Repentance

To enter the kingdom of God to be born of the spirit that is to repent of The Church of Jesus Christ which was established on the Apostle Peter as the Word of God says:

KJV: And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it

but as the gates of hell shall not prevail against the Church that is the demons can not enter into the church, you have to be a believer in Jesus Christ, that is, the heir to the kingdom of heaven:

KJV: Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

for only the Apostle Peter given the keys of the kingdom of heaven:

KJV: And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

but because more and more time there is an appeal:

KJV: And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

KJV: From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Repent while there is time

Church awaits
I can give the address

Collider is ready to roll heaven

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To enter the kingdom of God to be born of the spirit that is to repent of The Church of Jesus Christ which was established on the Apostle Peter as the Word of God says:

KJV: And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it

but as the gates of hell shall not prevail against the Church that is the demons can not enter into the church, you have to be a believer in Jesus Christ, that is, the heir to the kingdom of heaven:

KJV: Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

KJV: And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

KJV: From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Church awaits
I can give the address

or.... "you(speaking to a mere man)are peter (a small stone) but (speaking of himself) upon this rock i will build my church..
or.. even though you are an small rock i will build to it my church..one cell becomes 2 ...2 becomes 4 and a body grows,but the 1st cell is not the foundation..Jesus is.

and- the gates of hell will not prevail... gates are a defensive structure..they don't go on attack. thus the church will storm the gates of hell and its gates will not hold her(the church) out ...

and-we do not repent of the church... note sure where you were headed with that one

Upvote 0

skypair

Mar 7, 2013
Texas
✟468.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Church awaits
I can give the address

Right message .. wrong church. The "kingdom of heaven" is not the temporal church but a spiritual one. Like the "wind" (Jn 3:8), it cannot be seen. Right now, it's "King" is in heaven and believers, wherever they may be, just ambassadors beseeching all to be reconciled to God — not your church of Jesus Christ established by Peter.

In fact, do you know what Peter it was the started the Catholic church? Simon Patra ("Father Simon" in Latin). Father Simon was actually Simon Magus of Acts 8:18-24. Yeah, the sorcerer! When he left Peter unsaved, he went to Rome. Peter, it can be shown circumstantially, never went to Rome. He was sent by God to the Jews. When he wrote from Babylon, he was actually in Babylon.

So you see, Simon Patra set up his own church loosely fashioned after the teachings of the apostles (which in itself was a mistake as Paul shows us in 1Cor 1). What Paul found when he came to Rome was 1) not Peter (didn't even mention that he, an apostolic luminary of the day, had been there) but 2) a church of strife, of contention, and envy .. that actually "add[ed] to [Paul's] flliction!" But there was also a church there that preached the Christ of love, of good will, and sincerely.

Peter's "keys" can easily be seen in scripture as "opening" the kingdom of heaven to the Jews (Acts 2), to the Samaritans (Acts 8) and to the Gentiles (Acts 10) all of whom he gave the "seed" of faith, the Holy Spirit, which could then be sown without Peter among those people-groups.

skypair

Upvote 0
KJV: And the angel which I saw stand upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his hand to heaven,
KJV: And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer:

time is over

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear DiVao. The Bible tells us to " Repent and be Born Again, which is to feel sorry about all wrongs and sins we committed, and change into loving and caring men and women. Matthew 7: 7-10: tells us to: " ask and you shall
receive." We ask God for Love and Joy, then we thank God, and share all Love and Joy with our neighbour: all we know and all we meet." We keep asking and thanking God, then share all Love and Joy with our neighbour.
We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us, and carry on loving and caring. God will see our loving efforts, and God will forgive us and also bless us.
God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters, the Holy Spirit will help and guide us, and Jesus our Saviour will lead us all the way: JESUS IS THE WAY. A Christian`s great weapon is Love, with love we will overcome all
anger and wrong behaviour. People around us will treat us the same as we treat people, and our Love leads us to a life filled with Joy and Compassion.
Let us Repent, and change into the men and women which God wants us to become. I say this with love, DiVao. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0
C

Cody2

My article on Repentance. All scripture verses are KJV

In this article, we will review the two kinds of repentance. There is a difference between repentance for the saved and repentance for the lost. I apologize in advance because this will be a very repetitive lesson. However, this was done to make the subject matter more clear and memorable.

The lost person cannot be saved by turning from each of his individual sins. A born again child of God, on the other hand, is the one who should obey that type of repentance to maintain close fellowship with his heavenly Father. Salvation is by faith alone, so repenting of certain sins cannot be included in salvation because salvation is not of works.

The truth is, the people that preach that a person has to repent of sins to be saved are mostly concentrating on the physical sins that can be seen, but what about the internal sins like a lustful heart, envy, hatred, covetous, gossiping and etc? Most lost people have not read the Bible extensively, so they are not even aware of all the sins man could commit in his heart. When we first got saved, not one of us fully repented of every sin. Turning away from tobacco and alcohol is not part of salvation. That is work-based salvation. Do not get me wrong; sins should be repented of, but it is not part of salvation.

Ephesians 2:8 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Salvation repentance is not about repenting of sins (plural), but it is about repenting of sin (singular). We find out which sin to repent of to be saved in John 16. The sin is unbelief in Jesus Christ. To be saved, one must turn from the sin of unbelief and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ alone for salvation. A person gets righteousness by trusting Jesus Christ, not repenting of individual sins or any other works. Notice in verse 9, the sin of verse 8 is defined in the below passage.

John 16:7 "Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged."

The first time that "repent" is mentioned in the Bible is in Genesis 6. In this chapter it means "a change of mind", not to repent of individual sins. God repents (changes His mind) of making man because of the wickedness of man, then drowns them all out, besides Noah and his family. So according to the law of first mention and by Bible definition, repentance is not "quitting sin", rather it is a change of mind.

Genesis 6:5 "And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart."

Also in Exodus 13:17, repent means to "change one's mind". Again in Exodus 31:12, Moses pleads with God to "repent/change His mind" about destroying the people. Later on, God does change His mind about the evil He was going to do to the people because of Moses' prayer. There is power in prayer.

Exodus 13:17 "And it came to pass, when Pharaoh had let the people go, that God led them not through the way of the land of the Philistines, although that was near; for God said, Lest peradventure the people repent when they see war, and they return to Egypt:"

Exodus 32:12 "Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, and say, For mischief did he bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth? Turn from thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against thy people. 13 Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, thy servants, to whom thou swarest by thine own self, and saidst unto them, I will multiply your seed as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have spoken of will I give unto your seed, and they shall inherit it for ever. 14 And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people."

Salvation repentance is defined in Acts 20:21. The repentance here could not mean repent of sin because it says "repentance TOWARDS God", which means to turn toward God and believe on Jesus Christ by faith.

Acts 20:21 "Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ."

The heresy of preaching that repenting of sins is part of salvation is even popular in Baptist circles. Some preachers, just to get results when the altar call is made, will say that if someone is doing a certain sin or has not repented of a certain sin, then they are not truly saved. Salvation is to those who believe, not to those who work by doing or not doing something. It is Satanic to tell someone he is not saved because of his lack of giving up sin.

Romans 4:5 "But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness."

Paul said that people who preach this type of gospel are accursed. If you believe you are saved because YOU repented of certain sins in your life, then you should stop trusting in your works, realize you are a sinner and trust Jesus Christ alone to save you. If you are telling people that they need to repent of sins to be saved, then you need to quit preaching your work-based false doctrine.

Galatians 1:9 "As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed."

Again, I am not against preaching against sins. I believe people should hear that type of preaching constantly (saved or lost), but when it comes to salvation, repenting of sins is not the Gospel. The Gospel is that you are a sinner in unbelief and you need to trust what the Saviour did for you (death, burial, resurrection)—not YOUR works.

Galatians 3:1 "O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish?.."

No person has any business going up to a sinner and saying that if they are willing to quit drinking or smoking or lying or anything else then they can get saved. No lost person has the power to repent of anything. They might by their own will, but they need to be saved first. After salvation, the saved person has the Holy Spirit in him to help him turn from sins that hurt his walk with God, not before.

This brings me to my last point, which is repentance for saved sinners. A person who is saved needs to repent of sins daily. There is a heresy today taught among Hyper Dispensationalists that says that saved people do not have to repent because all our sins are forgiven.

