Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The following is from a fellow christian and I wanted to bring it up in here. :D

Many young people, especially those in the Church, think that they will live for themselves today and live for the Lord tomorrow. They reason that they can sin now and repent later. This is a very dangerous game. For, what they fail to reckon with is the fact that repentance is a gift of God and like any gift of God it is dispensed at the pleasure of God. How long, do they suppose, will God be pleased to wait whilst rebels scorn His offer?

If they resist God now, what makes them think that they will embrace Him later? Rebellion is a strange way to secure salvation. What profit is a rebel to God or His Church? Pointing to men like Moses, Samuel, David and Daniel, J.C Ryle notes that “Almost all the eminent saints of God sought the Lord early.” Of course, God can and does save men and women of all ages. Certainly there are examples of sinners converted when they are old. But, according to Bishop J.C. Ryle, these are the exception and not the rule.

Experience tells me that people's hearts are seldom changed if they are not changed when young. Seldom indeed are men converted when they are old. Habits have deep roots. Once sin is allowed to settle in your heart, it will not be turned out at your bidding. Custom becomes second nature, and its chains are not easily broken (J.C Ryle, Thoughts for Young Men).
If a young person hopes to repent at a later time, they must think themselves quite exceptional. Let us hope they are right. For the odds are against them, and such a hope will prove more difficult than first imagined. As Ryle explains, repentance becomes more difficult with age because “the voice of our conscience becomes feebler and fainter” the longer we resist it. Ignore your conscience long enough and it just might go away. If it is hard for a lively, nagging conscience to bend; how much harder is it for a dull and deadened one?

Finally, Ryle warns that repentance may not always be found because, “the Spirit will not always strive”. Consider poor Esau, who could not find repentance, though he “sought it carefully with tears” (Hebrews 12:17). The time for repentance passed Esau by, just has it has and will for many others.

To those who have been putting off repentance: remember that repentance delayed may be repentance denied. Therefore, repent today and seek the Lord while He may be found.

Thomas222

Jan 2, 2011
✟15,262.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Repentance just means to feel and know a deep sense sorrow for rebellion against God. Regret is not a strong enough word. I would say that if a young Christian is saying that they will delay repentance for when they are older. It simply means they do not understand the meaning of repentance.
No Christian alive can uphold the commandments like Christ did. Therefore we can never be worthy of Heaven in the eyes of God. Except through our faith in Christ.

I am 18 years old by the way.

Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Leah-

Are you saying that there are young people inside the church who are deliberately sinning, thinking that they have all the time in the world to repent of their sins due to their youth? That, in and of itself, is a contradiction of how we Christians are to conduct ourselves.

Every Christian, irregardless of age, has a code of conduct which he/she is to follow:

So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. (Galatians 5:16-26,NIV)

It is the Spirit that battles our sinful nature, rather than ourselves. We can no more fight our own natural, sinful state that a leopard can exchange his spots for stripes. But even though we cannot fight our sinful nature ourselves, we are to be cooperative when the Spirit fights it.

The second paragraph (the acts of the sinful nature) lists what the Spirit is 'reining in'. We all have a spiritual 'achilles heel' located somewhere in this list of acts. If it's not one thing, it's another, but if we are honest we must admit that there is one, or even more than one, of these acts that we personally have a problem with. For this reason we need to get our of the Spirit's way when he goes after them.

The third paragraph (the fruit of the Spirit) lists the 9 'fruit' that are the parameters of what we Christians are to think, say and do. All our thoughts, all our words, and all our actions are to accept these 9 'fruit' as the borders beyond which they are not to go. So long as we cooperate with the Spirit, permitting him to lead us as we continue our journey through this life, We have assurance that our thoughts, words and actions will indeed conform to what God expects of us.

If your young people still cling to the acts of the sinful nature, while considering themselves to be Christians, something has gone wrong. Either they don't recognize the acts of the sinful nature as being sinful (were they ever instructed as to what a Christian's proper behavior was to be?), or they're 'playing church' (aka 'going through the motions'), or (and this is what I consider to be the most dangerous) they are attempting to corrupt the teachings of Christianity itself in the name of modernization.

There is also another possibility, which may be the most probable reason for their behavior. Christianity never really 'took root' in their hearts:

"Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path. The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown." (The Gospel of St. matthew 13:18-23,NIV)

Christianity, if it is to be seen correctly, must be seen as an organism rather than as an organization. If the faith of the young people has not taken root in 'good soil' then they need to have the Spirit examine their hearts in order to fix what's wrong. If the faith isn't there at all, then they need to ask God to give it to them, for without it they are indeed lost.

Good luck, and God bless-

Upvote 0

cubinity

jesus is; the rest is commentary.
Jun 11, 2010
✟20,090.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I don't think anyone does anything because they think they can just "repent" later. I honestly think we do the things we do because we just don't care what you think we ought to do.

If I was faced with doing something that I felt I would have to apologize for or regret later, I wouldn't do it. I do what I think is right because, like you, I hate the pain that consequentially comes from doing wrong.

