.

As a matter of fact, I challenge you to substantiate your claim. Cite specifically where I have said/implied that Christianity is not true.

Substantiate your claim.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

craigerNY

I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟48,788.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Why are Christians held to such a higher standard in the media than anyone else? If a kid gets molested, it is only news when a priest or deacon does it.
Yeah we never hear about it when teachers do things like this...............or politicians..................or actors.............

I don't think any of Criminology’s posts have cited the perpetrators as merely Christian but rather Christians in leadership or influential roles. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't recall him posting about Joe Blow Shlub from anytown USA that happens to be a Christian did these things.

Upvote 0

Sphere

Sep 29, 2003
✟8,980.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Why are Christians held to such a higher standard in the media than anyone else? If a kid gets molested, it is only news when a priest or deacon does it.

These people are entrusted with children, and they sometimes abuse their power. That's a pretty significant crime.

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian

Um...since when?

It's on our local news no matter who does it.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Seems there is a new case every day. Police say ten men were involved in this:

Canadian pedophile suspect sought in Thailand

An 8 year old Thai boy was sold to foreign men (this isn't the guy who was captured last week in Thailand. This is a new one).

Maybe the 15 years to life this pastor got wasn't enough. Perhaps society needs to send a stronger message.

Upvote 0

SteveAtheist

Jun 28, 2007
✟8,812.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Because Christians, especially those who have power and influence, are claimed to be of a higher standard than the rest of us. Christian pastors are paraded in front of us by the media as people who the population should trust above others. Books are constantly being published and pushed that tell us how to life our lives to a higher standard. This is what makes these crimes more heinous. These people are in a postition of trust and power and their abuse of these things is appalling.

Upvote 0