It is true doctrinally that all the saved person's past, present and future sins are under the Blood; but we still have to maintain daily fellowship with God. Like our father on earth, we will always be his son, but we have to maintain good fellowship with him. As children of God, we should repent and confess our sins to our Father to stay close to God. Revelation 2, 3 and 2 Corinthians 12:20-21 records God telling Christians to repent of certain sins.

Even though we are saved by grace alone, we should still live for God because He died for us. Our work and repentance after salvation shows our love for God, but it does not save us or keep us saved.

Romans 6:1 "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?"

In 1 Corinthians 11:28-32, it tells Christians that they should examine and judge themselves before partaking of the Lord's Supper. Paul says that if we do not judge our sins then the Lord will chasten us.

1 Corinthians 11:28 "But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. 30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. 31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world."

The next passage includes key verses about the Christian repenting and confessing sins in order to live a joyful Christian life. The context shows that the verses (specifically verses 6 and 7) are not speaking about salvation, but rather fellowship. Verse 9 shows us that we need to repent to have close fellowship and to be used by God. If we do not confess our sins daily then we will become callous towards God and His righteousness and our fellowship with Him will subsequently fall apart.

1 John 1:6 "If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

To conclude, repentance for the lost and saved person is different. The lost person should repent—as in turning to God and believing on Jesus Christ for salvation. The saved person should repent and confess of sins daily to keep good fellowship with God, and because they have to appear at the Judgment Seat of Christ (2 Cor. 5:10-11). A saved person cannot go to Hell, but he can lose rewards at the Judgment Seat of Christ for living in sin and not repenting. If you are saved, then you are "standing" in Christ, but you still have to work on your "state" with God. If you are lost, then repenting of certain sins cannot help you work your way to Heaven because salvation is not of works. Turn to God from your unbelief, and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ; then the Holy Spirit will help you turn from sins AFTER salvation, not before. The love of God will help us live for God and repent of sins after we get saved.

2 Corinthians 5:14 "For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: 15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again."

Upvote 0

skypair

Mar 7, 2013
Texas
✟468.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Repentance is an often misunderstood concept. It is not simply saying, “I’m sorry” to God for what we’ve done. Repentance is having a change of heart, a change of mind, and a change of direction.
Yes! Here's understanding of repentance from the time I did it until now: Repentance is turning from your own will (your sin nature), admitting your sin (sin guilt), and commending your life and will into God's hands. And specifically, I had one sin that I couldn't get rid of .. that was part of my "nature" at the time — smoking. I wanted a new nature that didn't want to smoke and I wanted to be forgiven for smoking. I, in fact, did not believe that I could quit sinning (truly repent) without God's nature and God's salvation.

If you can apply that sin to everything about your old nature and just give your life over to God for Him to deal with, you will be unbelievably relieved — free! And you will realize that His Spirit has come upon you with power!

skypair

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JLR1300

Dec 16, 2012
Oklahoma
✟8,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cody 2...

I agree with what you are saying about repentance. Part of the confusion is that in the greek language there are two main words that are translated as repentance in english. One is metanoia and the other is metamelomai. Metanoia simply means to change your mind or your opinion about something. Metamelomai means to regret or to sorrow. Metamelomai is never used in any scripture which deals with how be be saved or justified. We are not called upon to sorrow enough or to have regrets before we can be justified. We probably will sorrow and have regrets about a lot of things but that doesn't have anything to do with justificaton. We can be saved with or without emotions like sorrow and regret.
As I said, the other word for repent is metanoia. It means an intellectual change of mind. I used to think one thing but now I have changed my mind and I believe something else. It really just means to change your opinion about what you believe or think about a thing. The sinner must repent (metanoia) to be saved. The sinner believes that he is hopefully good enough to make it to heaven. He must change his mind about that and realize that he is so sinful that he can do nothing to save himself. At that point he must believe that Jesus' death on the cross for sin is his only hope and he must believe and trust the blood of Jesus to cover his sin and make him right with God.
The bible never says that in order to be saved a sinner must repent of his sins. Jesus does tell the self-righteous pharisees to repent but he doesn't say to repent of sins. They had already been living according to the law as much as possible. Their problem wasn't that they were dancing and drinking and chasing women... it was that they trusted their obedience to the law to save them. So they needed to repent (change their minds) and believe the gospel. In Acts the Apostle Paul tells some Gentiles who worshiped idols to repent. Not to repent of sins but to change their minds about trusting in idols and trust in Christ for salvation instead.
It is never a good idea to trust in any works we can do. Do not trust in your moral courage in giving up drinking or drugs to save you. Change your mind and trust in Jesus' blood alone. Of course, after you are saved the Holy Spirit will start making changes in your life but that is called sanctification not justification. Thanks.