Your problem with my behavior is that you and I fundamentally disagree about what is right and wrong. Okay, I do things that you think are wrong. That's fine. The Bible gives provisions for that. I'm not supposed to do those things in front of you, or I might cause you to do something you believe is wrong. So, I leave the house and do them with my friends, who agree that no ethic is being violated. Scripture Satisfied.

However, I am still free to do what I do, and I do those things without concern and without intending to "repent" of them later. I do them because I genuinely believe they are right.

Upvote 0

onemorequestion

Jun 27, 2010
✟1,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The following is from a fellow christian and I wanted to bring it up in here. :D

Many young people, especially those in the Church, think that they will live for themselves today and live for the Lord tomorrow. They reason that they can sin now and repent later. This is a very dangerous game. For, what they fail to reckon with is the fact that repentance is a gift of God and like any gift of God it is dispensed at the pleasure of God. How long, do they suppose, will God be pleased to wait whilst rebels scorn His offer?

If they resist God now, what makes them think that they will embrace Him later? Rebellion is a strange way to secure salvation. What profit is a rebel to God or His Church? Pointing to men like Moses, Samuel, David and Daniel, J.C Ryle notes that “Almost all the eminent saints of God sought the Lord early.” Of course, God can and does save men and women of all ages. Certainly there are examples of sinners converted when they are old. But, according to Bishop J.C. Ryle, these are the exception and not the rule.
Experience tells me that people's hearts are seldom changed if they are not changed when young. Seldom indeed are men converted when they are old. Habits have deep roots. Once sin is allowed to settle in your heart, it will not be turned out at your bidding. Custom becomes second nature, and its chains are not easily broken (J.C Ryle, Thoughts for Young Men).
If a young person hopes to repent at a later time, they must think themselves quite exceptional. Let us hope they are right. For the odds are against them, and such a hope will prove more difficult than first imagined. As Ryle explains, repentance becomes more difficult with age because “the voice of our conscience becomes feebler and fainter” the longer we resist it. Ignore your conscience long enough and it just might go away. If it is hard for a lively, nagging conscience to bend; how much harder is it for a dull and deadened one?

Finally, Ryle warns that repentance may not always be found because, “the Spirit will not always strive”. Consider poor Esau, who could not find repentance, though he “sought it carefully with tears” (Hebrews 12:17). The time for repentance passed Esau by, just has it has and will for many others.

To those who have been putting off repentance: remember that repentance delayed may be repentance denied. Therefore, repent today and seek the Lord while He may be found.

Repentance Delayed May Be Repentance Denied

The goal of the Left.

That is what it's all about.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Leah. To me the most wonderful thought is: God can see our hearts, and God will know if we are rebellious, or just do not know what we are doing. ( Jesus pleaded for us on the Cross, ) Father forgive them for they do not know what they do. God gave us free will, we can choose the time to follow our Lord, and the young ones are most perplexed. God wants our love, and God wants our love freely given: No fear-tactics. Happy are those who love God because they know that God loves us. We Christians have a great and loving task, we are the only representatives our Lord has on Earth. Jesus told us to tell the Good News to all the world. What better way than to be the RIGHT signposts. Even God`s eternal Law of Justice gives the sinner time to come to Repentance when he, or she, is ready. The better we think we know God, the greater our responsibility to show, and explain with love, what God wants from us: as Jesus told the Lawyer in Matthew, chapter 22, verses 35-40. " The first and great Commandment is: love God with all our hearts, with all our souls, and with all our minds. The second is likewise: love thy neighbour as thyself." Then Jesus points out: " on these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." Straightforward: it is our love God wants from us; Love the ingredient in all we do, and all we say. ( Needless to point out that God wants selfless love, and beneficial love.) Young people need loving encouragement, NOT fright-tactics. God is Love and Forgiveness, if we ask sincerely God will forgive as we forgive, as long as necessary. I say this humbly and with love, Leah. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2011
US
✟15,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What happens if you have accepted Christ as your Lord and Savior and then get caught up in sin and don't repent of the sin? Are you saying one will be denied heaven? I thought Salvation was a free gift and that one is sealed by the Holy Spirit - NOTHING can take one out of God's hands. Please explain your point.

Upvote 0
H

Heavens

Amen to the OP.
For non repentant sinners Lizzie, a strong point to shake a non-repentant sinner into fearing for his soul would be to share a sobering fearful fact;

(Heb 10:26) For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
(Heb 10:27) But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Upvote 0

Armistead14

Mar 18, 2006
✟9,449.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The young brains are every learning, they're brain cells aren't complete until after 20.

It's is the natural process of youth to rebel, it's called finding adulthood. That is why wise parents will teach them of Christ as children so once they settle down they will return to it.

Many youth go through periods of finding Christ, going back into the world, finding other forums for living.

Course if you think God will drop them in hell for this process, then your point is valid to you, I don't believe he will.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums