Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Here, can be posted prayers, thoughts, memories, and pictures, etc. to honor Dan's (DantheMan) memory and wish his precious loved ones well, or anything that is on our hearts about Dan and his family. (((hug)))

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
i remember Dan expressing such pain....and praying and sharing this song with him....it's about God raising beauty from ashes...and regardless of how it seems, God can moooooove and raise beauty from ashes for his precious boys and his family. Praying (((hug)))

GLORIOUS RUINS - HILLSONG LIVE (Lyric Video) - YouTube

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
that's very gracious of you, thank you....i didn't know him either, just from the posts he made here....towards the end he was praying for so many, encouraging them, and he wanted us all to pray for his precious boys, his grandfather, and his family.....he is greatly missed. God bless you.

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I did not know Dan but I am familial with suicidal thoughts. I'm interested in who may have seen the dangers coming(can we learn from it),how did he commit suicide,did he leave a note that explains where he was and did that help with his family.

Very sad,as kids can take on guilt and wonder if this is a family trend. His load must have been very heavy to overcome the "will to live". I read a statistic that in the last 10 years men in their 50s have had a 150% increase in suicide. The thought was that it was due to men losing their job they had over 30yrs and not finding new employment. Man's role is perceived as provider so identity is threatened. (Exactly where I have lived this last year.)

Blessings to his family.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
From someone that knew Dan and has posted here before.

Re: Hello

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to share this story just because it's pretty powerful and I figure there's no better place to share it than here on a christian website.

Dan wasn't the guy who would come up to you and say, "Have you heard about Jesus Christ"? and then proceed to witness to you and tell you why you're going to hell if you don't accept him into your heart. Dan was the guy who witnessed to people through living a great life and giving all glory to God. He led by example in all aspects of his life. And he was the kind of guy who you wanted to listen to and emulate and work hard for. It is amazing how many guys he brought to God just by being who he was and living a good christian life. I think he had just about every Marine in his unit going to church on Sundays, not because he told them to but because they saw that that was the best thing for them. There is a saying that there are no atheists in foxholes. Well that isn't true. There are a ton of atheists in the military, so it is no easy task to get a bunch of stubborn jarheads to believe that there is a God when they are seeing the things they are seeing and constantly in danger of being killed.

When we were in Ramadi in 2005 we had an Iraqi interpreter named Ayham attached to our unit. He would never miss an opportunity to tell you his name meant "brave". And he really was very brave for what he did. Dan and Ayham built up a pretty strong and trusting relationship. I don't know if any of you have any experience with it but it takes a lot to build up trust with the INF (Iraqi National Force) guys because a lot of them joined just to infiltrate our Ops. We had that happen before so it was especially hard to trust them. But Dan formed a bond with this guy. They talked a lot about religion. Dan about Christianity and Ayham about Islam. They wouldn't debate, they just talked. Dan had a bible and he would read from it to him and Ayham would read from the Koran. Now to make a long story very short, one morning after a particularly bloody firefight, Ayham told us he would like to say something. He then told us that he had become a Christian was going to convert his entire family as well thanks to Mr. Gregory (that was Dan's last name). If you don't know how brave it is for a Muslim to profess something like that, well it's more brave than anything any of us have ever done. After that I really saw a change in Ayham. He went from being a kind of solemn and unhappy guy to being full of life. Even when times were tough, which was almost every day. He said it was the best thing he ever did in his life. From what I know about Dan, I wouldn't be surprised if there were others that he was able to convert as well.

Most of you probably never knew that Dan was anything other than a lonely, crippled, and angry man. I've read through the posts he made here his last few days and it didn't even sound like the Dan I knew and loved. Sadly if I hadn't known him and read these things I would have thought, what is this guy's problem? It was obvious he needed a friend more than anything and I just wish I would have known. I wish I could have visited him and let him know that somebody was there and actually cared about him. He literally had nobody besides you guys there at the end. From what I understand, his aunt & uncle were there at the house but he wouldn't talk to them. So I guess you guys were it. And you did all you could. I think he knew a long time ago it was going to come to what it came to.

All he cared about was his family and he knew (or thought he knew) that he was never going to get his wife and kids back, and he knew he was never going to get his Marines back. He knew he was never going to be able to walk and talk and function like a normal human being. I can't say that I would have handled it any different than he ultimately did. Dan loved to coach his kids' teams and run and workout. He loved to spend time with his wife. They had been together since his junior year and her sophomore year in high school. 22 years. I seriously have never met two people who loved each other more. Most Marines don't smile all the time like he did, but he loved his life. He loved being a dad and a husband. And he would tell you in a heartbeat that all the good in his life was because of God. Not to say that his life was perfect. He has some really bad things happen in his short life, but he never let things get him down. He knew that God was going to take care of him.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally Posted by bobross View Post
Thank you for starting this thread Brinny. Maybe we can make this a place to post things that we can eventually send to his wife and kids to know that there are more people out there who care.

Great idea. Thank you for starting this, Brinny :hug:

Awwww bless yer heart, thank you. Dan touched so many lives, and powerfully. May God's inexplicable grace pour out on his precious family, strengthening and sustaining them. And i pray his grandfather is still alive. Dan says he would be 101 years old now. Dan asked for prayer, that his grandfather would embrace Jesus before he dies. I pray that is so. (((hug)))

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to share this story just because it's pretty powerful and I figure there's no better place to share it than here on a christian website.

Dan wasn't the guy who would come up to you and say, "Have you heard about Jesus Christ"? and then proceed to witness to you and tell you why you're going to hell if you don't accept him into your heart. Dan was the guy who witnessed to people through living a great life and giving all glory to God. He led by example in all aspects of his life. And he was the kind of guy who you wanted to listen to and emulate and work hard for. It is amazing how many guys he brought to God just by being who he was and living a good christian life. I think he had just about every Marine in his unit going to church on Sundays, not because he told them to but because they saw that that was the best thing for them. There is a saying that there are no atheists in foxholes. Well that isn't true. There are a ton of atheists in the military, so it is no easy task to get a bunch of stubborn jarheads to believe that there is a God when they are seeing the things they are seeing and constantly in danger of being killed.

When we were in Ramadi in 2005 we had an Iraqi interpreter named Ayham attached to our unit. He would never miss an opportunity to tell you his name meant "brave". And he really was very brave for what he did. Dan and Ayham built up a pretty strong and trusting relationship. I don't know if any of you have any experience with it but it takes a lot to build up trust with the INF (Iraqi National Force) guys because a lot of them joined just to infiltrate our Ops. We had that happen before so it was especially hard to trust them. But Dan formed a bond with this guy. They talked a lot about religion. Dan about Christianity and Ayham about Islam. They wouldn't debate, they just talked. Dan had a bible and he would read from it to him and Ayham would read from the Koran. Now to make a long story very short, one morning after a particularly bloody firefight, Ayham told us he would like to say something. He then told us that he had become a Christian was going to convert his entire family as well thanks to Mr. Gregory (that was Dan's last name). If you don't know how brave it is for a Muslim to profess something like that, well it's more brave than anything any of us have ever done. After that I really saw a change in Ayham. He went from being a kind of solemn and unhappy guy to being full of life. Even when times were tough, which was almost every day. He said it was the best thing he ever did in his life. From what I know about Dan, I wouldn't be surprised if there were others that he was able to convert as well.

Most of you probably never knew that Dan was anything other than a lonely, crippled, and angry man. I've read through the posts he made here his last few days and it didn't even sound like the Dan I knew and loved. Sadly if I hadn't known him and read these things I would have thought, what is this guy's problem? It was obvious he needed a friend more than anything and I just wish I would have known. I wish I could have visited him and let him know that somebody was there and actually cared about him. He literally had nobody besides you guys there at the end. From what I understand, his aunt & uncle were there at the house but he wouldn't talk to them. So I guess you guys were it. And you did all you could. I think he knew a long time ago it was going to come to what it came to.

All he cared about was his family and he knew (or thought he knew) that he was never going to get his wife and kids back, and he knew he was never going to get his Marines back. He knew he was never going to be able to walk and talk and function like a normal human being. I can't say that I would have handled it any different than he ultimately did. Dan loved to coach his kids' teams and run and workout. He loved to spend time with his wife. They had been together since his junior year and her sophomore year in high school. 22 years. I seriously have never met two people who loved each other more. Most Marines don't smile all the time like he did, but he loved his life. He loved being a dad and a husband. And he would tell you in a heartbeat that all the good in his life was because of God. Not to say that his life was perfect. He has some really bad things happen in his short life, but he never let things get him down. He knew that God was going to take care of him.

Awwwww Michelle, thank you for sharing this. it is sooo precious. (((hug)))

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Praying for Mike Martinez's, Joe Chenoweth's, Ricky Kazas', and George Torrez's families, loved ones, friends, and all who knew them. May God pour out His inexplicable grace on each dear one and strengthen and sustain them (((hug)))

Praying for Dennis Benson, Nick Fox, Brett Pulju, and Luke Kauer and their families and loved ones as well. May God pour out blessings on each dear one, and their households. (((hug)))

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
dan the man was the man. i'm so sad to hear this.
i wanted to join the marines but he told me to join the navy instead so i did. i'm glad i got the chance to talk to him..

I'm glad for you too! I am glad to have known him even if it was only online. I feel like I lost a good friend.

Upvote 0

LilyMJ

Oct 10, 2010
✟16,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much Michelle. This really blessed me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.