Relationship Advice..I don't know what to do

lovetogarden

Mar 31, 2005
✟617.00
Faith
Catholic
To quote the Bonnie Rait song, 'you can't make someone love you when he don't.' My advice, leave it alone and trust in God that He knows best. Too many times I've seen people force themselves on someone to make them love them and it always ends badly. It seems you already mastered being alone and not being lonely. You probably have a full life with plenty of interests. Don't worry, whatever happens is for the best. I should know. I was once like you. I pined for someone who called it quits. Thought about that person for years. But when he said it was over, it was over. I never bothered him again. A few years ago I ran into him after over 20 years. While it was a polite meeting with an exchange of a few pleasantries, I came away saying to myself, "Thank you God for saving me from making a mistake." Not that he was a bad guy mind you. He was still handsome and very successful. But I could see clearly that he was on a whole different path in life than I was which would no doubt have led to a lot of friction and a divorce if we married. So take it easy. It is nothing you did. If it is meant to be you will meet someone again, more than likely when you least expect it. Of that I have no doubt. Just have faith that God knows best.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for reading. But that's not really what I meant. Yes Christ above all is the one thing I can't live without but I was speaking in terms of my future wife/family/spouse the person that's next to me whenever and wherever
Those were very strong words in your OP. So are you saying you are able to have a future that does not include her in terms of a wife/family/spouse now?

Look at the whole situation from a different angle. What if this is one of those big life lessons. Superimpose your situation into Mark 10:21 'And Jesus looking upon you loves you, and said, One thing thou lackest: go, give up this girlfriend and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.'?

Basically can you see yourself having a productive Christian life without this person?

Upvote 0

StephenW

Apr 14, 2011
✟15,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi David,
I like your name, my brother's name was also David.

My name is my name is Stephen. I am 65 years old. I have been happily married to the same woman for 27 years. During that time I went through twelve years of counseling to get my thinking corrected. That is one of the biggest things that helped me to have a long-standing happy marriage. I say all of that to let you know that I do know a little about maintaining healthy relationships.

I can certainly sympathize with you about losing your girlfriend. That must be so painful. I am very sorry.

However, you need to listen carefully to what I have to say. You said that you do not want to lose your girlfriend. The truth is you have already lost her, she is gone. If you say that you do love her you need to honor her decision. If you keep pressing her to change your mind you can be arrested for stalking. You need to leave her alone.

You said that she gave you multiple chances. You disregarded them all. You said that you tried to change , however, trying to change is not really changing. Only genuinely changing is changing. If you really want to change you should go into counseling and be real with the counselor. A qualified counselor can help you to genuinely change, but it is a lot of hard work.

We come into this world as very immature beings. Just because our bodies grow up does not mean that our minds have matured. I know that it is a very hard thing to think of oneself being immature . However, I irecognize immaturity as I also was once immature . But that is another topic.

David, I would strongly suggest that you leave your ex girlfriend alone and move on. In your next relationship, hopefully, you might take your part of the relationship more seriously.
In the meantime take some time to analyze why your relationship failed. Take a look at what she said and honestly look at how you acted towards her. Do not blame her, rather look at your own thinking and behavior. If you can be honest enough to see your own failures then you can work on overcoming them. Then, hopefully, you will not make those same mistakes again.
David, I know that you must be in a lot of pain right now. I have also been through some very painful times in my life. I can certainly relate to what you are going through. The pain will lessen with time. I wish you all the best in your future.
Warm regards,
Stephen

• Agree
Reactions: GirdYourLoins
Upvote 0

Paul uk

Dec 11, 2016
UK
✟17,862.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Hi I'm David,
I'm the type of person who does a lot of things alone (qt/praying/many other things) and don't speak much, the quiet type...

When she mentioned these things I would just always say "hey I'll do better, I'll communicate better and share more that's on my mine" to assure her that it will change...

