Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a strange question or issue. I just joined this site last week, and enjoy reading all of the posts. My problem is this: I read posts I think I might be able to respond to, but I am afraid what I might write will do more harm than good. I've made a few blunders ALREADY, and regret writing some things. There are people on this site who have some of the same struggles I have, yet I am afraid to write anything in response in case it is the wrong thing. I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease. My question is this, if I read something where a person has similar struggles as myself, should I post (I have a desire to say something encouraging) or should I not, seeing as I might not frame the words correctly? To post or not to post, that is the question.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a strange question or issue. I just joined this site last week, and enjoy reading all of the posts. My problem is this: I read posts I think I might be able to respond to, but I am afraid what I might write will do more harm than good. I've made a few blunders ALREADY, and regret writing some things. There are people on this site who have some of the same struggles I have, yet I am afraid to write anything in response in case it is the wrong thing. I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease. My question is this, if I read something where a person has similar struggles as myself, should I post (I have a desire to say something encouraging) or should I not, seeing as I might not frame the words correctly? To post or not to post, that is the question.
Well as much as you are concerned about not stepping on anyone toes, I would say you should just dive right in. You will probably do better at not offending anyone than some of the rest of us do.
If you need to just apologize for the misunderstanding and restate your thoughts. You will do fine.

Nice avatar pic.

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the encouragement. I read things sometimes, and I feel like I could respond, but I am not sure if that is me being presumptuous or actually God's Spirit prompting me to write.

Thanks, it is a John Waterhouse painting depicting Miranda from William Shakespeare's The Tempest. I did have a painting of Pygmalion and Galatea, which would make more sense considering my user name. The painting was a nude and had to be removed, one instance of my missteps, I am afraid.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for the encouragement. I read things sometimes, and I feel like I could respond, but I am not sure if that is me being presumptuous or actually God's Spirit prompting me to write.

Thanks, it is a John Waterhouse painting depicting Miranda from William Shakespeare's The Tempest. I did have a painting of Pygmalion and Galatea, which would make more sense considering my user name. The painting was a nude and had to be removed, one instance of my missteps, I am afraid.
One of my daughters has the same painting hanging in her living room.

Upvote 0

Daryl Gleason

A man of God
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2016
Cali, Colombia
✟28,436.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Welcome, and grace and peace to you from our lord Jesus Christ.

I'm new as well, and one thing that helps me greatly when responding to posts is praying for wisdom first (see James 1:5). It's something I've been doing constantly over the years whenever helping anyone, and God has been faithful to his promise every single time.

I can't promise never to offend or upset anyone with what I say; the truth itself is offensive to some, so it's inevitable that it will happen sooner or later, in addition to my own flaws and mistakes. But if I do need to address a wound or ask for forgiveness, asking for wisdom first helps there, too, that I might do so in a way that honors Jesus.

Hope this helps!

In Christ,
Daryl

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
As long as its encouraging its fine, as that is what we as christians are meant to do.

If youve been through a similar experience thats personal you can always pm the person so that not everyone else has to read it.

Also prayerfully consider what to post, in this section its biblical advice and people always appreciate scripture because folks that post here are looking for answers from the Bible and they are christians so not necessarily your opinions. But just put IMHO so people know if its just your opinion.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Welcome, and grace and peace to you from our lord Jesus Christ.

I'm new as well, and one thing that helps me greatly when responding to posts is praying for wisdom first (see James 1:5). It's something I've been doing constantly over the years whenever helping anyone, and God has been faithful to his promise every single time.

I can't promise never to offend or upset anyone with what I say; the truth itself is offensive to some, so it's inevitable that it will happen sooner or later, in addition to my own flaws and mistakes. But if I do need to address a wound or ask for forgiveness, asking for wisdom first helps there, too, that I might do so in a way that honors Jesus.

Hope this helps!

In Christ,
Daryl
I definitely need to pray before saying or writing anything. I have a tendency to say what I like and excuse it by saying I am intense and passionate, but that is no good. Thanks for the reply, I wasn't really meaning offending people, I meant actually doing harm rather than good with my words.

Reactions: Daryl Gleason
Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As long as its encouraging its fine, as that is what we as christians are meant to do.

If youve been through a similar experience thats personal you can always pm the person so that not everyone else has to read it.

Also prayerfully consider what to post, in this section its biblical advice and people always appreciate scripture because folks that post here are looking for answers from the Bible and they are christians so not necessarily your opinions. But just put IMHO so people know if its just your opinion.
You're right, sometimes, I just write my opinion without consulting the Bible first to see what God says about an issue. I want to tell you, I think you are a very kind and sincere Christian. Your light shines. Every post I have read of yours has been lovely and genuine. There are people, even here, who are not real Christians. I can tell you are a lovely Christian lady, like I used to be myself, and hopefully I will yield myself to the Spirit and become a lovely lady again. May God bless you.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You're right, sometimes, I just write my opinion without consulting the Bible first to see what God says about an issue. I want to tell you, I think you are a very kind and sincere Christian. Your light shines. Every post I have read of yours has been lovely and genuine. There are people, even here, who are not real Christians. I can tell you are a lovely Christian lady, like I used to be myself, and hopefully I will yield myself to the Spirit and become a lovely lady again. May God bless you.
A daily, prayerful Bible reading habit is so valuable for one's thinking to become more and more Bible based, by God's grace. John's Gospel and Philippians are wonderful books of the Bible to get to know well.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yesterday I wrote a paper about rightly dividing God's Word. I was soooooooo pleased with it, I saved it on the computer for future use. I went to bed smiling, thinking about it.

