• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Trigger Warning Repressed memories starting

dabro

A child of the living God.
Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
to come out. First I went through a psychosis. Was raped by two guards at a jail. They thru me into a stretcher stuck a catheter in me and pulled it out with the balloon open. Now mind you I was on five xtc pills and I was going through a meth induced psychosis.

Now my trauma is coming out. I'm having flashbacks that are not drug induced. And I feel my nightmares are true revelations of what's happening in the world.

I was in jail with no advocate to help me cuz I couldn't speak for myself. I thought the world was ending and Christ had come back and everybody who didn't recieve the mark was chopped up in jail. I'm scared that these repressed memories are coming out. Please someone help me.

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
to come out. First I went through a psychosis. Was raped by two guards at a jail. They thru me into a stretcher stuck a catheter in me and pulled it out with the balloon open. Now mind you I was on five xtc pills and I was going through a meth induced psychosis.

Now my trauma is coming out. I'm having flashbacks that are not drug induced. And I feel my nightmares are true revelations of what's happening in the world.

I was in jail with no advocate to help me cuz I couldn't speak for myself. I thought the world was ending and Christ had come back and everybody who didn't recieve the mark was chopped up in jail. I'm scared that these repressed memories are coming out. Please someone help me.

You need to find a dr or therapist to help you; we can offer some support, but nowhere near enough.

Those memories will continue to surface, but only when your mind thinks you are strong enough to cope with them, so in a way it is a good sign; a sign of recovery. But you need a support group around you; family, friends and a therapist, to help you to deal with the aftereffects.

Do go to see your doctor.

Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

dabro

Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I have a pdoc and tdoc so I'm good there. It's just come on as a revelation that I have PTSD through my therapist who is a born again Christian. The only problem is these repressed memories where always there they just didn't have the impact on me like they do today. Like they would push there selves to the top of my mind until I started paying attention.

So all in all idk what I'm going to do. I have faced such an ordeal with nobody to help me but Christ. I'm sure in the future I will heal a little better but as of now I don't know why I am suffering like this.

Upvote 0

dabro

Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I so interested in the MDMA for PTSD I have I hard time with anxiety. And opening up with the therapist. God has been good to me. I love hHim and him alone. I think I will settle for God because He has never forsakened me. I love Yeshua and Abba Father and Holy ghost

Upvote 0

saintmartha

Jul 18, 2016
usa
✟7,677.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
thanks for being so honest. i am going in and out of "remembering." I find it hard to live normal life and then go back to facing the horror. that's why i joined the forum...to "hang" with others in similar places in between therapy appointments.

Since we are children of a living God, I am choosing to trust that He has our backs through this. thanks again.

Reactions: dabro
Upvote 0

Cush

Orthodox Presbyterian
Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
✟19,019.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Why would you believe any memory or delusion from a meth induced psychosis?

Before you think I do not understand, I battled a 15 year meth addiction. What you're describing took me nearly two years to overcome. The flashes, and delusions, and even audible hallucinations continued until after a year of drug cessation. The damage done to your brain is devastating. One symptom that you're experiencing is continuous psycho babble. What you're doing, thinking about prophecy ect while under the influence of meth is sorcery. Find your triggers, and that includes social groups or people that remind you of drugs, and get rid of them. Step away from them all, and replace them with a new social group, preferably one from church. A rational success story may include superb leadership from your church, community support, and hopefully a conviction of the Holy Spirit where he takes the kid gloves off and begins working your conscience overtime.

God bless,
William

P.S. You're in my prayers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why would you believe any memory or delusion from a meth induced psychosis?

Before you think I do not understand, I battled a 15 year meth addiction. What you're describing took me nearly two years to overcome. The flashes, and delusions, and even audible hallucinations continued until after a year. The damage done to your brain is horrible. One symptom that you're experiencing is continuous psycho babble. What you're doing, thinking about prophecy ect while under the influence of meth is sorcery. Find your triggers, and that includes social groups or people that remind me of drugs, and get rid of them. Step away from them all, and replace them with a new social group, preferably one from church. A rational success story may include superb leadership from your church, community support, and hopefully a conviction of the Holy Spirit where he takes the kid gloves off and begins working you overtime.