Each time we talk there were little improvements but looking back now I can't say that I did give a 100% when I should have.
Hi David,
Although you find it hard to talk about things that are on your heart, it's obvious from your posts that you nevertheless 'feel' them. You are very articulate when you write. Have you considered penning her a letter? It may sound old-fashioned but if one problem she has is the suspicion that you somehow lack feelings, due to not articulating them well, a thoughtful letter from you will put her straight on that.

Upvote 0

overcomer

AKA 'OntheDL'
Mar 25, 2004
✟13,696.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi David,

Sorry for the situation you are in. I feel you pain.

I'm not an expert on relationships. But for some reason, women are more mature than men. That's are not an excuse. It just means us 'men' have a lot of learning and growing to do. If you are in a relationship, but having to 'talk' every so often, then something is wrong. Like others already said trying to change is not the same as changing.

You can't ask her to try to change you. She has to accept you for what you are. But you have to ask yourself the question, are you the person you are happy with? Are you the person you know God wants to be?

If the answer is no, you have to focus on working on yourself. I'm sure you've heard that all love is based on the love of God first. We all fall short and slide back. But are you on a path that would lead you to closer relationship with God?

God puts people in our path, but we have our choices with what's given to us. If you really love this woman, then let her be happy. Maybe it be without you or with someone else. You've had your chances. At this point, your relationship is no longer in your control. I'd say it's better for you to move on and focus on yourself, your own salvation.

Just be the best person you can be and you will meet a person (her so someone else) who is happy with who you are.

Upvote 0

bobharms

Dec 7, 2016
Wisconsin
✟16,991.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi I'm David,
Earlier this week my girlfriend of 2+ years asked to talk to me and called it quits. I don't know how to feel right now cause our relationship was/is great. Our compatibility up there on top of the chart, we have fun, love each other and individually our relationship with God is on the right track. We rarely fight or argue but during the two year span, we've had or rather she would ask to talk once every few months about our relationship. I'm the type of person who does a lot of things alone (qt/praying/many other things) and don't speak much, the quiet type. So during those talks she was not happy and upset that as two people who are in a serious relationship and both who are thinking about the future towards marriage we don't talk about our faith and lack communication in that area. She's been wanting to do marriage counseling from our church leaders and pastor, not in the tradition sense but so that we can communicate and share more openly about our faith. At first I didn't want to but evenly our young adults pastor felt compelled cause he saw us and knew that we felt serious and strongly about this relationship so he asked to marriage counseling before we even said anything to anyone. The most important thing that she values from her partner is where his faith is, how spiritual he is and how well he is in tune with God. I knew this from the start and I was confident enough to start this relationship with her so that both of us can grow stronger and more intimate with God. When she mentioned these things I would just always say "hey I'll do better, I'll communicate better and share more that's on my mine" to assure her that it will change. This same "let's talk" would arise once every couple/few months not because I wasn't sharing at all or just not owning up to my word but because it seemed like the bare minimum to her and because I'm not giving it a 100%. Don't get me wrong, I was doing more. Each time we talk there were little improvements but looking back now I can't say that I did give a 100% when I should have. I thought what I was doing and how I was approaching the situation was enough. Two years she waited and was patient with me, I understand how frustrating that can be. But I'm someone who never shares unless I'm force to, even in group settings, whether it's in small groups at church, I'm just not very good at sharing and don't prefer sharing my thoughts. So I was a little upset that she didn't take the small changes in my with that in mind. Then another one of these "let's talk" came about and she said let's talk in a week (since i was away from her half the time and she wanted give me some time to think and pray as well). Initially, you know waiting a week to tackle the problem seemed ridiculous and unfair to me because I was curious what she wanted to talk about this time cause things were going well (in my mind). During the "wait week", when texting each other she just didn't seem like herself (mind that we spoke and kept in touch 24/7 and just text whenever even if we had absolutely nothing to talk about), she just seemed like a shell of herself. So half the "wait week" we did talk but I knew something was wrong cause she's never been like this to the point where she couldn't even talk to normally, it just seemed like she was forcing herself to talk to me. So me going crazy wanted to know what was going on through text/phone but she insisted that we just talk in person when I'm back and when we're both free to talk in person. Which leads back to earlier this week when she wanted to part ways. I had time to pray and think about our relationship and through praying I was convinced that our source was the foundation on which we built/start this relationship. We both wanted to build a relationship centered around God yet we lost track of that and became caught up in the worldly/culture aspect in the relationship. So during during the other times when I said "hey things will get better cause I'll try harder to express myself and show my faith more," I wasn't lying but just taking the wrong approach and just tried to build on the wrong foundation. So on the day of the talk she just said that she's just tired and is drained of this relationship because the one thing (level of faith and the spiritual aspect) she needs she doesn't really see and change and tells me that she can't really see herself with me as a potential spouse. Of course I was devastated cause I was a point where I could really see myself with this person and to ask her to be my life partner was right here/there (I was looking at rings/houses and ready to speak to her parents' permission for marriage). I explained to her that during the "wait week" where I prayed and really thought about our relationship I believed that our foundation was the problem and she explains that yes that's true and that she's been saying let's do something about it this entire time for the past 2 years yet nothing's really been done about it. I told her that okay I get it clearly now so let's try to work this out and build a renewed foundation centered around what we wanted from the beginning cause even broken things can be a blessing if mended by God but she just said no and that she's be draining and that she is completely drained now to give me another chance. I understood her and didn't understand her because I wanted her give me another chance where the things she wanted didn't have to be squeezed/forced out of me and that they comes out naturally if our foundation is rebuilt but she said it's too late and it's been 2 years at that she can't do this anymore or have the desire to do this with me. She also mentioned that her color of faith is different from mine. She explained that her desire in this relationship was dissolving quickly and the only thing was keeping it was to think back to the beginning of the relationship and how she felt for me. I've asked multiple times and asked to let's try this again cause she is the person for me in every way and I just blew it. I asked to talk the following day and asked again and again to give me one last chance to make this relationship work so that but she said she doesn't want to and doesn't have any desire to be in a relationship with me. It's never that I didn't listen to her, it just took over and over several times for me to clearly take the right approach to this situation....but now it's too late.