This morning I found myself wondering about the accuracy of what I had written. Egads!! Me??

I'm going to pray about it before I even pull it up to read it again. It happens.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not all advice is sweet or encouraging... and correction is seldom received well.
Similarly to like when Jesus addressed the pharisees, example:

From chapter 15 of Matthew:
Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, 2 “Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don’t wash their hands before they eat!”
3 Jesus replied, “And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’ and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’ 5 But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is ‘devoted to God,’ 6 they are not to ‘honor their father or mother’ with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. 7 You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:
8 “‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
9 They worship me in vain;
their teachings are merely human rules.’”
10 Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand. 11 What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”
12 Then the disciples came to him and asked, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this?”

Upvote 0

Stillicidia

Revanche Flower
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2016
Mystic Meadows
✟11,021.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Constitution

A simple, and encouraging mind is always welcome.

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A daily, prayerful Bible reading habit is so valuable for one's thinking to become more and more Bible based, by God's grace. John's Gospel and Philippians are wonderful books of the Bible to get to know well.
Yes, I need to get back into the habit of reading my Bible daily. I have neglected it.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yesterday I wrote a paper about rightly dividing God's Word. I was soooooooo pleased with it, I saved it on the computer for future use. I went to bed smiling, thinking about it.

This morning I found myself wondering about the accuracy of what I had written. Egads!! Me??

I'm going to pray about it before I even pull it up to read it again. It happens.
I'm less worried about being accurate and more worried about saying something harmful. But I need to remember to pray before I speak, or write as the case may be.

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not all advice is sweet or encouraging... and correction is seldom received well.
Similarly to like when Jesus addressed the pharisees, example:

From chapter 15 of Matthew:
Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, 2 “Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don’t wash their hands before they eat!”
3 Jesus replied, “And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’ and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’ 5 But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is ‘devoted to God,’ 6 they are not to ‘honor their father or mother’ with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. 7 You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:
8 “‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
9 They worship me in vain;
their teachings are merely human rules.’”
10 Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand. 11 What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”
12 Then the disciples came to him and asked, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this?”
I don't think I am in any place to correct anyone. I'm in need of some correction myself! I'm thinking more along the lines of trying to encourage someone, but actually saying something that is hurtful instead. So, sometimes I see posts that I think I can respond to because I have had similar struggles, but am unsure whether to post or not because I sometimes put my foot in my mouth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A simple, and encouraging mind is always welcome.
I think maybe I am overthinking it, and just pray before I say anything to make sure it is something that is encouraging that comes from me and not something that is hurtful.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Many new christians actually need encouragement. This is a gift.
It is not flattery or people pleasing.
Some christians need rebuke or exhortation or warning if going astray. But we are to speak the truth in love.

In the bible its never said that christians have to actually correct anyone. This is what the holy spirit can do, and thats the work on the inside..a change of heart.
If someone asks for it, like they not sure and says correct me if Im wrong...then sure. But its really rude and discourteous to act like a person is stupid and you are the one that always knows better than them. Actually its patronizing and can even be bullying.

If we read all are encouraged to read our bibles we can learn and as we walk a straight path.

Sometimes people dont listen, well if they not you can pray for them. You can ask God for wisdom in what to say...and discernement when to say and who to say it to.

We dont always get it right but if we mess up just apologize and ask for forgiveness.

The pharisees were like the religious leaders of Jesus day but you dont have to get into debates like they did. If an athiest just wants to bait a christian you dont have to fall for it and correct his unbelief. I would just avoid those threads if someones made up their mind not to believe anyway and wants to keep everyone arguing. We cant truly fellowship with those who dont accept Jesus although we can pray for their eyes and ears open to understanding.

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many new christians actually need encouragement. This is a gift.
It is not flattery or people pleasing.
Some christians need rebuke or exhortation or warning if going astray. But we are to speak the truth in love.

In the bible its never said that christians have to actually correct anyone. This is what the holy spirit can do, and thats the work on the inside..a change of heart.
If someone asks for it, like they not sure and says correct me if Im wrong...then sure. But its really rude and discourteous to act like a person is stupid and you are the one that always knows better than them. Actually its patronizing and can even be bullying.

If we read all are encouraged to read our bibles we can learn and as we walk a straight path.

Sometimes people dont listen, well if they not you can pray for them. You can ask God for wisdom in what to say...and discernement when to say and who to say it to.

We dont always get it right but if we mess up just apologize and ask for forgiveness.

The pharisees were like the religious leaders of Jesus day but you dont have to get into debates like they did. If an athiest just wants to bait a christian you dont have to fall for it and correct his unbelief. I would just avoid those threads if someones made up their mind not to believe anyway and wants to keep everyone arguing. We cant truly fellowship with those who dont accept Jesus although we can pray for their eyes and ears open to understanding.
I think if I were closer to God, I would not be having this question because I would know I was speaking by His Spirit and not by my own foolish and flawed reasoning. Thanks for your words of wisdom. I know I need to get into my Bible and pray more. I want my words to be like Proverbs 25:11 " A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver." People have given me some apples of gold in pictures of silver on this site, I want to give some too and not always be taking.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0