God bless,
William

P.S. You're in my prayers.
Just goes to show how a habit of prayer and the Scriptures daily can be a great help if the mind starts to behave in such a way.

Reactions: Cush
Upvote 0

Cush

Orthodox Presbyterian
Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
✟19,019.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Just goes to show how a habit of prayer and the Scriptures daily can be a great help if the mind starts to behave in such a way.

Amen, Scripture is a good way to keep grounded during such delusions.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

dabro

Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Because I know they raped me. I saw it happening felt it. Not a delusion. Second the psychosis was so scary I was left in jail rotting away and nobody to talk to because I thought they where all going to chop me up. Yes that's a delusion. Doesn't mean it was any less fearful then it really about to happen. I haven't smoke meth in a long time.

Before I on Prozac I was so depressed that I smoked meth after nine years of being sober. I did it for three week ends and I don't mean three weeks. I never went nuts I just started to crave it.

Before that I never touched meth since 06. And when I did smoke was 2015. So I know my mind it completely fried of the meth. I still hear voices. I can think I'm at Gods judgment. And I get obsessive thoughts that I'm about to be sent to hell.

All this does is traumatize me. Where I dream I am at the judgment. Where I have memories of actually being raped. They where always there. They just started to bother me in the last six years. 2010 is when I started to have nightmares. I was two years in psych med treatment, so either the medication is causing the nightmares. Or the memories I already knew about are coming out in my dreams cause I never properly dealt with them even if there is a way to do that.

So I know my repressed memories are delusions I simply put in the back of my head until my dreams started to make me go through it all over again. And there is nothing for dreams. Prazosin doesn't do jack. I know I have PTSD because I was never treated when I needed it. I was locked in a jail thinking it was the end times and I was about to get the mark. The rape actually happened. And a lot of other crap that I don't want to discuss because I feel that ppl think I'm bsing

Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How do you know your memories are true?

Same way.

Repressed memories is a different type of animal of the mind.

Give this book a read sometime,

Lanning, K.V. (1992, January). Investigator’s Guide to Allegations of Ritual Child Abuse. FBI Academy, Quantico, VA 22135.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dabro

Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Well Daniel, what would you call what I sent through. Simply put. Make me understand what you think repressed memories are or just all fiction and I'm just bsing everyone.

I've been to hell and back. Been the prodigal son. Torn to shreds and came back to the Father. We had a blast we I committed my life back to Him. So while I was okay for like five years. In 2010 I started to have nightmares about what I went through in fragments. It made the memories come to the surface to where I would pay attention to them.

I could no longer repress them. That's why there called repressed memories.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
@dabro - When I deal with my repressed memories, I find it helpful to look at the quality of the thoughts, what they feel like. If particular "sins" (regardless of origin) come to mind, I confess them. It helps.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)

Your inner being has a sequence, as it works out that sequence it gives voice to stuff that cannot be spoken. The sequence is painful but necessary, ask yourself what you may be trying to tell yourself.

bless.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well Daniel, what would you call what I sent through. Simply put. Make me understand what you think repressed memories are or just all fiction and I'm just bsing everyone.

I've been to hell and back. Been the prodigal son. Torn to shreds and came back to the Father. We had a blast we I committed my life back to Him. So while I was okay for like five years. In 2010 I started to have nightmares about what I went through in fragments. It made the memories come to the surface to where I would pay attention to them.

I could no longer repress them. That's why there called repressed memories.

That is one for a true professional to answer, not me. All I know is from the research is that repressed memories are configuration of past events and what one's mind makes up or plays tricks on one.

The most current research that I am aware of is: L. Patihis, L. Y. Ho, I. W. Tingen, S. O. Lilienfeld, and E. F. Loftus. "Are the 'Memory Wars" Over? A Scientist-Practitioner Gap in Beliefs About Repressed Memory." Psychological Science, Dec 13, 2013. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...s-and-practitioners-disagree-repressed-memory Read the full article it is a good summery.

Researchers and Court Systems have rejected Repressed Memory Syndrome based on the overwhelming lack of hard evidence.

If not authentic, the memories could be due to fantasy, illusion, or hallucination-mediated screen memories, internally derived as a defense mechanism. Further paraphrasing Ganaway, the SRA memories combine a mixture of borrowed ideas, characters, myths, and accounts from exogenous sources with idiosyncratic internal beliefs. Once activated, the manufactured memories are indistinguishable from factual memories. Inauthentic memories could also be externally derived as a result of unintentional implantation of suggestion by a therapist or other perceived authority figure with whom the client desires a special relationship, interest, or approval.https://faculty.washington.edu/eloftus/Articles/lof93.htm this article presents both sides.

Dr. John F. Kihlstrom, professor of psychology at the University of California in San Francisco, has suggested the following definition:

A condition in which a person’s identity and interpersonal relationships are centered around a memory of traumatic experience which is objectively false but in which the person strongly believes. Note that the syndrome is not characterized by false memories as such. We all have memories that are inaccurate. Rather, the syndrome may be diagnosed when the memory is so deeply ingrained that it orients the individual’s entire personality and lifestyle, in turn disrupting all sorts of other adaptive behavior. The analogy to personality disorder is intentional. False Memory Syndrome is especially destructive because the person assiduously avoids confrontation with any evidence that might challenge the memory. Thus it takes on a life of its own, encapsulated and resistant to correction. The person may become so focused on memory that he or she may be effectively distracted from coping with the real problems in his or her life.(Kihlstrom, 1997)http://www.fmsfonline.org/?faq=faq False Memory Syndrome Foundation

Michigan Supreme Court Declines to Rule: 3rd Party Case to Proceed

FMSF News Alert - May 11, 2016

Dear Friends,

Roberts v. Salmi. Michigan Supreme Court. SC 150919, COA: 316068
Houghton CC: 2012-01-015075 -NH

On May 6, 2016, after considering briefs and hearing oral arguments, the Michigan Supreme Court vacated their order to allow an appeal of the December 18, 2014 Court of Appeals decision. The Michigan Supreme Court statement said only "we are no longer persuaded that the questions presented should be reviewed by this Court."

This means that the 3rd party suit brought by Lale and Joan Roberts against their daughter’s therapist Kathryn Salmi may proceed.

The Roberts filed a lawsuit in Houghton County, Michigan, claiming that Kathryn Salmi’s counseling techniques caused the allegations of sexual abuse by her father. After an investigation, no charges were ever filed against the father.

The issue is whether mental health professionals have a duty of care to third parties if memory recovery techniques are used. In 2014, the Appeals Court said "yes."

Zachary Kemp, the attorney representing the Lale and Joan Roberts, stated that the parents had looked in the background of Salmi and, "they had to put their trust in (Salmi) in hopes that she would do her job, not harm [their] child, and certainly not implant false memories of abuse that never happened."

Beth Wittmann, attorney for Kathryn Salmi stated: "In the context of allegations of physical or sexual abuse perpetrated on a minor, the loyalty of the therapist lies only with the patient and not third parties, particularly third parties who are the alleged perpetrators of the abuse."

