Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not at all...like anything there may be one or two that have a slightly elitist outlook, but generally they are no different from other Believers just that they have a much more Jewish feel to things.

I have had Orthodox Christians tell me that when a Jewish person comes to know Jesus as Saviour and joins the Orthodox community they are more familiar with their form of worship than with other Christian groups as they still retain a more authentic Jewish flavour.

You could say that it is more likely that your comment applies to perhaps the Catholics, who view non-Catholics as outside the true fold, and although we are now generally accepted as Believers, we are on the lower scale of belief and will only just make it to eternity by the grace of G-d and the skin of our teeth.

You must also realise that when talking of Messianics, many like myself are Gentiles who enjoy the Jewishness...but it is also true that some so-called Messianic fellowships are full of Gentiles trying to be Jews...something I do not like at all, but to some extent I put it down to birth-pangs within a relatively new Movement, and hopefully those people will wake up to thmselves eventually.

One other thing to note is that for some Jewish Believers in Yeshua, they choose to be called Messianics rather than Christians for two reasons.

Firstly if a Jew calls himself Christian, it is as if he is no longer a Jew, and will be regarded by other Jews as a proselyte and no longer accepted in th Jewish community...in extreme cases they will hold a funeral service and mourn that persons passing (from Judaism to Christianity).

Secondly the connotations associated with Christianity are not good ones for Jewish people, and therefore they have preferred an alternative name tht essentilly means the same things...hence Messianic.

Trouble is they are still persecuted in the Israel that I love, especially by the Orthodox Jews who view them as vermin at times, and generally other Jewish people tend to see them as Christians pretending to be Jews...it is an on-going battle, because many Christians are also suspicious and have no real clue what they are about (hence some of the comments in threads like this) and treat them as if the are Jews trying to pass themselves off as Christians...they are in a lose lose situation.
Well you're helping clear up the lack of knowledge. Thank you for the info. I take it you are not "non-Pauline".

Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

Not at all...like anything there may be one or two that have a slightly elitist outlook, but generally they are no different from other Believers just that they have a much more Jewish feel to things.

I have had Orthodox Christians tell me that when a Jewish person comes to know Jesus as Saviour and joins the Orthodox community they are more familiar with their form of worship than with other Christian groups as they still retain a more authentic Jewish flavour.

You could say that it is more likely that your comment applies to perhaps the Catholics, who view non-Catholics as outside the true fold, and although we are now generally accepted as Believers, we are on the lower scale of belief and will only just make it to eternity by the grace of G-d and the skin of our teeth.

You must also realise that when talking of Messianics, many like myself are Gentiles who enjoy the Jewishness...but it is also true that some so-called Messianic fellowships are full of Gentiles trying to be Jews...something I do not like at all, but to some extent I put it down to birth-pangs within a relatively new Movement, and hopefully those people will wake up to thmselves eventually.

One other thing to note is that for some Jewish Believers in Yeshua, they choose to be called Messianics rather than Christians for two reasons.

Firstly if a Jew calls himself Christian, it is as if he is no longer a Jew, and will be regarded by other Jews as a proselyte and no longer accepted in th Jewish community...in extreme cases they will hold a funeral service and mourn that persons passing (from Judaism to Christianity).

Secondly the connotations associated with Christianity are not good ones for Jewish people, and therefore they have preferred an alternative name tht essentilly means the same things...hence Messianic.

Trouble is they are still persecuted in the Israel that I love, especially by the Orthodox Jews who view them as vermin at times, and generally other Jewish people tend to see them as Christians pretending to be Jews...it is an on-going battle, because many Christians are also suspicious and have no real clue what they are about (hence some of the comments in threads like this) and treat them as if the are Jews trying to pass themselves off as Christians...they are in a lose lose situation.
I don't want to be labeled a Christian because my Jewish friends will no longer accept me in the Jewish community. Is that what you meant?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by Zeek
I don't want to be labeled a Christian because my Jewish friends will no longer accept me in the Jewish community. Is that what you meant?
:)

The is like saying I do not want to be labeled a Protestant because I will no long be accepted by my RC friends and/or family....

1Pe 4:16
and if as a Christian [Protestant], let him not be ashamed;
and let him glorify God in this respect;

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The odd thing about Jews is that when their fellow Jews become secular, like a good swath of them are, there does not seem to be any funerals held for the Jew on account of his atheism.

But to become a Christian, that is a fate worse than death, or at least requiring a funeral dirge?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The odd thing about Jews is that when their fellow Jews become secular, like a good swath of them are, there does not seem to be any funerals held for the Jew on account of his atheism.

But to become a Christian, that is a fate worse than death, or at least requiring a funeral dirge?
First I have heard of that......

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I believe it's more biblical . the symbolism is pretty in your face . there are 12 apostles . (for 12 tribes) . one of the 12 seats even had two holders i.e. jacobs parcel. there's a moses (Jesus the fulfillment) . church history appears to follow the pattern as well . it just sounds biblical and easy to observe unless you want it to be about israel .

Upvote 0

Zeek

Follower of Messiah, Israel advocate and Zionist
Nov 8, 2010
England
✟11,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First I have heard of that......

You need to get out more. ;)

Apologies to not having answered some of the questions directed at me months ago...that was simply because of some more enforced vacationing and not because I was shying away from responding.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
While Replacement Theology is wrong, it's not necessarily anti-Semitic by default. However, you show me a person who believes in RT, and odds are good he's an anti-Semite.

what exactly is RT? i mean in general when i hear it .. it means the church is spirtual israel . and i kinda see church history mimicking the history of israel . so i see it as a probability .. or a portent .

Upvote 0

Purge187

Former Prodigal.
May 22, 2011
Oxford, MA
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
what exactly is RT? i mean in general when i hear it .. it means the church is spirtual israel . and i kinda see church history mimicking the history of israel . so i see it as a probability .. or a portent .

It's the idea that, not only has the church replaced Israel, but that God has written off the Jews altogether.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It's the idea that, not only has the church replaced Israel, but that God has written off the Jews altogether.

that's a weird idea . God never writes off anyone .

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes it is, because the ones that invented it were antisemitic. With which I don't want to say people who believe it are, I used to believe it too, well, not that He had rejected them, but that we are Israel and the promises are for us, you just don't have an idea where it came from. The thing that comes from it is: They have no right to live in Israel, it's a spiritual Israel and a spiritual promised land.

Last edited:
Upvote 0