I don't know what to do. I know it's my fault that it lead to this point. I couldn't see that she was so drained, that she was on her last straw. I was too slow to listen and too quick to talk and become angry when it should have been the other way around. I blame myself for losing the girl of my dreams right now. I know that God made this relationship possible from the start (that another story in itself) and that God has a reason for all these things but I don't know what to do. I can't blame anyone but myself cause I didn't give a 100%. It was too late when I, myself saw the clear picture. I don't want to lose her. I didn't know being too quiet/not sharing a lot can show my faith/spiritual level, I thought it was more character based and maybe that what she means when she says "we have a different color of faith." I don't want this to be the end of our story cause I can't see my future without her in it. She's very certain on her decision, that she doesn't want a relationship with me. Is there anything I can do? What should I do? What can I do to possibly spark that fire between us again and for her to give it shot again, one last time? I want this relationship and want to make it work, where I know the problem and where I can give all I have.

Thank you for reading my current situation and I'm apologize if it was hard to understand what I just wrote. Please let me know if I can clarify anything for you. Thank you again.
Two years is a long time to get to this point, but many never bother to commit at all. So, in terms of commitment 2 years is no time at all. We are not talking about feelings here, and to not understand what has been going on for two years, well, that gets to the problem. Your girl friend has realized she can't commit to you. I am not sure of your level of commitment. When matters of the heart are involved feelings and emotion get in the way. A commitment to marry is an eternal supernatural event. You commit to love ... Love becomes a commitment with your vows spoken in place public....in sickness and in health till death do us part....Marriage is engaged for family, and from generation to generation the seal of love should prevail through commitment. Your children will be counting on that...I can love all the women of our church, but I can only commit to my wife the intimate relationship of of the love peculiar to us. Therein lies the sanctity of marriage honored and cherished by God Holy matrimony. Yeah, it is all about commitment, and you need to understand before you are married....

