Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In a new study of President Obama’s legacy, the Pew Research Center found that religious affiliation and practice dropped off dramatically during his two terms in the White House.
“When it comes to the nation’s religious identity, the biggest trend during Obama’s presidency is the rise of those who claim no religion at all,” Pew notes in a report released this week titled “How America Changed During Barack Obama’s Presidency.”
When Barack Obama took office, those who identified as atheists or agnostics along with those who said their religion was “nothing in particular” totaled only 16 percent of the U.S. adult population. On leaving office 8 years later, the non-religious in America now make up nearly a quarter of the population.

On the contrary, the percentage of Americans who say they believe in God, consider religion to be very important in their lives, pray daily and attend religious services at least monthly have all dropped during the Obama years, Pew found.

America’s largest religious demographic, those who self-identify as Christians, plunged from 78 percent of the U.S. adult population to 71 percent 8 years later, and the majority of these losses taken place among adults who identify with mainline Protestantism and Catholicism......During his 8 years as president, Obama nettled religious conservatives over and over with moves that seemed calculated to undermine religious liberty.....
Pew Report: Religion Plummets in America During Obama Era

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
These trends have been under way for a long time and in my opinion are not linked to the Obama administration.

What I have observed is that a fairly large block of my fellow Christians have what could be called an entitlement mentality. For many centuries they have had things their own way and have controlled society to such an extent, that when minority groups started demanding and receiving rights that they had previously been denied, rights that Christians held all along, these same Christians felt threatened and claimed that they were being persecuted. This is what I believe has "nettled" religious conservatives. It is far easier to blame outside influences than to do the necessary soul searching to discover what the actual reasons might be.

Rights and freedoms are not part of a zero-sum game. Expanding them does not thereby reduce them for some other group. Extending the vote to women did not reduce the rights of men in society. In reality Christians have lost no rights and are not threatened in any meaningful way.

• Agree
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
religious affiliation and practice dropped off dramatically

Um, you know that this has been going on for a long time, right? So Ronald Reagan is to blame?

usa-religion-trends-gallup.gif

In fact, this has been going on around the world, in all western nations, since around 1950. So Obama is to blame for the religion in the whole world, including what happened before he was born?

500px-AustralianReligiousAffiliation_2.svg.png

Call me crazy, but it sounds to me like you think Obama was much, much more influential than he could have been.

In Christ-

Papias

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Um, you know that this has been going on for a long time, right? So Ronald Reagan is to blame?

usa-religion-trends-gallup.gif

In fact, this has been going on around the world, in all western nations, since around 1950. So Obama is to blame for the religion in the whole world, including what happened before he was born?

500px-AustralianReligiousAffiliation_2.svg.png

Call me crazy, but it sounds to me like you think Obama was much, much more influential than he could have been.

In Christ-

Papias

Barna mentioned the decline in their after election survey:
https://www.barna.com/research/notional-christians-big-election-story-2016/

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In a new study of President Obama’s legacy, the Pew Research Center found that religious affiliation and practice dropped off dramatically during his two terms in the White House.
“When it comes to the nation’s religious identity, the biggest trend during Obama’s presidency is the rise of those who claim no religion at all,” Pew notes in a report released this week titled “How America Changed During Barack Obama’s Presidency.”
When Barack Obama took office, those who identified as atheists or agnostics along with those who said their religion was “nothing in particular” totaled only 16 percent of the U.S. adult population. On leaving office 8 years later, the non-religious in America now make up nearly a quarter of the population.

On the contrary, the percentage of Americans who say they believe in God, consider religion to be very important in their lives, pray daily and attend religious services at least monthly have all dropped during the Obama years, Pew found.

America’s largest religious demographic, those who self-identify as Christians, plunged from 78 percent of the U.S. adult population to 71 percent 8 years later, and the majority of these losses taken place among adults who identify with mainline Protestantism and Catholicism......During his 8 years as president, Obama nettled religious conservatives over and over with moves that seemed calculated to undermine religious liberty.....

The only influence, IMO, Obama had on Christians was:

1. To further move conservative Christians who were Democrats away from that party for good. The fact the Sisters of the Poor had to hire lawyers to prevent mandatory contraceptives did some damage to Obama's party. I know many Catholics are livid about this.

2. He actually did Christianity a favor IMO. He helped Christians examine their churches and pastors. When Obama decided to tinker with whether the Fed.gov could address leader roles in churches and church hiring, many got to see what their pastors and priests were made of.

3. This one is not something Obama did but what many churches did while Obama was president. These churches exposed themselves as social justice clubs devoid of preaching the Gospel.

So I don't think the decline is in Obama's court. What's going on then? People are following strange doctrines, forgot what the Gospel truly is (Luke 24; 1 Corinthians 15), and following the god of government and consumerism as their path.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Barna research is most interesting but it still does not answer the question of why strong Christians would so avidly support a candidate with a background such as Donald Trump. It is as if they were voting against their own beliefs.
The explanation for that seems to be along the lines of "We're electing a President, not a Pastor". Not that this really holds any water, but there it is.

-

Upvote 0

dude99

Apr 12, 2014
✟40,407.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Thought that people had become less religious around the world? I live in Canada & Christianity has been declining for a while.
Sure countries such as the US and Canada have become less Christian in society, even so Christianity is not declining in Asia and Africa.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Sure countries such as the US and Canada have become less Christian in society, even so Christianity is not declining in Asia and Africa.

Australia & a lot of European countries have become less religious too.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
End time prophecy

2 Thessalonians 2:3
Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

Would you agree that Christians are falling away?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Some have speculated in the US, it is due to the 9/11 attacks. For a while, it gave a temporary boost to church attendance, but in the long term it may have lead millennials growing up with an image of all religion being prone to fanaticism.

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
End time prophecy

2 Thessalonians 2:3
Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

Would you agree that Christians are falling away?

Christians are falling away in America and Europe, but are increasing in Asia and Africa. So you are saying that the rapture and anti-christ are about to happen in America and Europe, but that Africa and Asia will enter a time warp, where it won't happen for them?

Some have speculated in the US, it is due to the 9/11 attacks. For a while, it gave a temporary boost to church attendance, but in the long term it may have lead millennials growing up with an image of all religion being prone to fanaticism.

Did you not read the posts above? Did you see the data in post #5? So 9/11 happened in 1950? Was that Marty McFly in one of those planes?

-Papias

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
a note to those interested...you have only a few more days to blame obama so get in while the gettins' good...
Well not really. The precedent has been set. We can blame Obama for the next eight years, just as he has blamed W for that long (not that I've been keeping track).

Upvote 0

Aryeh

Dec 4, 2016
Los Angeles
✟21,820.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Remember, these reports are statistical data - meaning sample space and classification is important.

Also, "religion" is marginally defined. I personally despise religion, and think it is a recipe for a true apostate. I also wasn't polled. Some people think religion means believing in God - especially the Judeo-Christian God. Other people think religion is football.

So, the framing of the question is skewed.

I wouldn't draw anything from this article in terms of blaming Obama. The entire world is becoming done with religion, especially with what has been, and is being done in its name. Mere association to religion has become repulsive on principle.

In the States, religion is synonymous with sports for many, and if you want a "religious experience" at a church, you will likely get a lot of things - except the Word of God.

If there was any Christian title that dissociated me from denomination even more, I would choose that. That wasn't Obama; in fact, I personally got close to God during that time. Again, I wasnt polled (and, I also never voted for Obama.)

People are moving away from religion in America because the veil is being lifted. Once full disclosure of what "religion" happens, it will be a consequence that there will be a falling away.

Upvote 0