United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Exactly there are a whole range of factors of why people go to prison and spanking is not the major one by any means. Single parent families, divorce, illegitimacy, poverty... would all figure more highly.
I would never argue that spanking is a direct reason why some people end up in prison, except in cases of physical abuse. It's more that it has a correlation with other primary factors, such as poverty and ineffective parenting styles. Spanking can be an indicator.

Reactions: Locutus
Upvote 0

zephyrWiccan

Jun 11, 2015
✟16,809.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟822,987.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You think only the politically correct would think it murder to leave a baby on a hillside to die?

No of course not. The Spartans were barbarians compared to the Athenians. But there is a lesson in the fact that their extreme discipline allowed them to dominate more civilised cultures.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Any parent who has to resort to striking their child to get them to behave in the way they want them to is someone with terrible parenting skills.

Between spanking and taking your child into the woods to cast spells, I know which one inflicts much more lasting damage. And it isn't spanking.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,245.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I agree with this. Assault and abuse are one thing - spanking another. The problem with OPs of this sort and so called scientific studies of this sort are that they seek generic answers to things that are actually unique to parents and children. Also the conclusions are never definitive to all parent child relationships because all of these relationships are different. It is the childless and government officials who need to butt out of the task of parenting children since mainly they do not know what they are talking about. Children are raised by parents and the most harmful thing governments and childless people can do to children is interfere in that relationship. I do not spank my kids cause I know there are more effective ways to handle misbehaviour in their cases. But I do not rule out the possibility entirely and will not judge parents that do spank. On occasions it might be appropriate.

Bolding mine.

Abused children might disagree.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,314.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
No of course not. The Spartans were barbarians compared to the Athenians. But there is a lesson in the fact that their extreme discipline allowed them to dominate more civilised cultures.
Actually Sparta was not THAT dominant. For example, in the Battle of Leuctra, they battled Theben and lost because of the unconventional phalanx tactics deployed against them, while in the battle of Lechaeum, they perished because of the athenian skirmishers.

In fact, Sparta didn't dominate anyone because they lacked numbers. The ruling class of the spartiates was extremely small, so small that the loss a few hundred of them was a major disaster, and they heavily relied on slaves and half-free men to do the daily work. They never projected power outside of their own city state.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,314.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Between spanking and taking your child into the woods to cast spells, I know which one inflicts much more lasting damage. And it isn't spanking.
Do you have any studies to back this view up?

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Not surprising but good to see some solid research on it. Hopefully this will be the beginning of the end of hitting children. Any parent who has to resort to striking their child to get them to behave in the way they want them to is someone with terrible parenting skills.
I always say that parents who find themselves needing to resort to spanking have already failed. If they choose to use spanking as part of their approach, that's one thing, but if they find that it's the only thing that works, then it's already too late.

Spanking is not about raising a child to be an adult. It does not teach them how to make good decisions in the future. It's about stopping a behavior in its tracks.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟822,987.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please cite the sources.

Google government websites and they will cite poverty, drug and alcohol abuse as major causes of crime. But most interestingly for those who support the Norwegian policy of kidnapping spanked children is the view that family breakdown is a major cause of crime. It is children without fathers who end up committing crimes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...-nine-times-more-likely-to-commit-crimes.html

https://unitedfamiliesinternational.wordpress.com/2013/09/10/fatherlessness-poverty-and-crime/

Upvote 0

zephyrWiccan

Jun 11, 2015
✟16,809.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Let's see your peer reviewed study of 50 years of such studies, showing that to be the case. Hop to it.

Reactions: FreeSpirit74
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,245.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Actually Sparta was not THAT dominant. For example, in the Battle of Leuctra, they battled Theben and lost because of the unconventional phalanx tactics deployed against them, while in the battle of Lechaeum, they perished because of the athenian skirmishers.

In fact, Sparta didn't dominate anyone because they lacked numbers. The ruling class of the spartiates was extremely small, so small that the loss a few hundred of them was a major disaster, and they heavily relied on slaves and half-free men to do the daily work. They never projected power outside of their own city state.

