So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why is it that when Christians commit acts of terrorism, non-violent Christians aren't demanded to apologize on behalf of all Christians? Why the double standard?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/u...llenges-perceptions-of-top-terror-threat.html
Because terrorism is a dog whistle word that means "muslims" to some people.

In another thread I posted about a terrorism attack in Minnesota, I literally got flamed for calling white Christians "terrorists" with the, apparently sincere, note that "Terrorists means Muslims".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aelred of Rievaulx

Nov 11, 2015
✟12,231.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
In another thread I posted about a terrorism attack in Minnesota, I literally got flamed when for calling white Christians "terrorists" with the, apparently sincere, note that "Terrorists means Muslims".
I heard about the attack outside of this thread and new what you meant when I read your post. Not too many people are aware but terrorism is actually quite a recent phenomena and most scholars would be inclined to think of four main waves of terrorism: beginning with the Russian anarchists in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, the anti-colonial, the new Left and subsequently this new religious turn. If understood together they can be seen as part of the one phenomena of disenfranchised anti-nationalists opposed to the capitalist framework which has engrained itself on nationalism. I do hold a soft spot for the anti-colonialists... Yet, one man's terrorist is another man's liberator, one could say.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I heard about the attack outside of this thread and new what you meant when I read your post. Not too many people are aware but terrorism is actually quite a recent phenomena and most scholars would be inclined to think of four main waves of terrorism: beginning with the Russian anarchists in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, the anti-colonial, the new Left and subsequently this new religious turn. If understood together they can be seen as part of the one phenomena of disenfranchised anti-nationalists opposed to the capitalist framework which has engrained itself on nationalism. I do hold a soft spot for the anti-colonialists... Yet, one man's terrorist is another man's liberator, one could say.
From elsewhere:

"Terrorism, or, more correctly, asymmetric warfare, is really the only viable military strategy for impoverished and disenfranchised small groups, particularly when facing larger nation states. Today, most of the groups who fit that box are Muslim. 70 years ago, they were Christian. 70 years from now, who knows? Zoroastrians? Don't make the mistake of thinking Islam and extremism are linked. They aren't. Disempowerment and extremism are linked."

Upvote 0