Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I'm waiting for the Messianic Muslim sock to show up. Maybe some Messianic Mormons. Since when is traditional Judaism a stereotype? Think I'll go hide behind my tree for a while... There's Israelites running around with hammers here attacking stereotypical Jews. Quick! Round the wagons around Paul, the rocks are about to fly!

Reactions: pinacled
Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Every one else interpretation is wrong except for his.... Talmudism... That's a new disparaging remark.
If you add -ism to any word, you can turn it into a bad thing. ;)
Religionism sounds bad; Godism sounds bad; Lovism sounds bad. LOL
Don't let it get you stressed. He's just trying to make "Talmud" sound bad.

Reactions: Shimshon
Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
<Staff Edit>
Anti-Paul spin <Staff Edit> is against forum rules. Apart from being ridiculously inaccurate, it's offensive to the those of us who have no problem with Paul and his teachings and see it as completely in line with scripture and obviously inspired by the same Holy Spirit who gave us the rest of the canon. Any apparent contradiction is a failing on the part of the reader, not the author.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not really. You said that you can see why Jews would perceive Paul as anti Torah. I don't know if he was or not. I am sure that he was both. Sometimes for, sometimes against. Did not value circumcision, but was for keeping the commands. Don't tell anyone, but circumcision is a command. It even predates Moses :) And that's only one example. Easy to see why Jews of his time, listening to him, just through their hands in the air saying- what's this guy trying to say?

Actually danny, as usual you are being inaccurate. Paul valued circumcision- for Jews (Acts 16:1-3). Not for Gentiles (Gal). Same as your rabbi does today. The real reason Rabbinic Jews then and now have a problem with Paul is that they aren't converted.

1Co 1:21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.
1Co 1:22 For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom,
1Co 1:23 but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles,
1Co 1:24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

1Co 2:7 But we impart a secret and hidden wisdom of God, which God decreed before the ages for our glory.
1Co 2:8 None of the rulers of this age understood this, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
1Co 2:9 But, as it is written, "What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him"—
1Co 2:10 these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God.

Enjoy.

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually danny, as usual you are being inaccurate. Paul valued circumcision- for Jews (Acts 16:1-3). Not for Gentiles (Gal). Same as your rabbi does today. The real reason Rabbinic Jews then and now have a problem with Paul is that they aren't converted.

I think Paul states enough times his opposition to circumcision as a ritual act (for all) to disagree with you here. Your argument holds up only if we take the Acts as an accurate representation of Paul's thinking and actions. Paul himself, judging from his own writings alone, would never have done this in actuality.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think Paul states enough times his opposition to circumcision as a ritual act (for all) to disagree with you here. Your argument holds up only if we take the Acts as an accurate representation of Paul's thinking and actions. Paul himself, judging from his own writings alone, would never have done this in actuality.

Here's the clincher- I do take Acts as an accurate representation of Paul's thinking and actions. So, yes, from my POV the argument holds just fine. Paul's reasons for circumcising Timothy may be open for debate, but I believe there is no reason to doubt Luke's account of it actually happening.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Here's the clincher- I do take Acts as an accurate representation of Paul's thinking and actions. So, yes, from my POV the argument holds just fine. Paul's reasons for circumcising Timothy may be open for debate, but I believe there is no reason to doubt Luke's account of it actually happening.
And I'm convinced that the representation of Paul in the Acts is politically motivated and does not really reveal anything about who he really was. It represents him in opposition to his own opinions as expressed in his personal correspondence. The opposition must be brushed aside in order to turn Paul into a supporter of circumcision.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And I'm convinced that the representation of Paul in the Acts is politically motivated and does not really reveal anything about who he really was. It represents him in opposition to his own opinions as expressed in his personal correspondence. The opposition must be brushed aside in order to turn Paul into a supporter of circumcision.

I accept the canon, you don't. We knew that already. :) No problem, bro.

Upvote 0

Pentateuch and Yeshua

Nov 20, 2015
✟15,669.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
<Staff Edit>I am only interested in constructive discussion of views, and I would be happy to engage with you in any discussions in which we may have similar or differing views, without pushing any opinions upon the other. Cheers :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

danny ski

Jan 13, 2013
✟34,912.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
After reading the Acts and his letters, I agree.

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I accept the canon, you don't. We knew that already. :) No problem, bro.
Yes, my friend, but my point is that it isn't exactly right to say that danny's positions are most always wrong when it comes down to presupposition. It would be difficult to confirm one position right and the other wrong when it comes down to what you must assume upon no basis. That was my point. ;)

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Now that was an interesting and respectful discussion between three Jews holding differing opinions and views.
Well, I think that CM and I are special cases. We have disagreements on everything under the sun and maintain a high level of respect for one another. I consider him a dear person and a friend.

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
<Staff Edit> I am only interested in constructive discussion of views, and I would be happy to engage with you in any discussions in which we may have similar or differing views, without pushing any opinions upon the other. Cheers :)
I think that Paul is the person in the NT with the most integrity and consistency. I thoroughly enjoy his writings and think they should be taken with even more seriousness than they generally are. (I say this as someone who disbelieves in Paul's writings and theology.)

Upvote 0