REWORDED: Can SALVATION be gained without repentance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaLuvena

Nov 18, 2008
Apia, Samoa
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think about this in this manner.

My life is like a long straight path. At one end, is the light, representing God. At the other end, is the darkness. When I am born, I start out in the middle, and head off towards the darkness. In this state, every "sin" I commit is a step toward the dark, while every good deed, every time I repent, it's a step backwards, towards the light.

However, when I accept Christ, it's like I make a 180 degree turn, and start walking towards the light. When I'm walking towards the light, if I sin, I also take a backward step. When I do something good, or repent, I take a step towards the light.

The important thing, however, is not the direction I travel, but the way I'm facing. As long as I face the light, I will be saved. As long as I look towards God, I will be healed, even if I do not reach the end of the path where God is. God has promised to come down the path to get me, when my life is over, because I am looking towards him.

The image of Nehushtan comes to mind. The Israelites did not have to reach the bronze serpent to be saved, all they had to do was look upon it.

It's the same with us. All we have to do, is look to Christ, and we will be saved. God will save us.

Salvation cannot be lost. Well, it can, if we are the ones keeping it. If God keeps our salvation, as the Bible says He does, He will never lose it. Ever.

Upvote 0
C

Cassidy

I think about this in this manner.

My life is like a long straight path. At one end, is the light, representing God. At the other end, is the darkness. When I am born, I start out in the middle, and head off towards the darkness. In this state, every "sin" I commit is a step toward the dark, while every good deed, every time I repent, it's a step backwards, towards the light.

However, when I accept Christ, it's like I make a 180 degree turn, and start walking towards the light. When I'm walking towards the light, if I sin, I also take a backward step. When I do something good, or repent, I take a step towards the light.

The important thing, however, is not the direction I travel, but the way I'm facing. As long as I face the light, I will be saved. As long as I look towards God, I will be healed, even if I do not reach the end of the path where God is. God has promised to come down the path to get me, when my life is over, because I am looking towards him.

The image of Nehushtan comes to mind. The Israelites did not have to reach the bronze serpent to be saved, all they had to do was look upon it.

It's the same with us. All we have to do, is look to Christ, and we will be saved. God will save us.

Salvation cannot be lost. Well, it can, if we are the ones keeping it. If God keeps our salvation, as the Bible says He does, He will never lose it. Ever.

Well done! :thumbsup::amen::clap:

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An unregenerate person cannot cease from sin. It is like asking an evil tree to start putting forth good fruit. It cannot.
In the gospels, the context of the repentance message is same as it is in the OT. The law in the OT was intended to show people by exercise that they were fallen and in need of grace. As they attempted to keep the law, they would find by experience that they could not. Repentance from sin... both in the OT and by the unregenerate in the NT, is a attempt that is, by design, intended to fail!

If you can repent from sin before being born again, then you do not need to be born again (of course you cannot).
The full effect and intention of repentance from sin is to fail, and to bring you broken and hopeless to the foot of the cross where salvation by mercy, grace, and faith await you.

Upvote 0

geetrue

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
Beach House
Visit site
✟73,776.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
For years I would just let this little saying spill out of my mouth, "The Blood of Jesus only pays for the sins you repent of" "You will hear about the sins you didn't repent of on judgement day"

I let this little dity out at a mens bible study and the rest of the men let me know that this was not true that once forgiven always forgiven. I said a little prayer for them and let the subject go even though I have scripture back up in Hebrews 10:26

Hebrews 10:26 said:
For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins
http://christianforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=49700763#_ftnref1

I don't really know what happens when you die ... you can't believe those dead people lol ...

But if it is during the tribulations the Bible is very plain about what will happen.

Revelations 20: 4-5
And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

There is another judgement day at the end of the thousand years of peace in Revelations 20: 12-15

And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books.

The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works.

Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

http://christianforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=49700763#_ftn1http://christianforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=49700763#_ftnref1

http://christianforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=49700763#_ftn1http://christianforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=49700763#_ftnref1

Upvote 0
C

Cassidy

For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins

Yep because the first sacrifice was enough!!

And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

There is only one name worthy enough to be written in the book of life.

The problem with your theory is that you forget to add the rest of the scriptures to them...like the ones that say that God will keep us from falling and the ones that say that Jesus doesn't lose sheep and no one can pluck them out of his hand....and the ones that talk about God finishing what he started in us. You forget about the ones we the Father disciplines those he loves.

You cannot build a theory on a few scriptures...you have to add them all and allow them to harmonise together. The bible doesn't contradict itself.

For years I would just let this little saying spill out of my mouth, "The Blood of Jesus only pays for the sins you repent of" "You will hear about the sins you didn't repent of on judgement day"

Then this ditty is wrong because it doesn't account for the scriptures pertaining to the sons of God...you know..the ones who are made righteous in Christ?'

Not only that but that kind of attitude brings nothing but fear and condemnation to those who feel they never measure up.

I should know...I used to be one of them when I believed as you do...I thought I was going to hell no matter what I did....and I used to worry that I remembered each and ever sin I committed so that I could repent of them....was a very sad and damaging place to be.

I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.