Upvote 0

JLR1300

Dec 16, 2012
Oklahoma
✟8,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My article on Repentance. All scripture verses are KJV

In this article, we will review the two kinds of repentance. There is a difference between repentance for the saved and repentance for the lost. I apologize in advance because this will be a very repetitive lesson. However, this was done to make the subject matter more clear and memorable.

The lost person cannot be saved by turning from each of his individual sins. A born again child of God, on the other hand, is the one who should obey that type of repentance to maintain close fellowship with his heavenly Father. Salvation is by faith alone, so repenting of certain sins cannot be included in salvation because salvation is not of works.

The truth is, the people that preach that a person has to repent of sins to be saved are mostly concentrating on the physical sins that can be seen, but what about the internal sins like a lustful heart, envy, hatred, covetous, gossiping and etc? Most lost people have not read the Bible extensively, so they are not even aware of all the sins man could commit in his heart. When we first got saved, not one of us fully repented of every sin. Turning away from tobacco and alcohol is not part of salvation. That is work-based salvation. Do not get me wrong; sins should be repented of, but it is not part of salvation.

Ephesians 2:8 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Salvation repentance is not about repenting of sins (plural), but it is about repenting of sin (singular). We find out which sin to repent of to be saved in John 16. The sin is unbelief in Jesus Christ. To be saved, one must turn from the sin of unbelief and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ alone for salvation. A person gets righteousness by trusting Jesus Christ, not repenting of individual sins or any other works. Notice in verse 9, the sin of verse 8 is defined in the below passage.

John 16:7 "Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged."

The first time that "repent" is mentioned in the Bible is in Genesis 6. In this chapter it means "a change of mind", not to repent of individual sins. God repents (changes His mind) of making man because of the wickedness of man, then drowns them all out, besides Noah and his family. So according to the law of first mention and by Bible definition, repentance is not "quitting sin", rather it is a change of mind.

Genesis 6:5 "And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart."

Also in Exodus 13:17, repent means to "change one's mind". Again in Exodus 31:12, Moses pleads with God to "repent/change His mind" about destroying the people. Later on, God does change His mind about the evil He was going to do to the people because of Moses' prayer. There is power in prayer.

Exodus 13:17 "And it came to pass, when Pharaoh had let the people go, that God led them not through the way of the land of the Philistines, although that was near; for God said, Lest peradventure the people repent when they see war, and they return to Egypt:"

Exodus 32:12 "Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, and say, For mischief did he bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth? Turn from thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against thy people. 13 Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, thy servants, to whom thou swarest by thine own self, and saidst unto them, I will multiply your seed as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have spoken of will I give unto your seed, and they shall inherit it for ever. 14 And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people."

Salvation repentance is defined in Acts 20:21. The repentance here could not mean repent of sin because it says "repentance TOWARDS God", which means to turn toward God and believe on Jesus Christ by faith.

Acts 20:21 "Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ."

The heresy of preaching that repenting of sins is part of salvation is even popular in Baptist circles. Some preachers, just to get results when the altar call is made, will say that if someone is doing a certain sin or has not repented of a certain sin, then they are not truly saved. Salvation is to those who believe, not to those who work by doing or not doing something. It is Satanic to tell someone he is not saved because of his lack of giving up sin.

Romans 4:5 "But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness."

Paul said that people who preach this type of gospel are accursed. If you believe you are saved because YOU repented of certain sins in your life, then you should stop trusting in your works, realize you are a sinner and trust Jesus Christ alone to save you. If you are telling people that they need to repent of sins to be saved, then you need to quit preaching your work-based false doctrine.

Galatians 1:9 "As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed."

Again, I am not against preaching against sins. I believe people should hear that type of preaching constantly (saved or lost), but when it comes to salvation, repenting of sins is not the Gospel. The Gospel is that you are a sinner in unbelief and you need to trust what the Saviour did for you (death, burial, resurrection)—not YOUR works.

Galatians 3:1 "O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish?.."

