Resurgence of Hinduism in Indonesia

ander_cool

Oct 10, 2004
✟15,505.00
Faith
Humanist
Politics
US-Democrat
The resurgence of Hinduism in Indonesia is occurring in all parts of the country. In the early seventies, the Toraja people of Sulawesi were the first to be identified under the umbrella of 'Hinduism', followed by the Karo Batak of Sumatra in 1977 and the Ngaju Dayak of Kalimantan in 1980.

The growth of Hinduism has been driven also by the famous Javanese prophesies of Sabdapalon and Jayabaya.

Many recent converts to Hinduism had been members of the families of Sukarno's PNI, and now support Megawati Sukarnoputri. This return return to the 'religion of Majapahit' (Hinduism) is a matter of nationalist pride.

The new Hindu communities in Java tend to be concentrated around recently built temples (pura) or around archaeological temple sites (candi) which are being reclaimed as places of Hindu worship. An important new Hindu temple in eastern Java is Pura Mandaragiri Sumeru Agung, located on the slope of Mt. Semeru, Java's highest mountain. Mass conversions have also occurred in the region around Pura Agung Blambangan, another new temple, built on a site with minor archaeological remnants attributed to the kingdom of Blambangan, the last Hindu polity on Java, and Pura Loka Moksa Jayabaya (in the village of Menang near Kediri), where the Hindu king and prophet Jayabaya is said to have achieved spiritual liberation (moksa). Another site is the new Pura Pucak Raung in East Java, which is mentioned in Balinese literature as the place from where Maharishi Markandeya took Hinduism to Bali in the fifth century AD.

An example of resurgence around major archaeological remains of ancient Hindu temple sites was observed in Trowulan near Mojokerto,the capital of the legendary Hindu empire Majapahit. A local Hindu movement is struggling to gain control of a newly excavated temple building which they wish to see restored as a site of active Hindu worship. The temple is to be dedicated to Gajah Mada, the man attributed with transforming the small Hindu kingdom of Majapahit into an empire. Although there has been a more pronounced history of resistance to Islamization in East Java, Hindu communities are also expanding in Central Java near the ancient Hindu monuments of Prambanan.

The current estimates of Hinduism in Indonesia range from 4 to 8 percent. Famous Bali island is 98% Hindu dominated.

MAXX

Oct 17, 2004
✟504.00
Faith
Hindu
Indonesians are very proud of there Hindu heritage (unlike other muslim countries which completely reject there history) and Majapahit (last hindu king) is respected almost allover in Indonesia. Hindu culture is deep rooted even today in muslim population of Indonesia. I have read many articles describing Hindu revivalism in Indonesia specially in and around Java.

Very interesting thing is the study of two prophesies of Sabdapalon and Joyoboyo which are very popular and respected in Indonesia. Acc. to these prophesies, Indonesia will again come to it's Hindu roots.

I found this article very interesting which was originally published in "The Australian Journal of Anthropology". It explains in detail reasons and speed of Hinduism's revival in Indonesia.
http://www.swaveda.com/articles.php?action=show&id=49

In an unpublished report in 1999, the National Indonesian Bureau of Statistics tacitly admits that nearly 100.000 Javanese have officially converted or 'reconverted' from Islam to Hinduism over the last two decades. At the same time, the East Javanese branch of the government Hindu organization PHDI (below) in an annual report claims the 'Hindu congregation' (umat hindu) of this province to have grown by 76000 souls in this year alone. The figures are not entirely reliable or objective, nor can they adequately reflect the proportions of Java's new Hindu revival movement, based as they are on the religion stated on people's identity cards (kartu tanda penduduk or 'KTP') or on other measures of formal religious affiliation. According to my own observations, many conversions are informal only, at least for now. In addition, formal figures often do not adequately distinguish between religious conversions and general population growth, given that most government agencies only record people's religion at birth.

Problems with estimating rates of conversion aside, it is remarkable that despite their local minority status the total number of Hindus in Java now exceeds that of Hindus in Bali. Data collected independently during my preliminary research in Eastern Java further suggest that the rate of conversion accelerated dramatically during and after the collapse of former President Suharto's authoritarian regime in 1998.

A further prophesy, well-known throughout Java and Indonesia, is the Ramalan (or Jangka) Jayabaya. A recent publication on these prophesies by Soesetro & Arief (1999) has become a national best seller. The predictions of Jayabaya are also discussed frequently in daily newspapers. These ancient prophesies, indeed, are very much a part of a current public debate on the ideal shape of a new and genuinely democratic Indonesia.

