Feb 24, 2012
✟7,683.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What are your thoughts on religion being used in video games? Note: I'm not necessarily referring to Christianity. For the sake of discussion, this thread is about whether or not religion is being portrayed as edifying or not.

Religion in games comes in various shapes and sizes. In fantasy games, there is typically a heavy emphasis on pantheism and duality, sometimes mixed together in Catholic imagery trappings (Oblivion). There is typically a heavy emphasis on Eastern philosophies, but that is to be expected as there's a going trend in the West about how Christianity supposedly 'failed' society. Some IPs that do have religion references fail to neglect them entirely (most Jedi-focused Star Wars games). But, very rarely, religion is either very overt or important to the character. Examples here would include the Hitman series (character is overtly Catholic) or Half-Life 2 which has an Orthodox church and Orthodox priest (sort of) mentioned. Half-Life 2's inclusion of an Orthodox church in "Lost Coast" is understandable considering the artistic director is Russian (even if its missing its iconostasis).

It does frustrate me at times that Christianity isn't protrayed more overtly. I believe, in most Assassins' Creed games, the character is a non-Christian. Other games that would, realistically, have Christians in it, are downplayed or neglected, or mocked entirely (many fictional or alternative reality RPGs).

Anyways, what are your thoughts?

GrizzlyMonKeH

Chemical Engineering Undergraduate
Jul 23, 2012
Iowa State University
✟8,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Religion is something that all players can relate to since it has such a prominent role in society.

I would personally rather not have Christianity portrayed by game developers. They will misrepresent it, just as Hollywood often does.

Upvote 0
S

shelpeare

I think religion in games would be great if the Game producers got the story right. In fact there is a lot of religion in games but it is very covert. It is usually about the other side - not God's side. When you read the storyline and see the images you realize "Hey, this is from the Bible but it's a tainted version. Runescape is a perfect example of that. The whole storyline is based on a covert, mangled version of Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most games are based around the object of struggle. I mean, who wants to play a game that is based around a time of peace? And let's face it, throughout the history of Christianity, there has always been darkness and secrets hidden deep below the surface, especially where the Catholic church is concerned. Even in Biblical days there was war, rape, murder, etc. These games are simply being true to the nature of religion.

Upvote 0