Upvote 0

heathorheather

Jan 17, 2017
Virginia
✟9,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Right, but it seems that she has made her choice. If the relationship was too much for her, she has the right to move on. I would also advise some individual counseling for yourself. Ended relationships in which we have invested a lot are hard to just get over. It doesn't hurt to get Biblical counsel from a wise person. 2 years from now, you don't want to be the guy still hanging on and waiting for this girl when she has moved on. That's not healthy. If it's meant to be, God will bring her back into your life, but there's not much you can do if for now she has made her choice.

The only thing I can do is to take the whole thing and place it into the hands of the Lord

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi I'm David,
Earlier this week my girlfriend of 2+ years asked to talk to me and called it quits. I don't know how to feel right now cause our relationship was/is great. Our compatibility up there on top of the chart, we have fun, love each other and individually our relationship with God is on the right track. We rarely fight or argue but during the two year span, we've had or rather she would ask to talk once every few months about our relationship. I'm the type of person who does a lot of things alone (qt/praying/many other things) and don't speak much, the quiet type. So during those talks she was not happy and upset that as two people who are in a serious relationship and both who are thinking about the future towards marriage we don't talk about our faith and lack communication in that area. She's been wanting to do marriage counseling from our church leaders and pastor, not in the tradition sense but so that we can communicate and share more openly about our faith. At first I didn't want to but evenly our young adults pastor felt compelled cause he saw us and knew that we felt serious and strongly about this relationship so he asked to marriage counseling before we even said anything to anyone. The most important thing that she values from her partner is where his faith is, how spiritual he is and how well he is in tune with God. I knew this from the start and I was confident enough to start this relationship with her so that both of us can grow stronger and more intimate with God. When she mentioned these things I would just always say "hey I'll do better, I'll communicate better and share more that's on my mine" to assure her that it will change. This same "let's talk" would arise once every couple/few months not because I wasn't sharing at all or just not owning up to my word but because it seemed like the bare minimum to her and because I'm not giving it a 100%. Don't get me wrong, I was doing more. Each time we talk there were little improvements but looking back now I can't say that I did give a 100% when I should have. I thought what I was doing and how I was approaching the situation was enough. Two years she waited and was patient with me, I understand how frustrating that can be. But I'm someone who never shares unless I'm force to, even in group settings, whether it's in small groups at church, I'm just not very good at sharing and don't prefer sharing my thoughts. So I was a little upset that she didn't take the small changes in my with that in mind. Then another one of these "let's talk" came about and she said let's talk in a week (since i was away from her half the time and she wanted give me some time to think and pray as well). Initially, you know waiting a week to tackle the problem seemed ridiculous and unfair to me because I was curious what she wanted to talk about this time cause things were going well (in my mind). During the "wait week", when texting each other she just didn't seem like herself (mind that we spoke and kept in touch 24/7 and just text whenever even if we had absolutely nothing to talk about), she just seemed like a shell of herself. So half the "wait week" we did talk but I knew something was wrong cause she's never been like this to the point where she couldn't even talk to normally, it just seemed like she was forcing herself to talk to me. So me going crazy wanted to know what was going on through text/phone but she insisted that we just talk in person when I'm back and when we're both free to talk in person. Which leads back to earlier this week when she wanted to part ways. I had time to pray and think about our relationship and through praying I was convinced that our source was the foundation on which we built/start this relationship. We both wanted to build a relationship centered around God yet we lost track of that and became caught up in the worldly/culture aspect in the relationship. So during during the other times when I said "hey things will get better cause I'll try harder to express myself and show my faith more," I wasn't lying but just taking the wrong approach and just tried to build on the wrong foundation. So on the day of the talk she just said that she's just tired and is drained of this relationship because the one thing (level of faith and the spiritual aspect) she needs she doesn't really see and change and tells me that she can't really see herself with me as a potential spouse. Of course I was devastated cause I was a point where I could really see myself with this person and to ask her to be my life partner was right here/there (I was looking at rings/houses and ready to speak to her parents' permission for marriage). I explained to her that during the "wait week" where I prayed and really thought about our relationship I believed that our foundation was the problem and she explains that yes that's true and that she's been saying let's do something about it this entire time for the past 2 years yet nothing's really been done about it. I told her that okay I get it clearly now so let's try to work this out and build a renewed foundation centered around what we wanted from the beginning cause even broken things can be a blessing if mended by God but she just said no and that she's be draining and that she is completely drained now to give me another chance. I understood her and didn't understand her because I wanted her give me another chance where the things she wanted didn't have to be squeezed/forced out of me and that they comes out naturally if our foundation is rebuilt but she said it's too late and it's been 2 years at that she can't do this anymore or have the desire to do this with me. She also mentioned that her color of faith is different from mine. She explained that her desire in this relationship was dissolving quickly and the only thing was keeping it was to think back to the beginning of the relationship and how she felt for me. I've asked multiple times and asked to let's try this again cause she is the person for me in every way and I just blew it. I asked to talk the following day and asked again and again to give me one last chance to make this relationship work so that but she said she doesn't want to and doesn't have any desire to be in a relationship with me. It's never that I didn't listen to her, it just took over and over several times for me to clearly take the right approach to this situation....but now it's too late.

