Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone know if there are many Sabbath and Bible keeping Churches of God in the UK?

When I say Sabbath I mean the biblical Sabbath of Friday sunset to Saturday sunset.

And when I say Bible I mean the whole thing both old and new covenant.

Seventh-day Adventist Church - United Kingdom and Ireland

Can you speak about what you mean by the old covenant and why you think its necessary? By old covenant do you mean old testament?

Upvote 0

Haldog

Aug 29, 2010
✟15,158.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone know if there are many Sabbath and Bible keeping Churches of God in the UK?

I believe you will have a very hard time finding any church that both "keeps" the Sabbath and the bible. They are mutually exclusive.

When I say Sabbath I mean the biblical Sabbath of Friday sunset to Saturday sunset.

You will find lot's of Sabbath keepers amongst the Jews. SDA's SAY they keep the Sabbath but they don't, even by their own definition. The Sabbath was a type and shadow of Jesus Christ as Paul illustrated several times.

Again, mutually exclusive. If you are trying to obey the old covenant you CAN't obey the new. You can't be married to 2 people at the same time. Again, see Paul writings about this.

So I'm thinking you aren't going to find a church that is as split as you are asking for.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,055.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

the UK is a rather large place, can you be a little more specific?

Steve

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You will find lot's of Sabbath keepers amongst the Jews. SDA's SAY they keep the Sabbath but they don't, even by their own definition. The Sabbath was a type and shadow of Jesus Christ as Paul illustrated several times.

Again, mutually exclusive. If you are trying to obey the old covenant you CAN't obey the new. You can't be married to 2 people at the same time. Again, see Paul writings about this.

So I'm thinking you aren't going to find a church that is as split as you are asking for.
There is also the MJ sect of Christianity, but along with keeping the sabbath and food laws, they also require circumcision if I am not mistaken.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Philadelphia Church of God or the Living Church of God would probably come closest, but there's no way of knowing what the OP wants when he adds that he's looking for a "Bible keeping" church also. It is possible that what he believes includes Sabbatarianism but, at the same time, rejects the New Testament when it comes to other doctrinal matters.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,055.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
There is also the MJ sect of Christianity, but along with keeping the sabbath and food laws, they also require circumcision if I am not mistaken.

I do not know any MJ congregations that 'require' circumcision at all (except of those ethnically Jewish).

Steve

p.s. where do you get your information from?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I do not know any MJ congregations that 'require' circumcision at all (except of those ethnically Jewish).

Steve

p.s. where do you get your information from?
Why would a Gentile want to become a Messianic Jew if not to follow the OC Mosaic Law as the Jews of today do, including circumcision, and how far back do birth records have to go to establish whether one is of Jewish descent.

I do admit, I am a little confused on the circumcision part

Dr. Arnold Fruchtenbaum - Jews, Gentiles, Christians

Since the Abrahamic Covenant is still very much in effect, these four features also involve the Messianic believer both in his position and function. First of all, Messianic Jews are still Jews, for they, like other Jews, are descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Secondly, the homeland for the Messianic believer is the Land of Israel, and this is where his primary loyalty should be despite his place of residence. Believing Jews are in the Diaspora, but they are also in the Galuth, the Exile. Thirdly, the Gentile relationship to the Jews in the blessing and cursing aspects are as true for Jewish believers as for other Jews. Messianic believers who are blessed or cursed because of their Jewishness will find the blessers blessed and the cursers cursed. Finally, there is the matter of circumcision. Since Jewish believers still fall under the other provisions of the Abrahamic Covenant, they fall under this one as well. It is my conviction that Messianic Jews should have their sons circumcised on the eighth day.

But does not the Book of Galatians argue against the practice of circumcision? Yes and no. Circumcision for Gentiles, circumcision on the basis of the Mosaic Law, and circumcision for justification or sanctification are all wrong. The Book of Galatians condemns circumcision as a means for justification. Except for health and medical reasons, there is never any need or requirement for Gentile circumcision. Furthermore, Messianic believers who circumcise on the basis of the Law of Moses are also wrong, since the Law ended with the Messiah. But this same book clearly states that the Abrahamic Covenant is still very much in effect with all its features, and this includes circumcision. So circumcision on the basis of the Abrahamic Covenant is right and proper, and it is my conviction that it is still very much in effect for Jewish believers. Paul, who taught the Gentiles not to circumcise, did not so teach the Jews; this is clear from Acts 21:17-26, and from Acts 16:1-3 when he had Timothy circumcised. It was not circumcision per se that was ruled out, rather, circumcision on the basis of Mosaic Law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldStudent

Feb 24, 2007
central Ohio
✟8,188.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I am responding to an old message. I hope you still glance back. I also hope I stay away from sounding inflammatory.

