Repentance and Faith (again)

A

acceptjesus

I found this in the book (Google Books Preview) Gospel Centered Discipleship

"How do we repent? We repent through faith... turning to God in faith and from sin in repentance are the same movement. Try it now. Stand facing the window. Then turn to face the opposite wall. The act of turning from the window and turning towards the wall is one movement. You can't turn towards the wall without turning away from the window. And you can't turn to God in faith without turning away from sin in repentance.

So does this mean when I believed I repented?

chapmic

Follower of Jesus
Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2014
✟50,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Kind of, but faith without works is dead. I know for me before I truly repented I lived a lifestyle of fornication and getting drunk and so on. I realized that I have to make a decision that I am not going to do that lifestyle anymore. I still drink but I don't get drunk I repented in my mind because I don't plan on sinning. I read the bible because I'm more concerned about what he wants to do for me in my life, instead of worrying about what the secular world wants for my life and what the secular world says is best for me. We have to die to our selfish desires and live to serve the Lord like Jesus did, by telling others the good news and wanting to heal people of their physical and emotional wounds.

Upvote 0
A

acceptjesus

I focus so much on repentance because in my thinking I have to give up inappropriate content to be saved and like I said in a previous post I did for 50 or so days but fell and am now back in it. I just want to be saved. I suffer from OCD so it causes me not to focus on inappropriate content but salvation and repentance I'm on medication but it doesn't seem to really help but with my depression and physical anxiety. Please pray for me.

Upvote 0

chapmic

Follower of Jesus
Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2014
✟50,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Trust me I understand that it is an ongoing battle, I still have. The thing I am doing now is taking it one day at a time, and treat everyday like a clean slate and a new challenge. I do my best when I am reading the Bible or talking/praying to Jesus about my issue. What comforts me most is reminding myself that God gave me a Spirit that has more power and discipline that I can ever have and I cry out for strength when I am weak.

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2014
✟8,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I found this in the book (Google Books Preview) Gospel Centered Discipleship

"How do we repent? We repent through faith... turning to God in faith and from sin in repentance are the same movement. Try it now. Stand facing the window. Then turn to face the opposite wall. The act of turning from the window and turning towards the wall is one movement. You can't turn towards the wall without turning away from the window. And you can't turn to God in faith without turning away from sin in repentance.

So does this mean when I believed I repented?

That's a kool description of repentance, or the beginning of it.

Turning to God is necessary to find repentance with him, after which he leads us into repentance.

I believe being baptized with the Spirit equates to repentance. And as I follow Jesus wicked ways get exposed, from which I have to turn away to keep going.

The object of repentance is to wash away sins and be converted, after which we go on to perfection. (Hebrews 6:1)

Upvote 0