I don't know what to do. I know it's my fault that it lead to this point. I couldn't see that she was so drained, that she was on her last straw. I was too slow to listen and too quick to talk and become angry when it should have been the other way around. I blame myself for losing the girl of my dreams right now. I know that God made this relationship possible from the start (that another story in itself) and that God has a reason for all these things but I don't know what to do. I can't blame anyone but myself cause I didn't give a 100%. It was too late when I, myself saw the clear picture. I don't want to lose her. I didn't know being too quiet/not sharing a lot can show my faith/spiritual level, I thought it was more character based and maybe that what she means when she says "we have a different color of faith." I don't want this to be the end of our story cause I can't see my future without her in it. She's very certain on her decision, that she doesn't want a relationship with me. Is there anything I can do? What should I do? What can I do to possibly spark that fire between us again and for her to give it shot again, one last time? I want this relationship and want to make it work, where I know the problem and where I can give all I have.

Thank you for reading my current situation and I'm apologize if it was hard to understand what I just wrote. Please let me know if I can clarify anything for you. Thank you again.
A long term girlfriend broke up with me ten years ago after it became obvious I was not going to give her enough support. I tried to keep the relationship going until she asked me to never call her again several times. I have not called her since.

Upvote 0

heathorheather

Jan 17, 2017
Virginia
✟9,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi David,

Sorry for the situation you are in. I feel you pain.

I'm not an expert on relationships. But for some reason, women are more mature than men. That's are not an excuse. It just means us 'men' have a lot of learning and growing to do. If you are in a relationship, but having to 'talk' every so often, then something is wrong. Like others already said trying to change is not the same as changing.

You can't ask her to try to change you. She has to accept you for what you are. But you have to ask yourself the question, are you the person you are happy with? Are you the person you know God wants to be?

If the answer is no, you have to focus on working on yourself. I'm sure you've heard that all love is based on the love of God first. We all fall short and slide back. But are you on a path that would lead you to closer relationship with God?

God puts people in our path, but we have our choices with what's given to us. If you really love this woman, then let her be happy. Maybe it be without you or with someone else. You've had your chances. At this point, your relationship is no longer in your control. I'd say it's better for you to move on and focus on yourself, your own salvation.

Just be the best person you can be and you will meet a person (her so someone else) who is happy with who you are.

Hi and thank you for reading. I've never asked her to change me and she has accepted me for who I am and she made that clear. It's not that I didn't want to share or communicate cause I knew those things were important and wanted them for myself. Yes I'm happy with myself before and during the relationship and my relationship with God isn't based on her or anybody else. Like I said before we both wanted the same thing, the same relationship with God where we grow together in Him. It's not like I just changed who I was to be with her, it wasn't like that. When she asked let's do this and that more completely agreed with her but somehow one way or another I was doing it alone. Not saying she wasn't doing anything but we weren't doing it together, where we pray together, where we talk about the message or struggles and how we can use God in those times..etc. And while I thought I was bettering myself, not because she asked/made me, but because I wanted to, nothing was being shared, thoughts, feelings..etc and by the time I realized that it was our foundation that we needed to tackle and not keep piling onto the previous ground she just got drained and tired. The things that she's wanting and needing is something that I am..it just took long to realized that.

Upvote 0

heathorheather

Jan 17, 2017
Virginia
✟9,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
A long term girlfriend broke up with me ten years ago after it became obvious I was not going to give her enough support. I tried to keep the relationship going until she asked me to never call her again several times. I have not called her since.

Thank you for reading. Support in terms of similar to my situation? It's not that I can't give her support or didn't want to. I just did approached it incorrectly and didn't find the root of our problem

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think the OP needs to come to the realization that in his gf eyes, he was not doing enough. That the OP kept making small little changes when it was necessary, but it did not seem to be enough and she was communicating that to you by constantly asking you to do better. You need to 'own' your part in the problem, I think you already have but if you have not, that is step 1. Because otherwise you may get her back just to loose her again. You need to be ready to make a BIG change in yourself and I think you may thank her for that someday.

BTW, welcome to CF! :wave:

I'm not sure how into the Bible you are, but the Bible does say that the man is the head of the household for making the close decisions and spiritually. A man will account to God for the spirituality of his wife and children. He is to lead in things of God and Christ.

You should desire to prepare yourself for this important role. God takes it seriously.

If you gf will not take you back, you may want to ask her if you can still be friends and ask her if she will let you show her you have changed. Sometimes we do not believe someone's words if they tell us something, but if she see's you changing for God, yourself and her, she may give you one more try.

Be blessed.

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As others have said, you need to leave her alone. It sounds quite clear that she has given you 2 years, but you are not the person to provide the companionship she needs/wants. It sounds like said she wants someone who opens up more and wants someone to be there all the time, but you want to do your own thing and be there part of the time. You are just incompatible and it has taken her 2 years of what sounds like growing frustration with repeated attempts to try to get what she wants from you. I suspect that the pastor who approached you to give marriage counselling may have done so after speaking to her, possibly as a last chance to try to get you to change. I also suspect that she may have wanted to get married before now but you left it too long. Assuming you are good Christians and have not consummated the relationship, this may have been another cause of frustration for someone with stronger desires in this area.

If you continually chase her it will just be more of what you have been doing for 2 years, which is not listening to her. Every few months she has talked to you about changing and it hasnt really happened. You are who you are. You said that she is completely drained from your 2 years together. I have known other people who have said that people drain them to me and I have had non-romantic relationships (work mainly) with people who made me feel like that. Every one of us has found that once you reach that point even just seeing the person without even talking to them can make you feel completely drained again.

I would suggest you say to her that it does hurt you to break up, but you respect her wishes and want her to be free to move on as she desires. I would also suggest you try to find someone who is able to accept you for who you are and who you are more compatible with and let her do the same. If you did both try to force it and get married there is a possibility the same draining and frustration could happen later on. It may be better to move on now.

Upvote 0

heathorheather

Jan 17, 2017
Virginia
✟9,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think the OP needs to come to the realization that in his gf eyes, he was not doing enough. That the OP kept making small little changes when it was necessary, but it did not seem to be enough and she was communicating that to you by constantly asking you to do better. You need to 'own' your part in the problem, I think you already have but if you have not, that is step 1. Because otherwise you may get her back just to loose her again. You need to be ready to make a BIG change in yourself and I think you may thank her for that someday.

BTW, welcome to CF! :wave:

I'm not sure how into the Bible you are, but the Bible does say that the man is the head of the household for making the close decisions and spiritually. A man will account to God for the spirituality of his wife and children. He is to lead in things of God and Christ.

You should desire to prepare yourself for this important role. God takes it seriously.

If you gf will not take you back, you may want to ask her if you can still be friends and ask her if she will let you show her you have changed. Sometimes we do not believe someone's words if they tell us something, but if she see's you changing for God, yourself and her, she may give you one more try.

Be blessed.

Hi and thank you for reading my story. Yes I completely agree and know that a man is the head of the household and that the man is accountable for the spirituality of his wife and children. I also know that I need to grow out of this keeping everything to myself and not opening up. Being introverted is just an excuse and I don't apply that to myself. So yes I should have been the one accountable. But now that I actually woke up rather than pressing the snooze button she left. I know that God gives you pain so that you may learn. I just don't want my "slowness" "blindness" to miss out on what God has given me. God gives and takes away when it's necessary. I remember this one sermon where the speaker used this metaphor. "God answers you, he opens doors for you but if you don't go through the door you can't blame anyone but yourself. The opportunities are given and provided but you chose not to do anything about it." So that also in mind all I can ask is for forgiveness and repent and allow his desires to be mine as well.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi and thank you for reading my story. Yes I completely agree and know that a man is the head of the household and that the man is accountable for the spirituality of his wife and children. I also know that I need to grow out of this keeping everything to myself and not opening up. Being introverted is just an excuse and I don't apply that to myself. So yes I should have been the one accountable. But now that I actually woke up rather than pressing the snooze button she left. I know that God gives you pain so that you may learn. I just don't want my "slowness" "blindness" to miss out on what God has given me. God gives and takes away when it's necessary. I remember this one sermon where the speaker used this metaphor. "God answers you, he opens doors for you but if you don't go through the door you can't blame anyone but yourself. The opportunities are given and provided but you chose not to do anything about it." So that also in mind all I can ask is for forgiveness and repent and allow his desires to be mine as well.
If she will talk to you, you can ask her to pray with you and for you.

Couples praying together or even two people is powerful stuff.

Maybe she needs to hear you praying outloud (with her) like "Lord I know that I have been lax spiritually and that your calling upon me is that I am a man after your own Son. To become more like Him with each passing day. Help me to see the important calling that you place upon me, now and in the future. To understand through prayer, worship and Your Word how to change and how to continue growing."

Just come deeply from the heart.

Upvote 0

heathorheather

Jan 17, 2017
Virginia
✟9,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
As others have said, you need to leave her alone. It sounds quite clear that she has given you 2 years, but you are not the person to provide the companionship she needs/wants. It sounds like said she wants someone who opens up more and wants someone to be there all the time, but you want to do your own thing and be there part of the time. You are just incompatible and it has taken her 2 years of what sounds like growing frustration with repeated attempts to try to get what she wants from you. I suspect that the pastor who approached you to give marriage counselling may have done so after speaking to her, possibly as a last chance to try to get you to change. I also suspect that she may have wanted to get married before now but you left it too long. Assuming you are good Christians and have not consummated the relationship, this may have been another cause of frustration for someone with stronger desires in this area.

If you continually chase her it will just be more of what you have been doing for 2 years, which is not listening to her. Every few months she has talked to you about changing and it hasnt really happened. You are who you are. You said that she is completely drained from your 2 years together. I have known other people who have said that people drain them to me and I have had non-romantic relationships (work mainly) with people who made me feel like that. Every one of us has found that once you reach that point even just seeing the person without even talking to them can make you feel completely drained again.

I would suggest you say to her that it does hurt you to break up, but you respect her wishes and want her to be free to move on as she desires. I would also suggest you try to find someone who is able to accept you for who you are and who you are more compatible with and let her do the same. If you did both try to force it and get married there is a possibility the same draining and frustration could happen later on. It may be better to move on now.

Thank you for reading my post. I'm not saying that I wasn't there. To me, I felt as if I was there full time, listening to her full time. Like I've said before the problems and areas where I improved, yes she saw that, yes she noticed it but it was the foundation on which this relationship was built on. Not the foundation of Christ but of the world.
The pastor came up to us not because either of us spoke to him but he just noticed a lot of couples are our church and have been praying and thinking and thought of us first. Not because our relationship was bad, cause like I said we got along absolutely great. I guess our pastor felt and noticed something.
Yes, if I keep saying the same thing as before and not really knowing the source or the exact problem yes, it'll be the same thing and become exactly the same but I know now clearly as day and night and what I needed to do. Lead and be accountable for her faith as well cause we are told that. It's not like I can't lead or don't have the ability to lead I just approached the situation and the problem terribly. I know it's selfish for me to ask her to let's try to make this work because she's just been drained and tired, I don't want to get into the what ifs but this was our only problem and the only thing that lead to this point. So now that I know clearly and can work in the right/correct way. I just want to be given that one last chance, just like how she took a leap of faith in starting this relationship, if she could take that leap once more with me

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

heathorheather

Jan 17, 2017
Virginia
✟9,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If she will talk to you, you can ask her to pray with you and for you.

Couples praying together or even two people is powerful stuff.

Maybe she needs to hear you praying outloud (with her) like "Lord I know that I have been lax spiritually and that your calling upon me is that I am a man after your own Son. To become more like Him with each passing day. Help me to see the important calling that you place upon me, now and in the future. To understand through prayer, worship and Your Word how to change and how to continue growing."

Just come deeply from the heart.

Yes she will talk but at this point I don't think she wants to talk. If I ask her let's talk she'll talk but hopefully you know what I mean. She said she'll pray for me and hope that my spiritual growth grows but as for us she says were done.
The prayer you mentioned, I feel that way genuinely and have been prayer along those lines after everything became so clear. I just wish her heart could listen to this and the person a couple of weeks could listen to this and not the person who made up her mind and closed the door.
Like I said to you before I know that all I can do is ask Him for forgiveness and put all this in His hands.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes she will talk but at this point I don't think she wants to talk. If I ask her let's talk she'll talk but hopefully you know what I mean. She said she'll pray for me and hope that my spiritual growth grows but as for us she says were done.
The prayer you mentioned, I feel that way genuinely and have been prayer along those lines after everything became so clear. I just wish her heart could listen to this and the person a couple of weeks could listen to this and not the person who made up her mind and closed the door.
Like I said to you before I know that all I can do is ask Him for forgiveness and put all this in His hands.
You do not think that having her pray WITH you and hearing the words of prayer coming out of your mouth may make a difference?

If she thinks you are not close enough to God, than this is what she probably WANTS to hear. Swallow your pride and try it. I'm a woman and it may change her mind. That is if you want it bad enough to try.

Upvote 0

heathorheather

Jan 17, 2017
Virginia
✟9,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You do not think that having her pray WITH you and hearing the words of prayer coming out of your mouth may make a difference?

If she thinks you are not close enough to God, than this is what she probably WANTS to hear. Swallow your pride and try it. I'm a woman and it may change her mind. That is if you want it bad enough to try.

No no that's not what I mean at all. I guess I or you misunderstood what I/you said. I'm saying yes it's very important to pray WITH her and allow us to hear each other. I'm just asking/wondering if that chance is gone because we are no longer together or were you saying talk to her now and ask if we can pray together in person where we can hear each other?

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No no that's not what I mean at all. I guess I or you misunderstood what I/you said. I'm saying yes it's very important to pray WITH her and allow us to hear each other. I'm just asking/wondering if that chance is gone because we are no longer together or were you saying talk to her now and ask if we can pray together in person where we can hear each other?
I would do that, pray together so you can hear each other. Hopefully in person.

We pray outloud like that in our small prayer groups. Each one takes a turn praying outloud.

Upvote 0

heathorheather

Jan 17, 2017
Virginia
✟9,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would do that, pray together so you can hear each other. Hopefully in person.

We pray outloud like that in our small prayer groups. Each one takes a turn praying outloud.

Correct many times in my small groups as well we've done that as well.

But would she want to pray with me, in person, together, when she already said this relationship is over and that her door is closed to another chance.

Upvote 0