Sabdapalon was a priest and adviser to Brawijaya V, the last ruler of the Hindu empire Majapahit in Java. He is also said to have cursed his king upon the conversion of the latter to Islam in 1478. Sabdapalon then promised to return, after 500 years and at a time of widespread political corruption and natural disasters, to sweep Islam from the island and restore Hindu-Javanese religion and civilization. Some of the first new Hindu temples built in Java were indeed completed around 1978, for example Pura Blambangan in the regency of Banyuwangi. As the prophesies foretold, Mt. Semeru erupted around the same time. All this is taken as evidence of the accuracy of Sabdapalon's predictions.

Upvote 0

sefroth77

May 20, 2005
✟1,387.00
Faith
Other Religion
Indonesia was rich and powerful under the Majapahit Hindu Empire, when Islam took over everything fall apart, its rich culture everything, The Hindu survivers fled to Bali. it was not a peaceful conversion, it was forced upon by Islamic Onslaught.

I'm happy that Some part of Sanatana Dharma is coming back in indonesia, Muslims now feel the heat of the poor islamic heritage compared to the rich Hindu one.

Upvote 0

ander_cool

Oct 10, 2004
✟15,505.00
Faith
Humanist
Politics
US-Democrat
MAXX said:
Indonesians are very proud of there Hindu heritage (unlike other muslim countries which completely reject there history) and Majapahit (last hindu king) is respected almost allover in Indonesia. Hindu culture is deep rooted even today in muslim population of Indonesia. I have read many articles describing Hindu revivalism in Indonesia specially in and around Java.

And this is the main reason why Hindu revival in indonesia is smooth and without any backlash because even Muslims are not ready to oppose there Hindu background. This is very very different situation from rest of arab muslim countries where Muslims think there history started when they converted to Islam. At these places they don't want to remember there History before Islam.

Very interesting thing is the study of two prophesies of Sabdapalon and Joyoboyo which are very popular and respected in Indonesia. Acc. to these prophesies, Indonesia will again come to it's Hindu roots.

I found this article very interesting which was originally published in "The Australian Journal of Anthropology". It explains in detail reasons and speed of Hinduism's revival in Indonesia.

Thanks for sharing this paper. It will proove to be a great help for my project related to Indonesia.

Upvote 0

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,324.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
ander_cool said:
And this is the main reason why Hindu revival in indonesia is smooth and without any backlash because even Muslims are not ready to oppose there Hindu background. This is very very different situation from rest of arab muslim countries where Muslims think there history started when they converted to Islam. At these places they don't want to remember there History before Islam.

what a load of ****
i love it that there are so many people around here who are arrogant and selfloving enough to make such broad statements.

Upvote 0

ander_cool

Oct 10, 2004
✟15,505.00
Faith
Humanist
Politics
US-Democrat
mala said:
what a load of ****
i love it that there are so many people around here who are arrogant and selfloving enough to make such broad statements.
:confused:
What is arrogance in my statement? Anybody who knows about Indonesian and Arab muslims can see the difference. There is more intolerance in Arab than in Indonesia. Indonesians are proud of Hindu History of Majapahit and before whereas in Arab all signs of pre-Islamic History are History now.

Upvote 0

urnotme

Jun 8, 2005
✟2,580.00
Faith
Nazarene
mala said:
what a load of ****
Was hinduism in pre islamic arabia? I was gong to search for it but I might get a load of ++++. What religion were the pagans?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ServantofTheOne

Aug 19, 2004
✟1,449.00
Faith
Muslim
sefroth77 said:
Indonesia was rich and powerful under the Majapahit Hindu Empire, when Islam took over everything fall apart, its rich culture everything, The Hindu survivers fled to Bali. it was not a peaceful conversion, it was forced upon by Islamic Onslaught.

I'm happy that Some part of Sanatana Dharma is coming back in indonesia, Muslims now feel the heat of the poor islamic heritage compared to the rich Hindu one.

which muslim army marched into indonesia? or are you misinformed about history.

Upvote 0

sefroth77

May 20, 2005
✟1,387.00
Faith
Other Religion
ServantofTheOne said:
which muslim army marched into indonesia? or are you misinformed about history.

Than why did the Hindus fled to Bali ? Can you answer that. This Islamic conversion of Indonesia could have been a big cover-up, how did mass hindus become muslims ?? The Sultan converts expects his followers to convert.....Hindus were deprived of basic needs and were forced to convert, this is another reason. My point is why did the Hindus fled to Bali ??

Even in Islamic Land today if you are a Pagan living on Islamic Land you will be treated with less respect from mainstream Muslims...do you deny this ? These Forced the Pagans to accept Islam.

Upvote 0

ServantofTheOne

Aug 19, 2004
✟1,449.00
Faith
Muslim
i would encourage you to research the subject further as indonesia was never part of any islamic caliphate nor under any jurisdiction of any foreign islamic army.

and today indonesia is the country with the most muslim population(280million approx) in the world.

history will testify that not a single foriegn muslim soldier stepped foot on indonesian soil.

