Rod Dreher-Article post Christian

S

SeventhValley

The Post-Indiana Future for Christians | The American Conservative

A college professor who is already tenured is probably safe. Those who aren’t tenured, are in danger. Those who are believed to be religious, or at least religious in ways the legal overculture believes constitutes bigotry, will likely never be hired. For example, the professor said, he was privy to the debate within a faculty hiring meeting in which the candidacy of a liberal Christian was discussed. Though the candidate appeared in every sense to be quite liberal in her views, the fact that she was an open Christian prompted discussion as to whether or not the university would be hiring a “fundamentalist.”

Wow....when someone who attends a church that most likely accepts homosexuality is considered "too conservative" things are getting weird.

About the author of the linked article:

Rod Dreher (born February 14, 1967) is an American writer and editor. He was a conservative editorial writer and a columnist.Born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and raised in the small town of St. Francisville, Dreher holds a B.A. in journalism from Louisiana State University. Raised a Methodist, he converted to Roman Catholicism in 1993. He wrote widely in the Catholic press, but covering the Roman Catholic Church’s child sex abuse scandal, starting in 2002, led him to question his Catholicism,[3] and on October 12, 2006, he announced his conversion to Eastern Orthodoxy.

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Indeed...I sit back and wonder sometimes how our country got into this sad state of affairs.

In much much better news, as it is early Sunday morning here in China...CHRIST IS RISEN! INDEED HE IS RISEN!

Truly He is Risen!

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Maybe this is the kind of thing that varies by the academic field that you're in? When I was doing my undergraduate work in linguistics at the University of Oregon, one of my advisers was a very open Bulgarian Orthodox lady (had a three bar cross and icons in her office; nobody complained). Others were Evangelical Protestants, Assyrian Christians, etc., though the majority were probably atheists/agnostics, as is common in many fields. I don't recall there being any friction over this in any way. I could maybe understand trepidation about religious people if you're in law school because you want to make sure future lawyers are disinterested in pushing religiously-based laws (of course, laws that are anti-religion are fine...grumble), but I wouldn't be surprised if outside of that a lot of anti-Christian sentiment is of the more base "haha, how can you be so dumb?" variety, and not actually denying people jobs or tenure.

Upvote 0