No person has any business going up to a sinner and saying that if they are willing to quit drinking or smoking or lying or anything else then they can get saved. No lost person has the power to repent of anything. They might by their own will, but they need to be saved first. After salvation, the saved person has the Holy Spirit in him to help him turn from sins that hurt his walk with God, not before.

This brings me to my last point, which is repentance for saved sinners. A person who is saved needs to repent of sins daily. There is a heresy today taught among Hyper Dispensationalists that says that saved people do not have to repent because all our sins are forgiven.

It is true doctrinally that all the saved person's past, present and future sins are under the Blood; but we still have to maintain daily fellowship with God. Like our father on earth, we will always be his son, but we have to maintain good fellowship with him. As children of God, we should repent and confess our sins to our Father to stay close to God. Revelation 2, 3 and 2 Corinthians 12:20-21 records God telling Christians to repent of certain sins.

Even though we are saved by grace alone, we should still live for God because He died for us. Our work and repentance after salvation shows our love for God, but it does not save us or keep us saved.

Romans 6:1 "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?"

In 1 Corinthians 11:28-32, it tells Christians that they should examine and judge themselves before partaking of the Lord's Supper. Paul says that if we do not judge our sins then the Lord will chasten us.

1 Corinthians 11:28 "But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. 30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. 31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world."

The next passage includes key verses about the Christian repenting and confessing sins in order to live a joyful Christian life. The context shows that the verses (specifically verses 6 and 7) are not speaking about salvation, but rather fellowship. Verse 9 shows us that we need to repent to have close fellowship and to be used by God. If we do not confess our sins daily then we will become callous towards God and His righteousness and our fellowship with Him will subsequently fall apart.

1 John 1:6 "If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

To conclude, repentance for the lost and saved person is different. The lost person should repent—as in turning to God and believing on Jesus Christ for salvation. The saved person should repent and confess of sins daily to keep good fellowship with God, and because they have to appear at the Judgment Seat of Christ (2 Cor. 5:10-11). A saved person cannot go to Hell, but he can lose rewards at the Judgment Seat of Christ for living in sin and not repenting. If you are saved, then you are "standing" in Christ, but you still have to work on your "state" with God. If you are lost, then repenting of certain sins cannot help you work your way to Heaven because salvation is not of works. Turn to God from your unbelief, and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ; then the Holy Spirit will help you turn from sins AFTER salvation, not before. The love of God will help us live for God and repent of sins after we get saved.

2 Corinthians 5:14 "For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: 15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again."

Thank you Cody... It is nice to see someone who understands the biblical concept of repentance. Sinners always think that they are basically good and their sin is not that bad and so God is not going to punish them. They need to change their minds (repent) and believe that they are bad, sin is evil and God is holy and just and will punish them. They have to change their thinking. They also need to quit believing that they can do anything whatsoever to make themselves right with God and start believing instead that only the blood of Jesus can cover their sins and make them right with God. That is true repentance that causes justification.

If you want the perfect definition of repentance (for unsaved people) look at 2nd Timothy 2:25
In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

Unsaved people need to change their thinking to the acknowledgment of the Truth. They need to stop believing falsehoods and believe the truth of the gospel instead. And what is the gospel? The belief that you cannot do any moral work whatsoever to save yourself but are saved by Jesus alone because of His work at the cross.

People who say that you must resolve to give up this sin and that sin in order to be saved and then turn around and say that you must trust in Jesus alone for salvation and not in your works are totally contradicting
themselves.

I think it is important however to realize that as soon as God saves us He then puts the Holy Spirit in us and then we will indeed turn from individual sins. But nobody is perfectly sinless in this life.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear vao. Repentance is very important, but only if to be Born Again, is the outcome. God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters. Jesus told
us in Matthew 22: 35-40: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy souls, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: Love thy neighbour as thyself." In 40: Jesus tell us this great fact: "on these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." God is Love,
and God wants loving sons and daughters. Everything we say or do, everything we advice or stand for: MUST BE FROM LOVE AND COMPASSION.
God will see our loving efforts, and God will approve and bless us.
In Matthew 7: 7-10: we are told: " ask and you shall receive," ask God for Love and Joy, then thank God and share all Love and Joy with our neighbour.
( neighbour is: all we know and all we love, friends or not friends)
Repentance changes us into the men and women which God wants us to become, and then we give up all selfish wishes and wants, and start loving and caring. We keep asking and receiving, then change into loving and caring.
We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us, and carry on Loving and Caring. The Holy Spirit will help and guide us, and Jesus our Saviour will lead us all the way: JESUS IS THE WAY.
Repentance and be Born Again, will turn us into the men and women which God wants us to become. Let Repentance turn us into " Born Again," sons and daughters of God our Heavenly Father. I say this with love, vao. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2013
Province of Ontario, Canada.
✟8,323.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Great article, Cody2!:)

