1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Revelation: The Bride, The Beast & Babylon

Discussion in 'Eschatology - Endtimes & Prophecy Forum' started by Leuko Petra, Aug 11, 2013.

1. MoreCoffee

MoreCoffee O God,come to my aid.O Lord,make haste to help me. Supporter CF Ambassador

Faith:
    Catholic
    The bride is Christ's Church; the ancient churches are the presence of Christ's church in today's world.

The beast is all the opposes Christ's church and kingdom; in ancient times it was the Roman empire with its state religion of paganism in modern times it is every political and philosophical system that opposes Christ.

Babylon in ancient times was the centre of worldly religions that sought to corrupt the worship and religion of the people of God. In Jesus' day it was Rome, in later times it has been many centres of such opposition, today it is the alluring secular city - saint Augustine called it the city of man which was opposed to the city of God.

2. Stryder06

Stryder06 Check the signature

Faith:
    Seventh-Day-Adventist
    False. The beasts depicted in Revelation represent a specific kingdoms.

Babylon represents confusion. In Revelation, because this is a message to God's people, it's talking about a system that causes confusion among them.

3. MoreCoffee

MoreCoffee O God,come to my aid.O Lord,make haste to help me. Supporter CF Ambassador

Faith:
    Catholic
    Why do you associate Babylon with confusion?

4. Stryder06

Faith:
    Seventh-Day-Adventist
    That doesn't sound like confusion to you? ;)

5. Hentenza

Hentenza I will fear no evil for You are with me Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

6. MoreCoffee

Faith:
    Catholic
    It looks like what I said before and with which you disagreed.
    Babylon in ancient times was the centre of worldly religions that sought to corrupt the worship and religion of the people of God. In Jesus' day it was Rome, in later times it has been many centres of such opposition, today it is the alluring secular city - saint Augustine called it the city of man which was opposed to the city of God.​

7. Hentenza

Hentenza I will fear no evil for You are with me Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There has indeed been false teachers and they have deceived many, but I am still at a loss about which is the false church that came from the true church.

8. Stryder06

Faith:
    Seventh-Day-Adventist

9. Stryder06

Faith:
    Seventh-Day-Adventist
    I disagreed with the idea that Babylon was Rome, or a secular city for today. The part that I copied I agreed with, and it explains why I believe Babylon represents confusion.

10. NewUser123

NewUser123 New Member

:)
    During the days of Jesus, Jerusalem also had a corrupt wordly religion, and look at what happened to it in AD70 ;)

http://www.christianforums.com/t7570002-7/
    Why Jerusalem is Mystically Called Sodom[Jerusalem] and Egypt[Judea/Israel]

The Destruction of Jerusalem - George Peter Holford, 1805AD

The Destruction Of
    JERUSALEM
    An Absolute and Irresistible
    PROOF OF THE DIVINE ORIGIN OF
    CHRISTIANITY:

11. Hentenza

Faith:
    Baptist
    When did the apostasy happen and who is the man of lawlessness?

12. Stryder06

Faith:
    Seventh-Day-Adventist
    I do believe the reformers had an idea of who the false church was. But I'm guessing we're going to see this quite differently as I believe these events have already come to pass, while you think they are future still.

13. Stryder06

Faith:
    Seventh-Day-Adventist
    Sorry, don't have a date. I'd say whenever men started teaching doctrines of their own over the scriptures. Sometime around there. And I think you already know the Adventist POV in regards to the lawless one.

14. NewUser123

NewUser123 New Member

Both Rome and Jerusalem were confused, and why our bro Paul was sent to both :)

Act 19:21
    When these things were accomplished, Paul purposed in the Spirit, when he had passed through Macedonia and Achaia, to go to Jerusalem, saying, "After I have been there, I must also see Rome."
    Act 23:11
    But the following night the Lord stood by him and said, "Be of good cheer, Paul; for as you have testified for Me in Jerusalem, so you must also bear witness at Rome."

15. Hentenza

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reformers protested Rome and some even taught that the pope was the antichrist, and yet, the congregants of Rome did not apostasy and the pope did not turn out to be the antichrist.

The verbs used in scripture regarding these events are future not past. I believe scripture. Secondly, you are yet to tell me who the man of lawlessness is.

16. Hentenza

Faith:
    Baptist
    Around the 19th century? ;):cool:

No proven.

17. Stryder06

Faith:
    Seventh-Day-Adventist
    If that's what you believe.

They were future at the time of the writing. They are past now because they have been fulfilled.

18. NewUser123

NewUser123 New Member

Revelation: The Bride, The Beast & Babylon

I can picture OC Jerusalem in the NT as the "Woman" and the beast it was riding as ancient Rome

John 19:
    12 From then on Pilate sought to release Him, but the Jews cried out, saying, "If you let this Man go, you are not Caesar's friend. Whoever makes himself a king speaks against Caesar."
    15 But they cried out, "Away with [Him], away with [Him]! Crucify Him!"
    Pilate said to them, "Shall I crucify your King?" The chief priests answered, "We have no king but Caesar!"

The Destruction of Jerusalem - George Peter Holford, 1805AD

The day on which Titus encompassed Jerusalem, was the feast of the Passover ; and it is deserving of the very particular attention of the reader, that this was the anniversary of that memorable period in which the Jews crucified their Messiah !................

19. Hentenza

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the time of the reformation no apostasy occurred. Some remain with the Roman church while others moved to other churches.

lol No. No evidence for a great apostasy exists and the man of lawlessness, who will be revealed during the tribulation, is yet to be revealed. Secondly, the restrainer, which is the Holy Spirit, is still present among the faithful.

20. Stryder06

Faith:
    Seventh-Day-Adventist
    A couple thousands years off, but that's ok.

Been proven. It being accepted by the majority is another matter. Choice of truth is the reason for the 41k or so denominations in the world, which ought to be proof enough of apostasy.