Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You are ignoring what happened at the cross.
No, I'm not. On the cross Jesus Christ shed his blood and died as a perfect sacrifice for the sins of fallen humanity, a sacrifice acceptable unto the Father, a demonstration of his righteousness, allowing God to be both just and the justifier of sinners (Romans 3:25).

God fulfilled his part of the covenant, offering Christ as the propitiation for sinful man. Reconciliation between Holy God and fallen man is made a reality by the blood of Christ shed on the cross of Calvary. Now the sinner, to enter into this New Covenant, must repent and trust in Christ alone.

The atonement was apparently an atonement in two senses. It was a corporate atonement for the whole of the fallen human race, sufficient to reconcile all of humanity to God, a perfect sacrifice toward this end. It was also an individual atonement, actually effectual in the remission of all sins for those who, by repentance and faith as the condition, enter into the covenant. It opens reconciliation to all of humanity, and it effectually secures salvation for all of those who will believe.

So salvation was offered to Hitler and Stalin, as well as everybody else, by virtue of the atonement. Yet because these individuals would not repent and believe, and thereby enter into the New Covenant, they were never saved and will face damnation.

The atonement offers reconciliation to all, but only justifies those who enter into the covenant.

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0
F

fozzy

No, I'm not. On the cross Jesus Christ shed his blood and died as a perfect sacrifice for the sins of fallen humanity, a sacrifice acceptable unto the Father, a demonstration of his righteousness, allowing God to be both just and the justifier of sinners (Romans 3:25).

God fulfilled his part of the covenant, offering Christ as the propitiation for sinful man. Reconciliation between Holy God and fallen man is made a reality by the blood of Christ shed on the cross of Calvary. Now the sinner, to enter into this New Covenant, must repent and trust in Christ alone.

The atonement was apparently an atonement in two senses. It was a corporate atonement for the whole of the fallen human race, sufficient to reconcile all of humanity to God, a perfect sacrifice toward this end. It was also an individual atonement, actually effectual in the remission of all sins for those who, by repentance and faith as the condition, enter into the covenant. It opens reconciliation to all of humanity, and it effectually secures salvation for all of those who will believe.

So salvation was offered to Hitler and Stalin, as well as everybody else, by virtue of the atonement. Yet because these individuals would not repent and believe, and thereby enter into the New Covenant, they were never saved and will face damnation.

The atonement offers reconciliation to all, but only justifies those who enter into the covenant.

Your understanding of the atonement sounds Arminian to me where Jesus merely provided a way or provision for Salvation. So in effect he did not save anyone at the cross just made a possibility for salvation which is then made effectual when we believe in Christ. This is false and goes against the verse I already quoted in 1Tim. where Jesus is the savior of all men and especially of those who believe.

Hitler and Stalin were actually saved at the cross and then in their individual lives when the Holy Spirit tried to lead them to repentance they stubbornly refused and were lost. Hitler and Stalin actually lost their salvation which was theirs by virtue of the shed blood of Christ who is the propitiation for our sins and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world. 1John 2:2

Upvote 0

ALoveDivine

Saved By Grace
Jun 25, 2010
Detroit, MI
✟11,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Your understanding of the atonement sounds Arminian to me where Jesus merely provided a way or provision for Salvation.
In which case you completely misunderstood me. I don't fit neatly into either the Arminian or Calvinist camp, I think they both miss the mark. I guess you could call me a 4-point Calvinist.

So in effect he did not save anyone at the cross just made a possibility for salvation which is then made effectual when we believe in Christ.
No, no, no. Strawman. He actually did save people, he saved the elect. He bore the sins of the elect and took the wrath of God in our place, he fully atoned for all of our sins. This is the particularity of the atonement. The atonement was also clearly universal. This is hard to describe really.

Picture ancient Israel; a sacrifice was made for the sin of the whole nation of Israel, a corporate sacrifice for the sins of the people. Does this mean every person within the nation had their sins forgiven? No, because not all availed themselves of this provision.

Same with the atonement of Christ. The sacrifice was made for the sin of the whole of fallen humanity, but it only effectually atones for the sins of those who repent and believe. Now here's the key. I don't believe we are responsible for our repentance and faith. Repentance and faith are saving graces given to us by God, because he has unconditionally elected us unto salvation.

Atonement was made, in a corporate sense, for all of sinful humanity. God commands all people to repent and believe, so as to avail themselves of this atonement, but given that we all love sin and hate God by our nature as sinners, none of us are willing to do this. So God in his grace and mercy elects some people to whom he gives repentance and faith by the regenerative power of the Holy Spirit.

The Atonement was in a very real sense made for the whole of humanity, as a demonstration of God's justice. Provision was made for all and all are commanded to avail themselves of it, so when they do not, they are utterly without excuse.

The elect are those whom God has chosen from eternity past to be made willing by his power, and Christ in a more particular sense actually removed their sin by his shed blood.

Understanding the Atonement both in terms of Covenants and in relation to the OT sacrifices really helps to shed light on its fundamental nature, though much will remain a mystery to us, it is after all the epitome of divine truth. Either way it is God who saves, not us.

Upvote 0

jbearnolimits

Pastor
Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you claim to have a greater understanding than others? You talk about understanding scripture and sentence stucture, but then you say that scripture decides and not interpretation.

I ask this because I have wrestled with the Arminian vs Calvinist interpretations/understandings for years. Both sides have valid and very scriptural proofs. I'm not just talking about the extremes, the Hyper-Calvinists and such, but the Low Calvinists and moderate Wesleyans who almost meet in the middle.

No I don't claim to have the greatest understanding of all. But I do believe I have some understanding.

What I actually said was that the scripture will give its own interpretation. Lets see if we can follow the way I set out about finding out what side is true here. We will do it gladiator style for fun lol.

This is not meant to be a full run down on all of the scriptures they use by the way, it is just a fun way of seeing how they can both come together. It also isn't intended to answer the question about the possible loss of salvation. I believe I already covered that.

In one corner we have a group so devoted to good works that they sometimes fear they will never be good enough for heaven! Ladies and gentlemen, give it up for the Arminians!

And in the other corner we have a group that needs no introduction! They hold firm to the belief that we are saved by grace and not of ourselves so strongly that sometimes people mistake them for the rest of the world because their members just don't care about works at all! Ladies and gentlemen, give it up for the Calvinists!

Alright, I want a nice clean fight. No hitting below the belt, no strife, no philosophies of men, and only use the word of God itself! The winner will be the one who can prove the other side doesn't have a solid scriptural foundation to stand on. In the even of a tie we will go into sudden death!

In that round you will both work together to find solid ground for both of you to stand on together. Now greet each other with love and come out reasoning of righteousness.

The Calvinist throws the first scripture down. It's a hard hit to the face!

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

The Arminians stumble a little and come back swinging with a one two combo.

Philippians 2:12
12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

James 2:24-25
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. 25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

It looks like both groups are hurting now! Who will fall first?!

They look like they are leaning heavily on each other. Both of them are spent! The next blow could be the end of this match!

It looks like the Arminians are getting ready to lay down the final blow!

Hebrews 10:26-27
26For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Ouch! It looks like the Calvinist is in a daze! They look like they are falling to their knees! WAIT! WHAT JUST HAPPENED!?

It looks like the Calvinist just took the Arminians down with them! As they went down they just swung wildly with this verse!

Romans 4:4-8
4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, 7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

It looks like both sides have valid points! They both hit hard and canceled each other out! We are going into sudden death!

Both groups are on the ground. They make their way to each other, almost too weak to lift their heads!

The Calvinist puts their hand under the arm of the Arminian. As they speak the verses they lift them to their knees.

Galatians 5:4-7
4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?

Galatians 3:1-3
O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

It looks like the Calvinist just hurt the pride of the Aminian with that, but if the Arminian wants to stand up they need this help. They can't be complaining about the help!

It looks like the Arminians are taking the Calvinist by their arms too! They are pulling them up!

James 2:17-22
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

It looks like they are both on their way up! The Arminian has had to admit that works by themselves will not get you into heaven or keep you out! They now believe that it is faith that saves alone.

And it looks like the Calvinist is thanking the Arminian for showing them that faith which doesn't produce works is not really faith at all. It is just a dead shell of a belief.

They look at each other and smile! They stand to their feet and shout loudly together, while holding each others arms up the following scriptures!

Ezekiel 18:21-22 and 24 21
21But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.22 All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live.

24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

Matthew 7:18-23
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

So now they both stand on the same firm foundation! They believe they are saved by faith through grace and not works, but that their faith is made evident by their works. So then if their works are contrary to their profession of faith, they have a dead shell of a belief and are not known by God as His.

Upvote 0