Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ephesians 5:11

No Christian business I know of has refused service to homosexuals - they have only declined to provide service for a sinful activity.
"it's six! Not half a dozen!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
In reference to Justice Bosson's comments you said "the quote isn't even true". In fact, it is very true and is being acted out in our society today. The Huguenins, Justice Bosson wrote "now are compelled by law to compromise the very religious beliefs that inspire their lives."
The legal penalties being imposed on Christians who refuse to "bow to Caesar" are a direct result of disgruntled homosexuals who do not respect traditional Christian beliefs.

Yes, I said it isn't true; I did not say that he lied. Being mistaken is not the same as lying. And it isn't true. They aren't being compelled by law to compromise their religious beliefs -- they are merely not allowed to discriminate. You do realize that there were Christians who claimed this exact same thing when these same laws forced them to serve Black people in their establishments, or to marry (or provide goods for marriage) for an interracial couple?

And should Fundamentalist Mormons be able to claim they are being "compelled by law to compromise the very religious beliefs that inspire their lives" because they can't have multiple marriages? If not, what is the difference between them -- which clearly are being denied something they claim their religion calls them to do -- and a Christian merely having a limitation in what services they might offer in their business?

Again, if they cannot in good conscience offer a service to everyone, regardless of their belonging to a protected class, then they should not offer that service.

Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I said it isn't true; I did not say that he lied. Being mistaken is not the same as lying. And it isn't true. They aren't being compelled by law to compromise their religious beliefs -- they are merely not allowed to discriminate.
If you open both eyes and you will see both are true.
You do realize that there were Christians who claimed this exact same thing when these same laws forced them to serve Black people in their establishments, or to marry (or provide goods for marriage) for an interracial couple?
Don't get too parochial. That had nothing to do with mainstream Christian beliefs.

And should Fundamentalist Mormons be able to claim they are being "compelled by law to compromise the very religious beliefs that inspire their lives" because they can't have multiple marriages? If not, what is the difference between them -- which clearly are being denied something they claim their religion calls them to do -- and a Christian merely having a limitation in what services they might offer in their business?
The mainstream Mormon Church does not endorse polygamy. Accommodation should not be made for any fringe religious group to do whatever they want. However, Christianity has been a major aspect of Western culture for centuries and as such should be respected and accommodated.
Again, if they cannot in good conscience offer a service to everyone, regardless of their belonging to a protected class, then they should not offer that service.
Businesses should be able to discriminate against activities that violate their Christian conscience based on well established mainstream religious beliefs, especially when those service are easily available elsewhere. It is simply malice that denies them that right.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Don't get too parochial. That had nothing to do with mainstream Christian beliefs.
But discriminating against providing legal services to icky gays? That's mainstream.

Apparently.

What a lovely day it is here in the mainstream Christian belief cherry orchard.

Reactions: Maren
Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
If you open both eyes and you will see both are true.

The mainstream Mormon Church does not endorse polygamy. Accommodation should not be made for any fringe religious group to do whatever they want. However, Christianity has been a major aspect of Western culture for centuries and as such should be respected and accommodated.

Businesses should be able to discriminate against activities that violate their Christian conscience based on well established mainstream religious beliefs, especially when those service are easily available elsewhere. It is simply malice that denies them that right.

But if someone has a valid belief, you are saying it should be protected. Why should it matter if there beliefs are mainstream or not? Either the First Amendment protects religious expression, as you are defining it, or it doesn't. You also ignore the fact that the Mormon Church does not practice polygamy because they were forced to give it up by the government.

Upvote 0

ken777

Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But discriminating against providing legal services to icky gays? That's mainstream.

Apparently.

What a lovely day it is here in the mainstream Christian belief cherry orchard.
I've said nothing about legal services. Where did that come from? Perhaps you are just getting tired.

Upvote 0

ken777

Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"A tax on wearing yarmulkes is a tax on Jews."

If you refuse to sell a product that you otherwise sell solely based on the protected class of the customer, you are discriminating against the protected class.

"Please explain" was about the "half a dozen" comment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AHH who-stole-my-name

in accordance with Christ
Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Not His police force, but His evangelistic force. I suspect you've heard of the Great Commission?
While you were at it did you evere come upon this little bit of information. Look at Matthew chapter 10 where Christ gave authority to his decilpals to spread the word. Please pay particular close to the 11th to the 15th verse of that chapter when Christ gives them their limits as far as his authority goes. It reads like this:

Whatever town or village you enter, search there for some worthy person and stay at their house until you leave. As you enter the home, give it your greeting. If the home is deserving, let your peace rest on it; if it is not, let your peace return to you. If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet. Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town

The bolded tells us that we are not to effect or force any change on that area and that God will deal with them when he comes.

And besides, one bad apple can affect the whole barrel.I don't want the barrel I'm living in to be affected.
I don't think God is interested in rearanging his plan just to saticfy you? I would read a little of the book of JOB before extending yourself on the ground you claim as your barrel.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I've said nothing about legal services. Where did that come from? Perhaps you are just getting tired.

I'm fairly certain he meant it as "services that are not against the law." It was merely stated somewhat poorly, since it is unclear.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

ken777

Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But if someone has a valid belief, you are saying it should be protected. Why should it matter if there beliefs are mainstream or not? Either the First Amendment protects religious expression, as you are defining it, or it doesn't. You also ignore the fact that the Mormon Church does not practice polygamy because they were forced to give it up by the government.
Accommodation should be made for people who hold religious beliefs that have been a part of our culture for centuries.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ken777

Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ha ha ha! Oh man *wipes laughter tear away* I know it's a bit of an in joke you probably have to be Australian to get, but wow... the fact you chose those words...
I am Australian. Live in Perth. Now what has all that got to do with Ephesians 5:11?

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
*pssst* It's called "moving the goalposts". It's what you have to do after being called on special pleading.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Accommodation should be made for people who hold religious beliefs that have been a part of our culture for centuries.
a. there is accomodation. Don't go into an industry where you will have to provide services you are religiously opposed to

b. still not familiar with the bit where denying services to gays "has been a part of our culture for centuries". I mean, killing them, torturing them and generally persecuting them? yeah, sure, but I assume you don't mind that we don't do that stuff any more.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am Australian. Live in Perth. Now what has all that got to do with Ephesians 5:11?
Then dude, just... just come on... you're Poeing me, right? What Australian in his right mind would use the phrase "please explain" in a discussion if he hoped to be taken seriously?

Especially in a discussion about bigotry?

Upvote 0

ken777

Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
*pssst* It's called "moving the goalposts". It's what you have to do after being called on special pleading.
Talk about changing the goalposts. Businesses that have been in operation for generations are now required to submit to the moral decline of society and wishy washy christians.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.