I would like see those passages where Paul points out that "The Sabbath was a type and shadow of Jesus Christ." I looked at all of the instances where Jesus interacted with the Sabbath. And if I take the commonly held view you present - Jesus was mistaken about the Sabbath and Paul holds a higher authority than Jesus on the matter - a stance that is untenable. I would have to call Paul wrong (or the reading of him incorrect) because Jesus is lord of the sabbath having created it, wrote it in stone, and strongly defended it during His ministry.

I also completed a recent study about the Old and New Covenants. I was puzzled by assertions made about the Old and New Covenants and did not have a clear and defensible position on the matter until then. In summary, there are two facets to Old and New Covenants. First, the difference between them is not one of content but of how it was to be applied. The first was set with, “All that the Lord has said we will do, and be obedient” Ex 24:7. By the time Jeremiah coined the term "new covenant" (ch 31) 850 years later it had become well established they weren't doing well with the covenant. God said nothing about any change in content but that "I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts..." vs 33; Heb 8:10; 10:16. Keeping law was not something the people could by their own will, God needed to write it on their hearts - then it would come naturally. There are numerous "new covenant," keep-it-by-heart examples long before Jeremiah (Deut 5:29; 6:5,6; 10:11-13...Ps 51).

Second, there was a change in administration of the covenant as Jesus ascended to heaven. The Mosaic priesthood and tabernacle (not Sabbath) was prophetic of and pointed to the sacrifice and ministry of Jesus. The Mosaic tabernacle was built as a model of the one in heaven (Ex 25:9, 40; Ex 26:30; Num 8:4). Jesus became our High Priest in the heavenly sanctuary. This change of priestly administration and roles of Jesus are mostly what the letter to the Hebrews is about. There are several passages in Revelation where John follows the ministry of Jesus in the heavenly sanctuary. This is the key distinction to be made between the Old and New Testaments. The Old and New Testaments do not equate to the Old and New Covenants as the covenants are commonly perceived.

Upvote 0
S

StormHawk

Does anyone know if there are many Sabbath and Bible keeping Churches of God in the UK?...

That's a contradiction in terms.
They already had the old testament sabbath when Jesus spoke of another one:

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Mat 11:28)

Hebrews 4 details more
"Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
Heb. For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. ..." etc

Followers of Jesus worship in Spirit and in truth, by first receiving the Spirit, as detailed in scripture (Acts 2:4, 33; Isaiah 28:11-12 - "the rest and the refreshing", John 3:8), then operating the gifts and ministries in an orderly way as detailed in 1 Corinthians 14, since they needed correction, other congregations already did as you read there. This is the true rest of which the Old Testament sabbath is only a shadow.

Many do not know this true rest, true sabbath so, like you they are not at rest, reaping the fulness of Christ's labour. We are.
I hope you are open enough to come and see for yourself, it is likely that you have never been to a church like this, even though is is the only type the New Testament prescribes!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Geraint Jones

Jan 12, 2019
Solihull
✟15,301.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ImperialJohn: I am in the UK and wondering if you found anywhere?

QUOTE="ImperialJohn, post: 55524805"]Does anyone know if there are many Sabbath and Bible keeping Churches of God in the UK?
Hi was there any response to this i'm also in the UK

Upvote 0

HelenTina

Aug 27, 2018
Manchester
✟8,103.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi was there any response to this i'm also in the UK
Hi Geraint. Apologies for not replying sooner. Whereabouts are you? I have a list of contact details off people from various forums etc who are also looking. We are mainly in the Greater Manchester area and I'm planning to arrange a get together if you are interested.

Upvote 0

HelenTina

Aug 27, 2018
Manchester
✟8,103.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I am also looking for fellowship in the UK. I am in the Northeast. I keep shabbat and am looking to keep the Feasts.
In Yeshua,

Hi Laurie
I go to the Teesside area from time to time. Whereabouts are you? I have a list of contact details off people from various forums etc who are also looking. We are mainly in the Greater Manchester area and I'm planning to arrange a get together if you are interested.

Upvote 0