Elgibbor

Veteran
Oct 14, 2011
✟1,641.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
People believe in God because of 3 fears that they allow to rule their lives. As we primates developed an ability to think abstractly and not only became self aware but became future aware and knew one day we would die, the fear of death caused us to invent a "soul" to mitigate the horrible thought of no longer existing at some point in time. The soul needed a creator and redeemer, thus a god was invented also.
As we became smarter, more analytical, and had significant knowledge to pass down from one generation to another we became very powerful indeed. Rather than simply fighting over territory with the tribe next door, we could plan out their demise and carry it out. But with power, also comes an awesome responsibility of which we feared. Thus, when we did something horrible, like butcher the tribe next door, or if something horrible happened to us like we died of disease because we didn't know about proper sanitation, it was "god's will." Rather than accept responsbility we now have someone we can blame it on. A couple I know recently accidently got pregnant while the girl was on some major meds for an unrelated problem. They're religious so won't consider an abortion even though the meds may have a terrible impact on the fetus. Their response? "God put us in this position" It apparently had little to do with them.
The last fear is insidious. It is a mental virus. Early in the first milennia AD, there was a big political movement to try to convert as many people as possible to christianity. So Hell was invented as a scare tactic. If you didn't have faith, if you didn't convert, if you didn't pay money to the churches, there would be Hell to pay! The movement hit critical mass and to this day, some of the first concepts children are taught is this horrible place called hell where the "loving god" sends you to be burned for all eternity if you don't blindly follow every doctrine. In short, it is a brainwashing scheme perpetrated on people at the youngest age possible, which is why religious people stay religious.
So there you have it. The causes of religious fanaticism and adherence:
(1) The fear of death
(2) The fear of responsibility
(3) The fear of Hell

seekertruth72

Apr 28, 2012
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I agree with you about religion.

However, a relationship with God through Jesus brings true life.

Jas_1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
T

Theofane

Religion Sucks

For the most part, religion does indeed suck. It's just another man-made institution that has fallen prey to greed and power-seeking. Jesus tells us exactly what he thinks of pharasaical religion in the Gospels. Centuries later, the Christian religion became pharasaical. The persecuted become the persecutors. Our sin-nature is inevitable and will in time corrupt everything. Christopher Hitchens said, "Religion poisons everything." But I don't he properly understood how or why religion itself became poisoned in the first place.

You've heard of the Midas Touch? In reality, human beings have the opposite of that.

Upvote 0
P

Publius

People believe in God because of 3 fears that they allow to rule their lives. As we primates developed an ability to think abstractly and not only became self aware but became future aware and knew one day we would die, the fear of death caused us to invent a "soul" to mitigate the horrible thought of no longer existing at some point in time. The soul needed a creator and redeemer, thus a god was invented also.
As we became smarter, more analytical, and had significant knowledge to pass down from one generation to another we became very powerful indeed. Rather than simply fighting over territory with the tribe next door, we could plan out their demise and carry it out. But with power, also comes an awesome responsibility of which we feared. Thus, when we did something horrible, like butcher the tribe next door, or if something horrible happened to us like we died of disease because we didn't know about proper sanitation, it was "god's will." Rather than accept responsbility we now have someone we can blame it on. A couple I know recently accidently got pregnant while the girl was on some major meds for an unrelated problem. They're religious so won't consider an abortion even though the meds may have a terrible impact on the fetus. Their response? "God put us in this position" It apparently had little to do with them.
The last fear is insidious. It is a mental virus. Early in the first milennia AD, there was a big political movement to try to convert as many people as possible to christianity. So Hell was invented as a scare tactic. If you didn't have faith, if you didn't convert, if you didn't pay money to the churches, there would be Hell to pay! The movement hit critical mass and to this day, some of the first concepts children are taught is this horrible place called hell where the "loving god" sends you to be burned for all eternity if you don't blindly follow every doctrine. In short, it is a brainwashing scheme perpetrated on people at the youngest age possible, which is why religious people stay religious.
So there you have it. The causes of religious fanaticism and adherence:
(1) The fear of death
(2) The fear of responsibility
(3) The fear of Hell

The purpose of this forum is for non-Christians to ask Christians questions about Christianity. So do you have a question or did you just come here to insult us and see how many false statements about our religion you could cram into one post?