We have written about the details of this case previously. They may be found at:
FMSF 2014 News Updates - Michigan Court of Appeals Revives Lawsuit Against Therapist

See: Associated Press. (2016, MY 7). Court: Key ruling in U.P. false memories case will stand. Detroit Free Press. Retrieved on May 8, 2016 from Court: Key ruling in U.P. false memories case will stand

J. Bean and Pamhttp://www.fmsfonline.org/index.php?newsupdate=newsupdates

The case eventually made its way to the U.S. Second Circuit Court, which affirmed dismissal of the case.[12] The court observed that "the literature has not yet conclusively demonstrated that hypnosis is a consistently effective means to retrieve repressed memories of traumatic, past experiences accurately." The court added that the plaintiff’s "far-fetched, uncorroborated" claims against other parties, including allegations that she was raped and sexually abused at the age of 3 by men she believed to be Masons and drugged and forced to drink blood at a ritual involving a dead pig, "erodes our confidence in the allegations." [13] The panel also noted her hypnotist’s lack of qualifications and his failure to keep records of his procedures and said that without such records a court cannot determine if the therapist was inadvertently suggestive or used suspect techniques in conducting the hypnosis. The court proposed that trial courts should consider the following (nonexclusive) factors at a pretrial evidentiary hearing before deciding whether to admit posthypnotic testimony: the aim or subject of the hypnosis session, possible suggestions from the hypnotist, whether a permanent record of the hypnosis session is available, and the existence of corroborating evidence. The burden of persuading the trial court that the balance tips in favor of admissibility should be on the party that seeks to admit the testimony, the appeals court added. http://www.fmsfonline.org/?ginterest=RecoveredMemoriesInTheCourts

From Refusal to Reconciliation - Family Relationships After an Accusation Based on Recovered Memories, by Paul R. McHugh, MD, Harold I. Lief, MD, Pamela P. Freyd, PhD., and Janet M. Fetkewicz, MA. Published in The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, August 2004.

The Science of False Memory

C. J. Brainerd, V. F. Reyna
Oxford University Press, May 5, 2005 - Psychology - 578 pages
1 Review
Findings from research on false memory have major implications for a number of fields central to human welfare, such as medicine and law. Although many important conclusions have been reached after a decade or so of intensive research, the majority of them are not well known outside the immediate field. To make this research accessible to a much wider audience, The Science of False Memory has been written to require little or no background knowledge of the theory and techniques used in memory research. Brainerd and Reyna introduce the volume by considering the progenitors to the modern science of false memory, and noting the remarkable degree to which core themes of contemporary research were anticipated by historical figure such as Binet, Piaget, and Bartlett. They continue with an account of the varied methods that have been used to study false memory both inside and outside of the laboratory. The first part of the volume focuses on the basic science of false memory, revolving around three topics: old and new theoretical ideas that have been used to explain false memory and make predictions about it; research findings and predictions about false memory in normal adults; and research findings and predictions about age-related changes in false memory between early childhood and adulthood. Throughout Part I, Brainerd and Reyna emphasize how current opponent-processes conceptions of false memory act as a unifying influence by integrating predictions and data across disparate forms of false memory. The second part focuses on the applied science of false memory, revolving around four topics: the falsifiability of witnesses and suspects memories of crimes, including false confessions by suspects; the falsifiability of eyewitness identifications of suspects; false-memory reports in investigative interviews of child victims and witnesses, particularly in connection with sexual-abuse crimes; false memory in psychotherapy, including recovered memories of childhood abuse, multiple-personality disorders, and recovered memories of previous lives. Although Part II is concerned with applied research, Brainerd and Reyna continue to emphasize the unifying influence of opponent-processes conceptions of false memory. The third part focuses on emerging trends, revolving around three expanding areas of false-memory research: mathematical models, aging effects, and cognitive neuroscience. False Memory will be an invaluable resource for professional researchers, practitioners, and students in the many fields for which false-memory research has implications, including child-protective services, clinical psychology, law, criminal justice, elementary and secondary education, general medicine, journalism, and psychiatry.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The science of perception and memory : a pragmatic guide for the justice system / Daniel Reisberg.
Reisberg, Daniel,

Beyond common sense : psychological science in the courtroom / edited by Eugene Borgida and Susan T.

The science of false memory / C.J. Brainerd and V.F. Reyna.
Brainerd, Charles J.

False memory / Dan Krokos.

