1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russian soldier has throat cut for not converting to Islam

Discussion in 'Christianity and World Religion' started by TheTruthWillSetYouFree, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. http://modernwar.suite101.com/article.cfm/evgeniy_rodionov_soldier_martyr

Evgeniy Rodionov Soldier Martyr
    The 19 year old New Russian Orthodox Saint of Chechnya

Chechen field commander Rusland Haihoroev (also spelled Khaikhoroyev in some sources) slit the throat of the soldier and later beheaded him on May 23, 1996 (his 19th birthday) near the settlement of Bamut. His body, along with four other Russian prisoners were placed in a bomb crater outside the village of Alexeevskaya and covered up with lime and dirt. Haihoroev stated later in an interview that he only killed Rodionov after the soldier denied conversion to Islam and refused to give up his orthodox cross.

2. WingsOfTheNeophyte

WingsOfTheNeophyte Veteran

Faith:
    Seeker
    I would've converted on thew spot. It's not as if appeasing a madman to save your life can be held against anyone.

Chechnya is a crazy place though, freaky things happen there

3. Futuwwa

Futuwwa New Member

Faith:
    Muslim
    And? He was a combatant in a warzone, and on top of that, a soldier of an invading army. He should not have even been able to expect a chance to save himself by converting.

4. WingsOfTheNeophyte

Faith:
    Seeker
    Seems like he was a prisoner, if it was on the war zone it would have been fine, but I always through that nowadays we do not execute prisoners?

5. Futuwwa

Futuwwa New Member

Faith:
    Muslim
    A prisoner of war is someone who tries to kill you, fails, and then goes on demanding that you don't kill him.

6. WingsOfTheNeophyte

Faith:
    Seeker
    I'm quite opposed to the idea of killing prisoners, I mean you can out them to work building stuff for you, you could trade them for your soldiers the enemy has taken prisoner, a little imagination and they can serve a purpose.....

At the point at which they're unarmed I think its not moral to kill them, if they're in the process of doing something dangerous to you, no problem, but not unarmed people......

7. français

français Atheist/CA-Bloc Québécois/US-Democrat

Faith:
    Atheist
    Fatuwwa you are insane. No one should ever die, even if they are the oppressors.

Anyways but the Bible says that those who die for Jesus will be blessed :) He was a martyr for Christ. :)

8. Futuwwa

Futuwwa New Member

Faith:
    Muslim
    Taking or not takng prisoners is sometimes a matter of military expediency. For partisans, who are dependent on mobility and seldom have fixed bases of operations, dragging along prisoners is not very realistic.

Or, imagine a group being on a very particular infiltration mission, getting into a fight and enemies surrendering. They can't take the prisoners along without botching the mission, and taking them back to base would abort the mission. What's there to do, then, other than shoot them?

9. MrGoodBytes

MrGoodBytes KILLFRENZY KILLFRENZY KILLFRENZY

Faith:
    Seeker
    Yes, we would all be better off without this horrible Geneva convention. :help:

10. MrGoodBytes

Faith:
    Seeker
    He wasn't killed for military reasons but for refusing to convert to Islam.

Religion aside, I am not surprised about anything coming from Chechnya. There has been too much suffering and too many atrocities committed by both sides.

11. Snowbunny

Snowbunny Mexican Princess

Faith:
    Catholic
    may God grant him peace

12. Secundulus

Secundulus New Member

Faith:
    Catholic
    That seems to be a common occurrence in Islam. They did the same thing to the two Korean Pastors in Afghanistan last month.

13. anatolian

anatolian Senior Veteran

Faith:
    Muslim
    Wrong.He was killed because he was a member of an invading army.But non-muslims criminals are asked to accept islam.If they accept islam they get free.

14. MattTheAgnostic

MattTheAgnostic Senior Veteran

Faith:
    Agnostic
    So because he didn't convert he was killed?

15. anatolian

anatolian Senior Veteran

Faith:
    Muslim
    The main reason is not the rejection of islam.Their execution method may be a bit medival but still I dont see any reason to blame that man for this action.

16. Skavau

Skavau Ode to the Forgotten Few

Faith:
    Humanist
    How is that feasible and how is that even fair? The eventual result is that they will kill the prisoner purely on the basis for non converting to Islam.

Also is it expected that the prisoners 'conversion' will be legitimate or just in order to save his or her skin? How is it even possible to convert based on force?

17. WingsOfTheNeophyte

Faith:
    Seeker
    I think it is more along the lines of, they fight, and some prisoners are captured, if the prisoners can be kept, that are, if not (under the circumstances Futuwwa pointed out) then they are to be executed, and as a last thing, they ask the prisoners who are going to be executed to accept Islam, because if they are willing, it would be quite immoral to kill them in the eyes of the Chechnyan's, so it is not so much as a forced conversion, but a last chance for prisoners on death row

(If I understand correctly that it, might be completely off)

18. MrGoodBytes

Faith:
    Seeker
    And if they do not, they get executed. My point precisely.

19. Snowbunny

Snowbunny Mexican Princess

Faith:
    Catholic
    hola

killing people for wanting to kill you, but only if you do not have enough room for them and not if they choose to obey your religion... it is sickening and confusing. this is why i do not believe in war... people have to delve into the twisted arithmatic of murder and in the process become twisted themselves.

que Dios te bendiga

20. WingsOfTheNeophyte

Faith:
    Seeker
    I agree with you, war is a silly thing, I wont do it, doubt I could actually kill someone even

Russians want the oil, lord know what the Chechnyans want, but theyll fight it out, until I think inevitably Russia wins, I think we're killing them faster than they are reproducing, they have resorted to using child soldiers because of this, and they were horrid scenarios at first, because the Russian soldiers would not kill children, but the children had AKs (I wonder how they even managed to hold one) and were more than willing to shoot the Russian soldiers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.