tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If we all stopped eating meat (that we didn't raise and kill ourselves), these places wouldn't exist.

Easiest, cheapest, and healthiest of all is to be vegetarian. You'll miss bacon, though :)

You will miss all of the bacon, and nearly indestructible parasites associated with it.

I try to eat vegeterian, and use gmo-compass to see when a plant/seed/veggie has been approved for gmo human consumption, and which ones haven't (or, are still in research.)

Living on the West Coast during Fukishima got me out of certain eating and drinking (wine post 2011) habits.

Upvote 0

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If you sell certain GMO/Frankenfood products and brand yourself as that namesake, you have to label them as such by FDA ruling, unless you find a loophole. For example, Kentucky Fried Chicken and Popeye's Chicken may change their name to KFC/Popeye's (dropping the "chicken") to get away with selling certain Frankenfood.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fair point, but i think there's a clear difference between "low wages" (i.e. 10 cents a day) and "low wages for long hours in unsafe conditions".
We can ask for a shorter work week.......

giphy.gif

Upvote 0

Four Angels Standing

2Peter 1:21 Cry Out For Wisdom Grace Heals
Apr 18, 2016
Dallas
✟11,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Snopes simply gives Perdue and Tyson reps. opportunity to respond. So it has been ruled neither hoax or false.
Anyone who clicks the link will read that it is an extensive report that includes mention of OXFAM.

The lawsuits that are going to follow this will be awesome. What unconscienable companies that would make these type rulings for their employees if true.

No bathroom breaks. That's illegal.
Wear a diaper instead. That's illegal. It's also obscene considering one would have to take a bathroom break in order to change their diaper for health reasons.

Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Fair point, but i think there's a clear difference between "low wages" (i.e. 10 cents a day) and "low wages for long hours in unsafe conditions".
Unfortunately they tend to go hand in hand. There seems to be a correlation between low wages, long hours, and poor conditions. As another poster put it you basically would have to live in a cave not to support it.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Unfortunately they tend to go hand in hand. There seems to be a correlation between low wages, long hours, and poor conditions. As another poster put it you basically would have to live in a cave not to support it.

That was me:

Yes, i do own electronics, and thereby, in some way shape or form "support the economics of sweatshop labor". Even without owning electronics, most large companies employ sweatshop labor, so even if i somehow said no to the above, you're part of the system unless you live in a cave.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This OXFAM group could face a serious lawsuit if its proven they fabricated this. This is why I think there could be some validity to what they say. I would bet that a lot of the workers at these plants aren't in this country legally and they would fear rocking the boat and possibly losing their jobs.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If we all stopped eating meat (that we didn't raise and kill ourselves), these places wouldn't exist.

Easiest, cheapest, and healthiest of all is to be vegetarian. You'll miss bacon, though :)
I'm not vegan yet, but I'm off the swine.
It ain't that bad once you're past the shaking and the cold sweats.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
For example, Kentucky Fried Chicken and Popeye's Chicken may change their name to KFC/Popeye's (dropping the "chicken") to get away with selling certain Frankenfood.

I see this, rather old, lie has mutated to include chains other than KFC. Please check snopes before repeating such nonsense. There are many real problems with the standard American diet and animal agriculture, no need to make up false ones.

Upvote 0

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Snopes simply gives Perdue and Tyson reps. opportunity to respond. So it has been ruled neither hoax or false.

Let wait for teh dust to settle on that...
... but with toilet breaks there's always the question about workers bringing things back to the production line that don't belong on chicken. Though I can't see strictly supervised toilet breaks being massively popular either.

Upvote 0

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I see this, rather old, lie has mutated to include chains other than KFC. Please check snopes before repeating such nonsense. There are many real problems with the standard American diet and animal agriculture, no need to make up false ones.

Snopes? Lol...

Why not Sorcha Faal?

Why not any other source that was paid enough money to vindicated the KFC name? The problem with American agriculture and diet is the people, not the companies. They are capitalistic; if the people choose to be rear ended, don't care about what goes in their bodies, and call all bad and scary news (no matter how truthful) conspiracy, then why should a for profit company care?

You (should) know that fast food chicken is vertically farmed, and the conditions are abysmal at best for the meat that will be put into millions of Americans' mouths. They feed on feces, GMO corn and feed, and each other.

KFC has spent a lot of money trying to dispel international rumors of negligence in their product.

You think it is a lie and that is fine. I get it; chains are benevolent, and if they weren't, your benevolent government agencies like the FDA would surely regulate, discipline and expose their practices. The fact that it is "resurfacing" should catch your eye; I honestly didn't know this "rumor" was old. I just know on the basis of commercial business practices, and regulatory orders what some businesses do to maintain. It is common business sense; your favorite products do it all the time. And, they pay plenty of money to dispel "rumors."

But, believe what you want, and continue to eat the 11 herbs and spices and New Orleans diseased meat. (I won't even get into the deeper issues hidden in plain sight...)

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Food lobby groups lobby the FDA endlessly to redefine what free range and cafe free means, among other redfinitions for "healthy" for people or the animals they kill.

I would agree with that statement.

I'm a meat eater...I know what goes on in those environments (while I do think it's unfortunate, I'm not going to stop eating meat)...I was just simply stating that going "free range" isn't what people think it means. People seem to have this vision that "cage free" means that the animals frolick in the summer sun for a few years, and then are given a swift and humane death at the end...while in reality, that term just indicates that they're given an hour or two to walk around in a fenced in area (still tightly cramped/filthy) before they're shoved back in the chicken coup for the other 22 hours of the day.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to hunt for all of my own meat, however I don't care for deer meat, there are no bison in the area where I live, and to the best of my knowledge, there's no such thing as "cow season" lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I would agree with that statement.

I'm a meat eater...I know what goes on in those environments (while I do think it's unfortunate, I'm not going to stop eating meat)...I was just simply stating that going "free range" isn't what people think it means. People seem to have this vision that "cage free" means that the animals frolick in the summer sun for a few years, and then are given a swift and humane death at the end...while in reality, that term just indicates that they're given an hour or two to walk around in a fenced in area (still tightly cramped/filthy) before they're shoved back in the chicken coup for the other 22 hours of the day.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to hunt for all of my own meat, however I don't care for deer meat, there are no bison in the area where I live, and to the best of my knowledge, there's no such thing as "cow season" lol.
I agree with this, that's why I only buy my meat from one establishment where free-range actually is free-range (such actions mean you eat a lot less meat). But free-range and cage-free are the same way that organic and whole grain have been abused by the food industry. They bribe Congress and agencies to redefine food so that they have to change little of their practices. As I've told people, you can theoretically make organic Oreos, they're still not healthier for you.

Upvote 0