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seeing as Agnosticism is a religion....

-_-

There is no such thing as "relationship, not religion" Christianity. It is 1960's pop theology.

Scripture does not agree with you, nor do I.

John 17:3 says:

John 17:3
And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. KJV

Speaks of knowing God The Father and Jesus.
It is Life!

They are so "much" that it will take eternity to know them completely.

That is ok.

We have the "time".:)
That is a relationship! :clap:

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Agnosticism is not a religion. It's the believe that God may or may not exist.

You have a belief in what cannot be answered by empiracle studies. Just because your answer is "ambiguous" doesn't change the fact that it is a belief.

Agnosticism is a religion.

Scripture does not agree with you, nor do I.

Incorrect.

John 17:3
And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. KJV

That's religion.

Might I suggest etymology and historical research? Because the record is very clear as is the very word "religion" itself that Christianity is a religion.

Religion=relationship. That's what Christianity has always taught. Pop theology doesn't change eternal truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seekertruth72

Apr 28, 2012
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I love to fear God. It humbles me and causes me to turn from my iniquity, and i need a lot of help in that department. Its a gift from God because He loves me, not because He hates me. Praise the Lord. His mercy is great upon them that fear Him. He is strength and a shield to those that fear Him.

Psa_85:9 Surely his salvation is nigh them that fear him; that glory may dwell in our land.

Psa_66:16 Come and hear, all ye that fear God, and I will declare what he hath done for my soul.

Psa_115:11 Ye that fear the LORD, trust in the LORD: he is their help and their shield.

Psa_118:4 Let them now that fear the LORD say, that his mercy endureth for ever.

Psa_119:120 My flesh trembleth for fear of thee; and I am afraid of thy judgments.

Psa_145:19 He will fulfil the desire of them that fear him: he also will hear their cry, and will save them.

Pro_3:7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

Pro_14:27 The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.

Pro_16:6 By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.

Pro_22:4 By humility and the fear of the LORD are riches, and honour, and life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seekertruth72

Apr 28, 2012
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You do realize that, by fear, "awe" is meant, not actual worriful terror or dred, yes?

Intersesting that you bring that up, i was just posting some 1 Peter scripture and noticed something. Its the fear of man that brings a snare and are a terror, to fear God is clean and endures forever, it brings peace and happiness not terror, because it causes us to depart from iniquity and that makes us happy, His grace and mercy is upon them that fear Him and there is no terror in Grace and mercy.. I fear God and this is wise. Fear doesn't mean only to awe God. It means just what is says, to fear Him. I'll bet if God showed up this day we would all get on our knees in fear.

1Pe 3:13 And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good?
1Pe 3:14 But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled;
1Pe 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Heb_12:28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Intersesting that you bring that up, i was just posting some 1 Peter scripture and noticed something. Its the fear of man that brings a snare and are a terror, to fear God is clean and endures forever, it brings peace and happiness not terror, because it causes us to depart from iniquity and that makes us happy, His grace is upon them that fear Him and there is no terror in Grace.. I fear God and this is wise. Fear doesn't mean only to awe God. It means just what is says, to fear Him. I'll bet if God showed up this day we would all get on our knees in fear.

Again, by "fear" is meant "awe."

I don't bend my knee(s) in genuflection at church out of terror, but awe and wonderment. When He comes again and I am resurrected, again, I won't genuflect out of terror or fear or dred, but awe, wonderment, and in acknowledgement of my Lord and God.

If we are motivated by fear, we have not yet grasped the very heart of Christianity. Christianity is not a Machiavellian faith.

Upvote 0