United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Lady Kate said:
Then what was the point of using the parable of the sower? You seem to think that at most, half the seeds will sprout... What makes you so pessimistic about your Christian bretheren?
First of all you claimed that I was rejecting half the people who call themselves Christians. I haven't rejected anyone! My point was that Jesus himself says, on more than one occasion, that few who call themselves the elect actually are. Why should we pretend otherwise?

So yes, that's right, at best half the seed will sprout...yet this isn't me being pessimistic it is Jesus telling us how it will be.

Upvote 0
T

The Lady Kate

vossler said:
First of all you claimed that I was rejecting half the people who call themselves Christians. I haven't rejected anyone! My point was that Jesus himself says, on more than one occasion, that few who call themselves the elect actually are. Why should we pretend otherwise?

So you reject half... because that's your take on the parable of the sower. And that includes half the scientific community.

So yes, that's right, at best half the seed will sprout...yet this isn't me being pessimistic it is Jesus telling us how it will be.

So, based on your interpretation of Jesus' words, you believe at at the best, only half the people who call themselves Christians actually are. Is that about right?

Upvote 0

vossler

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2004
Asheville NC
✟19,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Lady Kate said:
So you reject half... because that's your take on the parable of the sower. And that includes half the scientific community.
Why do you use the word reject, I don't reject anyone and Jesus doesn't either. So please modify your statements accordingly.
The Lady Kate said:
So, based on your interpretation of Jesus' words, you believe at at the best, only half the people who call themselves Christians actually are. Is that about right?
I won't come out and say as you did "at the best", but half is a close approximation. This is clearly shown in Scripture to be true.

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟18,881.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just what are you guys here trying to PROVE?? I can't see a single bit of good coming out of this constant dogfighting. I'm not qualified to say who's right and who's wrong, but I think I know a useless discussion that has been stretched far longer than it deserves to be when I see one.

(rant over. go on fighting if you want - I've said my piece.)

Upvote 0
T

The Lady Kate

shernren said:
Just what are you guys here trying to PROVE?? I can't see a single bit of good coming out of this constant dogfighting. I'm not qualified to say who's right and who's wrong, but I think I know a useless discussion that has been stretched far longer than it deserves to be when I see one.

(rant over. go on fighting if you want - I've said my piece.)

I fear I must agree... this is going nowhere, and I've already spent far too much time arguing trivialities.

I am still at a loss to understand what the point of this thread was, or what the OP proposes to be done about it, and I am past the point of caring.

(rant over... as is, I would pray, my involvement in this train wreck.)

Upvote 0

Numenor

Veteran
Dec 26, 2004
The United Kingdom
Visit site
✟1,894.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
The Lady Kate said:
I am still at a loss to understand what the point of this thread was, or what the OP proposes to be done about it, and I am past the point of caring.
The point of this thread was for vossler to tar the scientific community as atheistic/anti-God because it doesn't employ a super-naturalistic methodology and because they don't live up to his hypocritical double-standard ie. he can witness in actions and deeds but they have to include a gospel statement in every paper they write. Nothing less will suffice otherwise they are obviously ashamed of Christ.

Oh, and so that he could promote his health-and-wealth gospel.

Upvote 0

vossler

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2004
Asheville NC
✟19,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Numenor said:
The point of this thread was for vossler to tar the scientific community as atheistic/anti-God because it doesn't employ a super-naturalistic methodology and because they don't live up to his hypocritical double-standard ie. he can witness in actions and deeds but they have to include a gospel statement in every paper they write. Nothing less will suffice otherwise they are obviously ashamed of Christ.

Oh, and so that he could promote his health-and-wealth gospel.
Why do you wish to bait me? You have this habit of trying to put words into my mouth; I don't know maybe you think I'm asking for your help or something. :scratch: That's o.k. I won't respond in kind.

Given some of your previous responses I guess this is no surprise.

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
vossler said:
Why do you wish to bait me? You have this habit of trying to put words into my mouth; I don't know maybe you think I'm asking for your help or something. :scratch: That's o.k. I won't respond in kind.

He's got a point. Baiting your opponent doesn't do much good when your opponent's argument hasn't got any teeth.

Upvote 0

KerrMetric

Oct 2, 2005
Pasadena, CA
✟6,671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
vossler said:

Is what he posted wrong, and if so why?

Upvote 0

Scholar in training

sine ira et studio
Feb 25, 2005
United States
✟15,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
chaoschristian said:
The problem is that 90% of the world's population can't get leprosy, and it is not a very contagious disease. It is in fact rather hard to get, as opposed to small pox.

The point being that the prejudice against these 'spiritually unclean' people prevented others from investigating the real nature of the disease. And so lepers needlessly suffered outside of the effects of their disease because of religiously motivated thinking.
The "separation" in view here has to do with ritual purity, not prejudice. If you value the objectivity of the scientific method, then why are you anachronizing and looking at the text with your own bigoted 21st century values instead of looking at it in the way the ancients would have?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.