They relied in large part on reputation. Once a crack was shown others were more willing to engage them and they were unable to replace their numbers. They also feared corruption by outside influences so they failed to grow by trade or assimilation.

Sparta merely slowed down Persia at Thermopylae. The other famous battle, Marathon, where there was an actual Greek victory over Persia was Athens, not Sparta.

Nothing in Greece even came close to matching Rome. A wise man would ask why. Come to think of it some have already answered that.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,245.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Spanking is not abuse.

You made a blanket statement, your blanket statement includes abuse. According to you Government intervention is the worst thing they can do. It is not, inaction when a child is abused is much closer to the worst.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟822,987.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They relied in large part on reputation. Once a crack was shown others were more willing to engage them and they were unable to replace their numbers. They also feared corruption by outside influences so they failed to grow by trade or assimilation.

Sparta merely slowed down Persia at Thermopylae. The other famous battle, Marathon, where there was an actual Greek victory over Persia was Athens, not Sparta.

Nothing in Greece even came close to matching Rome. A wise man would ask why. Come to think of it some have already answered that.

The Romans were of course total softies when it came to corporal and capital punishment and their armies were undisciplined rabbles!!!!!

Or maybe not

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Do you have any studies to back this view up?

This is where I it gets iffy for me. I have a friend that helps people after they exit cults, or extreme groups...that type of thing.

They speak about the damage done more so from the language and overall environment and control as worse than the beatings - not spankings - they received.

People have different experiences, and what not. We shouldn't be telling them they are WRONG by requesting 'studies'. It minimizes their trauma.

We should respect people that feel spanking or in the above case of casting spells are both legitimate, and can't tell the person who experienced these things which is worse according to some study or other's opinions.

Studies can only go so far, and they don't speak for many people's experiences.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟822,987.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You made a blanket statement, your blanket statement includes abuse. According to you Government intervention is the worst thing they can do. It is not, inaction when a child is abused is much closer to the worst.

No you extracted one line from my post and made a straw man blanket statement out of it. My post distinguished between abuse/ assault and spanking at the beginning. I then said government interference was not warranted in the case of the latter. As my later posts reinforce it is my view that breaking up families is more of a problem for society than are parental choices about how to discipline their children.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's see your peer reviewed study of 50 years of such studies, showing that to be the case. Hop to it.

Fifty years? How about thousands of years of history concerning occult practices and the worship of false deities? Witchcraft, communing with spirits, pagan idolatry, spell casting, deification of nature, worship of the horned god, the right hand path, celebrating the sabbats, it is all fruit of the same poisonous tree.

Leading your child down this path:

My-Wiccan-Practice.jpg

Is far more dangerous and potentially destructive than a spanking done in an effort to actually teach right and wrong would ever be.

Upvote 0

zephyrWiccan

Jun 11, 2015
✟16,809.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Fifty years? How about thousands of years of history concerning occult practices and the worship of false deities? Witchcraft, communing with spirits, pagan idolatry, spell casting, deification of nature, worship of the horned god, the right hand path, celebrating the sabbats, it is all fruit of the same poisonous tree.

My-Wiccan-Practice.jpg

Is far more dangerous and potentially destructive than a spanking done in an effort to actually teach right and wrong would ever be.
So you don't have anything to support your claim. Gotcha.

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Really? So you have conclusive evidence that modern wicca teachings have lasting negative effects? And not just old biases based on your faith that heaven and hell are real? I realize you may believe that zephyrWiccan is worshipping satan, but she doesn't believe that, and if you had actual decent evidence of that... Well, we wouldn't still be arguing about which religion was right, would we? That's really the clear difference here - we have strong, secular evidence that spanking is bad for kids. You have circumstantial, biased, sectarian "evidence" that wicca is bad for kids.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
What's your methodology for measuring the harm caused by magic? ^_^

My-Wiccan-Practice.jpg

...a bunch of artsy candles are a problem?

Upvote 0