Memory, Abuse, and Science:
Questioning Claims about the False Memory Syndrome Epidemic

Kenneth S. Pope

NOTE: This article is the award address for the American Psychological Association's Award for Distinguished Contributions to Public Service. It was published in American Psychologist, vol. 51, no. 9, pages 957-974. The American Psychological Association owns the copyright.

ABSTRACT: Careful assessment of purported scientific discoveries and the resulting interpretations is a responsibility of every scientist. The area of memory, particularly memory for abuse, has recently seen new, highly publicized claims. These include the proposal of a new diagnostic category, the false memory syndrome; claims about the ease with which extensive autobiographical memories can be implanted; and estimates of the extent therapists use risky practices likely to cause false memory syndrome. This article suggests questions to evaluate these claims and the methods used to promote them. Implications for clinical standards and malpractice are discussed.

http://kspope.com/memory/memory.php

Families are still living the nightmare of false memories of sexual abuse
Chris French
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/apr/07/sexual-abuse-false-memory-syndrome

False Memory Syndrome Alive and Well
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/false-memory-syndrome-alive-and-well/

Recovered Memory Syndrome
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/look-it-way/201001/recovered-memory-syndrome

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/books.htm

Confabulations: Creating False Memories, Destroying Families
by Eleanor C. Goldstein Kevin Farmer (Editor, Photographer)

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/222679958_Explaining_the_development_of_false_memories

The Cognitive Neuroscience of True and False Memories http://memlab.yale.edu/sites/default/files/files/2011_Johnson-etal_NebraskaChapter.pdf

In recent years, there has been an explosion of research on false memories: the subjective experience of remembering something if that something did apparently not happen in reality. We review a range of findings concerning this phenomenon: False memories of details and of whole events by adults and children, as well as false memories of words in laboratory experiments (in the DRM paradigm). We also briefly discuss the converse phenomenon: Evidence of forgetting or repression of significant events, and evidence of recovered memories. Knowledge of both phenomena is needed for judging whether “new” memories are false, recovered, or whether both options are possible. More general as well as specific theories explaining false memories are discussed, and we close with implications for practice. Key words: False memory, DRM paradigm, source monitoring, fuzzy trace theory, repression
https://www.uni-trier.de/fileadmin/fb1/prof/PSY/AKP/Mecklenbraeuker/ArtikelNr55.pdf

Report by FBI Special Agent Kenneth Lanning entitled "Child Sex Rings: A Behavioral Analysis for Criminal Justice Professionals Handling Cases of Child Sexual Exploitation."
http://www.religioustolerance.org/ra_rep03.htm

Memory Puzzle: What Every Investigator Should Know

By Brian D. Fitch, Ph.D.
https://leb.fbi.gov/2015/january/memory-puzzle-what-every-investigator-should-know

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanic_ritual_abuse

Upvote 0

dabro

Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Well what I went through was not false. I couldn't of been in jail for two months. While roommates where trying to get me out.

I couldn't of taken xtc and overdosed and got shot in both for arms with a needle like gun that had probably Ativan in it. I remember a catheter stuck in me and pulled out with the balloon open. I also cannot have roommates say they witness the whole seven months I was psychotic. So either I'm in another dimension or death. Or what I thought repressed memories where where actually just a traumatic event that happened and the memories where always fried into my head.

I was just hard headed and didn't properly deal with them because after the seven months my ex broke up with me which was another event or stab at my heart. So I turned back to drugs until I stopped taking Abilify when I was coming out of the psychosis. Almost a year to the day I got psychotic I started to get psychotic again. So I quit all the drugs. And the psychosis subsided. I gave my life to Jesus. We had a blast. I wanted to dream during those days. But now my dreams are full of what I went through in 05 and I can't seem to get them to just be normal. Like I have PTSD. But maybe a nightmare disorder. Idk.

This is all up to a professional. But if none of this stuff happened I don't know how there is so many ppl in agreement that it did.

Upvote 0