Report: Poultry Workers Forced to Wear Diapers to Increase Efficiency

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Report: Poultry Workers Forced to Wear Diapers to Increase Efficiency
For today's dose of horrifying news, the poultry industry comes up big: According to a new report by Oxfam America workers at some poultry plants across the country face abysmal working conditions where they are denied bathroom breaks and often soil themselves while working so as not to lose their jobs.

Debbie Berkowitz, who is recognized in the acknowledgments of Oxfam's report, detailed some of the reports findings in an article in Quartz. Among what she has observed in poultry plants: "Poultry workers stand shoulder to shoulder on both sides of long conveyor belts, most using scissors or knives, in cold, damp, loud conditions."
I refuse to by factory farm meat, this is more of a reason to continue that course of action.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,129.00
Faith
Atheist
But these jobs are a boon to these workers. We're benefiting those areas and people by providing them any jobs at all! They accepted the positions, so therefore whatever horrible conditions they contend with and whatever pitifully small amount of wages they receive is fair. /conservative argument.

Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

HannahT

Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟458,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But these jobs are a boon to these workers. We're benefiting those areas and people by providing them any jobs at all! They accepted the positions, so therefore whatever horrible conditions they contend with and whatever pitifully small amount of wages they receive is fair. /conservative argument.

- or liberal's interruption of conservative argument! lol

On a separate note: You have to wonder why these people aren't getting the federally mandated breaks. Last time I worked an hourly job you had two 10-minute breaks, and one 20-minute break - for an eight hour shift. They normally asked you to take care of business then, but there are times in which you can't always do that.

I hope they figure this out. Outrageous!

Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
And while every word you say is true, or they would have no workers, doing business with a company like that is shameful. I buy everything at Wal-Mart so I know the people that made it as well as the people that sell it are happy, well compensated individuals.

Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

On a separate note: You have to wonder why these people aren't getting the federally mandated breaks. Last time I worked an hourly job you had two 10-minute breaks, and one 20-minute break - for an eight hour shift. They normally asked you to take care of business then, but there are times in which you can't always do that.

I have actually never had a job that restricted using the bathroom in any way, except the Army which is more of a nightmare than a job.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,129.00
Faith
Atheist

No, they were arguments conservatives on these boards have made to me in threads where i condemned the practices of sweatshops.

Perhaps you can tell me all about these entirely voluntary sweatshops where the happy workers joyfully skip off to the factory every morning. Oh, wait, that's NOT a sweatshop, that's voluntary employment.

Employment isn't a "sweatshop" unless it's INVOLUNTARY. You can't just arbitrarily call voluntary employment "sweatshop" because YOU personally wouldn't like the job.

"Voluntary employment" and "sweatshop" are mutually exclusive terms.

Your argument kind of falls apart if sweatshop employment is voluntary, doesn't it? How can it be that workers are forced into sweatshop conditions unfairly if they do it on an entirely voluntary basis?

Or this exchange:

Paying pennies instead of a fair wage, employing sweatshop conditions instead of a safe workplace, all display an attitude that the pursuit of more money matters more than anything else.
I don't like jobs shipping over seas either, but the pennies they are getting paid is a lot of money in their economy.

I can keep digging, and find a whole bunch of other examples of self-proclaimed conservatives arguing that sweatshops are good because they are jobs that people take "willingly" (as in, they are willing to work long hours in unsafe conditions rather than starve).

-

From the linked report:

"Pedro and his mother worked at a Tyson plant in North Carolina for four years—until the day in 2014 when they were abruptly dismissed.17 They were called to the office and told, “You’ve done a good job, it’s just that we’re cutting personnel.”18 Pedro—who took pride in doing his job well and knows that the plant is always looking for more workers—believes they were dismissed because they had learned about their rights, and were taking action to educate others.

https://www.oxfamamerica.org/static/media/files/Lives_on_the_Line_Full_Report_Final.pdf

I can't speak to the accuracy of the report, but knowing one's rights while simultaneously being poor doesn't guarantee that those rights are protected.
"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,643.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
No, they were arguments conservatives on these boards have made to me in threads where i condemned the practices of sweatshops.

Or this exchange:

I can keep digging, and find a whole bunch of other examples of self-proclaimed conservatives arguing that sweatshops are good because they are jobs that people take "willingly" (as in, they are willing to work long hours in unsafe conditions rather than starve).

From the linked report:

"Pedro and his mother worked at a Tyson plant in North Carolina for four years—until the day in 2014 when they were abruptly dismissed.17 They were called to the office and told, “You’ve done a good job, it’s just that we’re cutting personnel.”18 Pedro—who took pride in doing his job well and knows that the plant is always looking for more workers—believes they were dismissed because they had learned about their rights, and were taking action to educate others.

https://www.oxfamamerica.org/static/media/files/Lives_on_the_Line_Full_Report_Final.pdf

I can't speak to the accuracy of the report, but knowing one's rights while simultaneously being poor doesn't guarantee that those rights are protected.
"

Not to mention MachZer0's arguments.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟458,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Okay. I'm sure you are correct. Yet, you represented the 'whole' of conservatives, and not just those on this board.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟458,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have actually never had a job that restricted using the bathroom in any way, except the Army which is more of a nightmare than a job.

I worked in a French Bakery that was a factory for their storefronts. We had production lines, and they were the ones that asked us to do that on our breaks. Like I said, sometimes you can't always do that. At that time you had to shut down the entire line to wait for the person. It didn't happen often, but it did on occasion.

As I mentioned this article sounds like it went way beyond that realm.

Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I worked in a French Bakery that was a factory for their storefronts. We had production lines, and they were the ones that asked us to do that on our breaks. Like I said, sometimes you can't always do that. At that time you had to shut down the entire line to wait for the person. It didn't happen often, but it did on occasion.

As I mentioned this article sounds like it went way beyond that realm.
Yeah when you gotta poop you gotta poop, mother nature don't have call waiting.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Unless you hunt for your own meat or raise your own animals for food...finding "ethical meats" is rather difficult to do.

Even the terms "free range", "cage free", and "grass fed" doesn't necessarily mean that you're avoiding the types of things that go on in a factory farm setting.
Non factory farm is different from "ethical meats". There are NUMEROUS farms around my city (or within a couple hours) where you can get meat that has come no where near a factory farm (assuming my understanding of what "factory farming" looks like. That said, you can go right out to the farms and buy the meat right from them.

It really isn't that difficult but it does require, you know, a bit of effort.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Non factory farm is different from "ethical meats". There are NUMEROUS farms around my city (or within a couple hours) where you can get meat that has come no where near a factory farm (assuming my understanding of what "factory farming" looks like. That said, you can go right out to the farms and buy the meat right from them.

It really isn't that difficult but it does require, you know, a bit of effort.
We have a company called North Star Neighbors that delivers chemical free meat. Good stuff.

Upvote 0