1. New: Christian Forums Staff Recruit Video.- It's that time of year again. We are having our annual Staff Recruit Drive. Simply ask any staffer to help you apply and enjoy the video...
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Please help us test our new CF PrayPal app available right now in the Google Play store for Android devices. The iPhone app should be available within the next few days. If you would be so kind to also add a review for it that would be great! Thanks!

Just Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russian Orthodox wants joint traditional front with Catholics

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Dorothea, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    09:17 November 16th, 2009
    Russian Orthodox wants joint traditional front with Catholics

13 Nov 2009/courtesy of Orthodoxie.com)
    Archbishop Hilarion Alfeyev, the Russian Orthodox Church’s top official for relations with other churches, has been busy this past week putting his revived church’s stamp on the world Christian scene. Over the weekend, he urged Catholics and Orthodox to join forces to defend their traditional version of Christianity. His comments, made during a visit to Paris to inaugurate his Church’s first seminary outside of Russia, come only days after positive remarks he made last week about how the Vatican and Moscow were slowly moving towards a meeting between Moscow’s Patriarch Kirill and Pope Benedict. Also last week, Hilarion indicated the Russian Orthodox might end their ecumenical dialogue with Lutherans after Germany’s Protestants elected a divorced woman, Bishop Margot Kässmann, as the new head of the Evangelical Church in Germany (EKD). After all this, he planned to take off for a visit to China.
    [​IMG]

(Photo: Saint Seraphin Russian Orthodox Church (Ecumenical Patriarchate) in a courtyard in the 15th arrondissement of Paris, 27 Sept 2009/Tom Heneghan)

At his news conference, the 43-year-old archbishop said the Catholic and Orthodox churches were “already working together in many areas. Their views are almost identical in matters of doctrine and social ethics. They could show all these values in secular society, nationally or internationally, for example regarding the concept of family, environment, economy, education etc.. Orthodox and Catholics should find a common language and speak with one voice to defend the values that derive from their faith. They could also work effectively in many areas of social and charitable work. This testimony and cooperation, I am sure, could help us take a different approach to the theological issues that divide us. They could make the question of unity more interesting to a wider audience, which is little concerned with theological issues such as the Filioque or primacy issues, but sensitive to questions that concern everyday life. I had the honour to raise these issues with His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI last September, during my visit to Rome.”

He also evoked this theme at the opening of the Russian Orthodox seminary in a former 17th-century Catholic convent in Epinay-sous-Sénart outside of Paris. “The opening of an Orthodox seminary of the Moscow Patriarchate in Paris is an unprecedented event,” he said. “The seminary is called among other things to become an important center of rapprochement between traditional Christian Churches in Europe … The primary task of Paris Seminary is to offer high-quality theological education. The seminary is also to become a link between the Russian Orthodox Church and Christians in France.”

Hilarion said Catholics and Orthodox were making progress in theological discussions on issues that split them in the Great Schism over a millennium ago. But he said the Moscow Patriarchate took a “prudent” approach to the “uncertain and distant results of theological dialogue … it knows that such a dialogue will probably take decades to come to a result.”
    [​IMG][​IMG]On that dialogue with German Protestants, Hilarion was quoted last week as citing protocol problems arising from Kässmann’s election. “We can develop the dialogue, but there are lots of simple protocol questions. How will the Patriarch address her or meet with her?” the Interfax news agency quoted him as saying. This elicited a sharp reaction from Kässman and Bishop Martin Schindehütte, Hilarion’s counterpart in the EKD. In a joint letter to Patriarch Kirill, they expressed their “great surprise and incomprehension” at his “unsuitable” remarks on her election. They said there was a Christian commandment of mutual respect “im geschwisterlichen Umgang” (in brotherly and sisterly interchange) among churches despite theological differences and regretted that a planned ceremony on November 30 to mark 50 years of EKD-Russian Orthodox dialogue had to be called off.

FaithWorld » Blog Archive » Russian Orthodox wants joint traditional front with Catholics | Blogs |

2. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    social ethics? I can see that. doctrine? no.

ugh, here we go again.

3. Michael G

Michael G Abe Frohmann

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I am not even going to say what I am thinking. Those of you who know me well enough can say it for me...

4. Michael G

Michael G Abe Frohmann

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I am not even going to say what I am thinking. Those of you who know me well enough can say it for me...

5. HandmaidenOfGod

HandmaidenOfGod Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I agree with Vladyka's statements, and have full faith that our Orthodox Bishops will not compromise the Orthodox faith while increasing communication with our friends in Rome.

6. ProScribe

ProScribe New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    * I already read this article.

7. Christos Anesti

Christos Anesti Junior Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
  8. Andrew21091

Andrew21091 Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    We have to hope, even though many of our bishops have already compromised the Faith many times. I pray for an end to this ecumenism.

9. HandmaidenOfGod

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    It was division in Christianity that allowed Islam to be victorious in the crusades. If we continue to remain divided, Islam will be victorious once again in spreading throughout Europe and the US.

We must work to reconcile our differances and present a united front.

Do we compromise our faith? No. But to stop speaking to the RCC completely would be foolish.

We have to get over our own pride and look at the bigger threat at hand.

While you may quote St. Mark of Ephesus at me, the truth of the Sultan's turban ruling the world is closer at hand than you think.

10. Christos Anesti

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Has anyone read Archbishop Alfeyevs book on St Isaac yet? I plan to buy it soon. I'm so poor now that I have trouble buying books though . Think it's about time for the economy to turn around here in Michigan so I can get a job lol.

11. Livindesert

Livindesert New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian-Seeker

It is interesting that Byzantium fell to Islam, Rome is falling to Islam, but Protestants are fighting Islam and sending missionaries to Islamic countries.

12. All4Christ

All4Christ +The Handmaid of God Laura+ Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    As are the Orthodox. Throughout history, Orthodox Christians have evangelized Muslim countries (St. Michael of Kiev, St. Theodore of Edessa, St. Peter of Moscow, etc.) Even today, Orthodox continues to evangelize the Muslims. For example, a strong Orthodox community of 2500 was established in Indonesia, the largest Muslim country in the world, largely by the labors of Archimandrite Daniel Byantoro. Evangelism is also being done in other Muslim countries or areas, such as the Muslim regions of Bulgaria and Albania. And the list continues... By no means is the Protestant Church exclusively evangelizing Muslim countries - a different approach might be taken in the Orthodox Church....but it is by no means a less effective.

13. Christos Anesti

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;"
    Matthew 5:44

"But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also. Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise"
    Luke 6:27-31

This is how Christians fight.

14. MariaRegina

MariaRegina New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox

15. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox

I think he's just joking. Protestant countries in Europe have the most muslims. Germany's turkish and kurdish population alone is pretty high. As fAR as protestants sending missionaries to muslim countries, thats a complete joke, protestants only send to other christian countries and to a few african countries.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  16. HandmaidenOfGod

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    And you assume Orthodox are not?

Furthermore, if Protestantism is resistant to Islam, why is England employing Sharia law on its law books. Ya know, Church of England, part of the whole "Protestant Reformation"?

17. Livindesert

Livindesert New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    Europe is secular and deserves to fall. America is the new Isreal anyways. BTW how is the Hagia Sophia?

18. Livindesert

Livindesert New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    Did you know that Islam is the second most prolific religion in the Russian federation.

19. Livindesert

Livindesert New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    deleted

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  20. Livindesert

Livindesert New Member