Rejecting evolution & believing the Earth is flat

Frenzy

Nov 13, 2015
✟663.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
... unless we don't return to the same state we were in before we were conceived. Even from a purely naturalistic standpoint, things are not the same for the people around us. We've had an impact on them. And if we are annihilated, whatever word we use is for those people. Death is a good word for it, whether there's another life or no.
We have absolutely no reason the think that we don't just cease to exist and be in the same state we were in before we were conceived, reality is we were not here before then so why should the removal of the life we have not put us back in that same state again, what I want or don't want is totally irrelevant, mine is just one life in billions ending.

The memory of us remains alive just as long as the people who knew us are alive, when they go then we are really gone.
I wonder how many billions of people have lived and died since people first started to walk upright?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Marcus Aurelius wrote --- Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have absolutely no reason the think that we don't just cease to exist and be in the same state we were in before we were conceived, reality is we were not here before then so why should the removal of the life we have not put us back in that same state again, what I want or don't want is totally irrelevant, mine is just one life in billions ending.

The last part about our wants is obvious. The first part about whether we cease to exist is not so. Both are unrelated to the content of the post you quoted.

The memory of us remains alive just as long as the people who knew us are alive, when they go then we are really gone.
I wonder how many billions of people have lived and died since people first started to walk upright?

Many, I presume.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We were without life before we were conceived were we not? and we will be without life once we are dead, to me one follows the other whether I like it or not.

This is not me interjecting whether it is a thing to be liked or not. I'm just as happy to ignore what is liked and what is not. This is a point you keep raising.

That aside, it isn't obvious that we cease to be after we have died. Maybe you're right, of course, and we cease to be. But it doesn't immediately follow from the fact of death. Even if everything that we are is natural, the one does not necessarily lead to the other.

Upvote 0

Frenzy

Nov 13, 2015
✟663.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
This is not me interjecting whether it is a thing to be liked or not. I'm just as happy to ignore what is liked and what is not. This is a point you keep raising.

That aside, it isn't obvious that we cease to be after we have died. Maybe you're right, of course, and we cease to be. But it doesn't immediately follow from the fact of death. Even if everything that we are is natural, the one does not necessarily lead to the other.
Unless there is evidence to the contrary [which there is not] I think it would be safe to conclude that we do revert back to the same state we were in before we were conceived, for me that makes more sense than answers devised by men just to make them feel good.
Life starts and life ends for every living thing on earth, why should our life be any different just because we can imagine it to be different? if a dog could imagine a dog heaven would that make a dog heaven real? it would be real for the dog but it would not be real in reality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Willtor

Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unless there is evidence to the contrary [which there is not] I think it would be safe to conclude that we do revert back to the same state we were in before we were conceived, for me that makes more sense than answers devised by men just to make them feel good.

It always seems to come back to the feelings. I can't help but ask: do you have strong feelings in this matter?

Feelings aside, if God told you there were life after death, you wouldn't have evidence that it were so but you would probably still believe it.

Life starts and life ends for every living thing on earth, why should our life be any different just because we can imagine it to be different? if a dog could imagine a dog heaven would that make a dog heaven real? it would be real for the dog but it would not be real in reality.

It would make it real neither for the dog nor in reality. There is or is not a dog heaven independent of whether the dog thinks it so.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
OK so I'm asking this cause of a post where a fellow said that if you take the Bible literally, you cannot believe:
- The earth is a globe
- The earth rotates
- Heliocentrism
I can take the newspaper literally.

Even though it says the sun will rise at 6:53 a.m.

If I was in a car with you and asked you to "roll down my window," could (not would) you take me literally?

Upvote 0