Upvote 0

sefroth77

May 20, 2005
✟1,387.00
Faith
Other Religion
ServantofTheOne said:
i would encourage you to research the subject further as indonesia was never part of any islamic caliphate nor under any jurisdiction of any foreign islamic army.

and today indonesia is the country with the most muslim population(280million approx) in the world.

history will testify that not a single foriegn muslim soldier stepped foot on indonesian soil.

Yes i know that... But it could be wrong...I used the word "Could"......Still the Hindus of indonesia were forced to accept Islam due to gaining benefits and Generaly the trick of the Arabs is marry their girls to Sultans which in-turn makes the Sultans to accept Islam and thus by his word his followers become muslims because circumstances forced them to. Hindus could have been deprived of basic needs just for being Hindu.

The Question is Why did the remaining Hindus fled to Bali ??? anyway there are many hindus living in indonesia as muslims on paper but Hindus in practice. I've read a article on this.

Upvote 0

ServantofTheOne

Aug 19, 2004
✟1,449.00
Faith
Muslim
sefroth77 said:
Even in Islamic Land today if you are a Pagan living on Islamic Land you will be treated with less respect from mainstream Muslims...do you deny this ? These Forced the Pagans to accept Islam.

you are contending that the billion+ muslims today became muslim under duress.

how much pressure would you need to change your religion?? can a belief be forced upon people? if it did happen how long would it last, did they have a police on every corner ensuring that the newly forced converts practiced the religion? is it so unacceptable to you that people geniunely adopted islam with conviction and sincere belief willingly.. or would you rather believe the fairy tale that big bad muslims marauded around the world and forced people to believe in islam.

there are no muslim armies in europe and america and no forced compulsion, yet waves of westerners are becoming muslims by the day. All Praise be to God, the most compassionate, the most merciful. guess what 3 of 4 of those converts are women. so much for the argument that islam degrades women.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
ServantofTheOne said:
how much pressure would you need to change your religion?? can a belief be forced upon people? if it did happen how long would it last, did they have a police on every corner ensuring that the newly forced converts practiced the religion? is it so unacceptable to you that people geniunely adopted islam with conviction and sincere belief willingly.. or would you rather believe the fairy tale that big bad muslims marauded around the world and forced people to believe in islam.

That much is true. I often feel a similar sentiment when the Hindus level this charge against Christianity.

ServantofTheOne said:
there are no muslim armies in europe and america and no forced compulsion, yet waves of westerners are becoming muslims by the day. All Praise be to God, the most compassionate, the most merciful. guess what 3 of 4 of those converts are women. so much for the argument that islam degrades women.

I wouldn't call western converts "waves." Here in Minnesota, Islam doesn't seem to be a very popular religion. And I've only seen one Muslim evangelist (for lack of a better term) in my entire life.

Upvote 0

Livindesert

Jun 21, 2005
✟2,834.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
today if you are a Pagan living on Islamic Land you will be treated with less respect from mainstream Muslims

Try being Pagan in a christian country. You don't have to worry about being killed but you are treated with less respect.

Upvote 0

Proud Hindu

Veteran
Feb 10, 2004
✟1,394.00
Faith
Hindu
urnotme said:
Was hinduism in pre islamic arabia? I was gong to search for it but I might get a load of ++++. What religion were the pagans?

It's true that Hinduism and Buddhism had less success in the west than they did in the north, east, and south of India. When emperor Asoka of India sent Buddhist monks westwards around 250 BC, they were killed by the Arabs.

Nonetheless, there was significant Buddhist and Hindu influence in the Middle East, and even in Southeast Europe. Even today, some Hindus live in these countries, but they must practice their religion in secret, for fear of persecution.

ander_cool said:
:confused:
What is arrogance in my statement? Anybody who knows about Indonesian and Arab muslims can see the difference. There is more intolerance in Arab than in Indonesia. Indonesians are proud of Hindu History of Majapahit and before whereas in Arab all signs of pre-Islamic History are History now.

That is true. At least in Bali, and most of Indonesia thousands of magnificent Hindu temples are still standing.

Let's see the Arab tolerance of the Dharmic religions:

Enormous 1,500 year old Buddhist statues, destroyed recently by the Afghans:

enlarged.b4.statue.jpg

Upvote 0

sefroth77

May 20, 2005
✟1,387.00
Faith
Other Religion
ServantofTheOne said:
you are contending that the billion+ muslims today became muslim under duress..

Yes. Its not possible to convince billion souls that hey my religion holds the truth. What happen in Medivel India,Persia, Africa,Afganisthan,Pakistan,Bangladesh is Hindus and other Pagans are converted under the sword. The great Indian holocust where many hindus and buddist men were killed while the women and children became slaves. Unless these men become muslims they will have their throat slit. Thats is why you see many muslims today 1 billion whose forefathers were converted under the sword while the rest were converted under duress because they were pagans they were treated on par with animals unless they become muslims. This Tactic gain many conversion. This is a Fact an not any myth.