For people who preach that they have to be absolutely perfect and
repent of sin to get to Heaven is false, I believe also. For the person
who's following that doctrine, I'd say " oh, and how's the sinless life
going for you?" when we all know it's impossible to stop sinning.

Even with the Holy Spirit within us, God and Lord Jesus, Satan always
manages to creep into our minds with images and negative feelings,
thoughts etc. How easy is it not to get intolerant or angry at times?
Very hard. I find myself a patient person, but there are certain things
that can trigger me to get uptight or angry. Not blow a gasket and
start yelling or hitting someone mind you. But inside my mind......

I believe all that which you typed out. And I'm trying to follow it. I do
pray for forgiveness when I do sin. I have sin problems I'm dealing with like lust, inappropriate content, gluttony when it come to sweets and sometimes salty snacks like chips. And because of my flaws, with sincerity when I do pray, do I
believe God will deny me the Holy Spirit, and send me to hell when I kick the bucket? No, I don't believe he will.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 25, 2013
✟8,323.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'd learned from watching In touch today with Dr. Stanley, that repentance is important. It's in the sense that because we believe not just about Jesus, but "in" him that God is rightful and just to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

No matter what the sin, I have to deliberately and in my heart, turn my
heart away from that sin. Not that I or anyone will be lost if our heart
and belief is "IN" Lord Jesus Christ. He states that no, we won't be lost
if we do again commit the same said sins. We have to make an honest
full effort. He is Lord and Savior. We cannot accept him as just our savior without him being the Lord of our lives, and us reverencing him for
who he truly is.

Half hearted attempts or just confessing the sin, even with sincerity and time after time, after time giving in won't cut it.

Here's his newest sermon, titled "The Missing Link":

This Week on TV

Upvote 0

iLove

Jan 3, 2013
✟28,526.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Repentance is an often misunderstood concept. It is not simply saying, “I’m sorry” to God for what we’ve done. Repentance is having a change of heart, a change of mind, and a change of direction.
“For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him” (Philippians 2:13, NLT)

When you become a believer by accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior, God begins working in you. He changes your desires from self-seeking to God-seeking. But notice He didn’t just give you the desire to please Him; He gave you the power to please Him, too. He didn’t just call you; He equipped you!

Lord Jesus must become Adonai to you, He is the one to whom you submit or bow down; He is the Boss of your life. Adonai is the ultimate authority figure in your life and the One to whom you owe your complete allegiance. ADONAI is the password to experience JEHOVAH and ELOHIM.

You have not begun to see what God can do until He becomes your Adonai!

We want God to do what the word says He can do without giving Him the right to own. God is not going to give you more of JEHOVAH if you are not willing to submit to ADONAI. If a Christians is not willing to give him ownership or allow Him to become master of your life then the information flow stops, ceases, lessens, drips, rather than being full force with more data on God fulfilling what His word proclaims He will and can do. Many Christians want God to get them to heaven but not own them on earth.

Jesus is ADONAI in the New Testament. He says, "“So why do you keep calling me ‘Lord, Lord!’ when you don’t do what I say?" In other words, you are talking that talk but I do not own you. So you get to take care of you. The reason why more Christians are not being delivered and set free is because they have believed until salvation but not confess until Lordship. Until the Lordship issue is settled the manifestation of GOD - JEHOVAH and ELOHIM will be limited or negated in a Christian life. Acts 2:36 says, God has made Jesus Lord and Christ. The slave to Christ becomes the Lords freeman - 1 Corinthians 7:21-24. In other words the more you become a slave to Jesus the freer you become as a person. The less you are a slave to Jesus the more bound you become as a person.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2013
✟8,323.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Ok. I just noticed something. I have a New Standard revised version of the Bible. The part where Lord Jesus says "though he were dead" has been omitted. Not good!:o

Upvote 0