Why Must non-musilms in Muslim land pay higher tax as mention in the quran, wont these lead to conversion to islam ? You answer me. That fairy tale is not a tale its a fact. The myth is people converting to islam based on sincere belief willingly in those times.

No muslim army in europe in medival times ??? Go check your history. No Forced complulsion in Ancient Persia and India, Go and get your facts right please go and reasearch on that (Warning: Do not go to Islamic sources they are liars)

I Challenge you this........You said Allah is most compassionate and most merciful.

Most Compassionate means Compassion to the higest degree, Most Merciful means Merciful to the Higest degree. Mother therasa took in children of all races and religion she did not instill her own belief to these children instead these children are allowed to practiced their faith. Her intention was only to shower them with love and care. This is compassion at a very high level and Allah have to be better than this. If Allah is the Most Compassionate than there is none equal to him on that aspect.

In Islam People of other religion other than Islam was label as Pagans,Infidels,People of the Book, Unclean, Kafirs etc, There are many verses in the Quran which punishes people who don't accept Islam. It means Billions of People are already heading for Hell-Fire, How on Earth can Allah be all merciful and most compassionate ???? Can you answer this ??? Is Allah only merciful to Muslims ???

guess what 3 of 4 of those converts are women. so much for the argument that islam degrades women

yet waves of westerners are becoming muslims by the day.

Nonsense i've posted a data on conversion many months ago in this forum, go and do a search on my article, do you know Muslims conversion rate is one of the Lowest in the world, way below Christianity,Buddism,Hindusim and even the Baha'i faith boast higher conversion rates... don't read from islamic sources they are lying everyday. Islam is alive today because of Higher Birth rates nothing-else, another contributing factor is Inter-Marriages between Muslims and Non-Muslims. When a man or a women have no choice but to convert to islam to marry their loved ones, this is another forced conversion tactic employ by muslims.

The ratio of people who convert to islam based on logical understanding of the faith is very minor. Very Very Few of them and out of that many converted because of Fear of Hell. Some Western women from outside sees Islam as a protector of women but when they start to read the quran they are in for a shock.

THE ONLY WAY TO LEAVE ISLAM IS READING THE QURAN WITH A OPEN MIND, ONLY BY READING IT WITH A OPEN MIND AND EARSE THE FEAR OF HELL MUSLIMS CAN COME OUT OF ISLAM AND RESPECT ALL HUMANS WITH EQUAL VISION.

Here is the religion of God the one true God whose followers are below.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." -Pascal

BangaliHindu.jpg

A Hindu being beaten by Muslims in a mosque in Bangladesh. He was captured outside the mosque while going home. After Friday prayers were over, the Muslims came out and grabbed the first Hindu they could. Mr. Vimal Patak a Bangladeshi born Hindu was beaten to death with sticks as the Muslim mullas (priests) chanted "kill the Kafir!" (non-muslim). With folded hands he begged for his life and died a brutal death. It clearly show the cruelty of Islam. "

beatingwomen.jpg

And take in your hand a green branch and beat her with It and do not break your oath; (Q.38:44) Clarification.

Taliban's Moral Police beating an Afghan Woman in Kabul for flashing her arm in public!

Thats women in islam for you.

Not being boastful here but i have to say the Islamic Philosophy is very easy for me to refute i have defeated many Muslims when debating strictly on religion, are you next ? bring it on

Upvote 0

ServantofTheOne

Aug 19, 2004
✟1,449.00
Faith
Muslim
how do you explain the fast growing hispanic muslim community? was there any muslim conquerers in USA? South america? please cite something to support your argument rather than posting baseless conjecture.

"Current figures approximate the number of Latino Muslims in the United States to be as low as 25,000 and as high as 75,000. While the growth of Latino Muslims is a steadily increasing phenomenon, little to no information exists in an analytic fashion that helps to explain the new religious community. However, the dozens of journalists that have covered the phenomenon in their local communities has enabled its increased visibility, which has now reached national and international news outlets. This article introduces the growing Latino Muslim community of the United States by outlining different trends and concerns taking place within the group. The article provides an introduction to Islam as a faith and ends with commentary concerning the possible future study of the subject. "

"Islam’s visible presence in the black community dates back to the early years of the 20th century and has grown exponentially since. Today the African American Muslim community is extremely diverse in its makeup, which has produced multiple layers of cultural contribution to American society by way of religious orientation"

http://www.pluralism.org/research/profiles/display.php?profile=72671

your theory falls flat.

Upvote 0