Getting ready for spring break. Cya!
Oct 28, 2015
DC area
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OK so I'm asking this cause of a post where a fellow said that if you take the Bible literally, you cannot believe:
- The earth is a globe
- The earth rotates
- Heliocentrism

He said the Earth probably looks like this cause it supports the "four corners" & "the dome."
220px-Orlando-Ferguson-flat-earth-map_edit.jpg

I've never heard of any of this before so that's why I'm asking about it. I asked him if I could quote him & start a thread & he said sure so that's what I'm doing.
http://www.christianforums.com/thre...-spherical-earth.7915246/page-7#post-68833661

Reactions: crjmurray

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
OK so I'm asking this cause of a post where a fellow said that if you take the Bible literally, you cannot believe:
- The earth is a globe
- The earth rotates
- Heliocentrism

He said the Earth probably looks like this cause it supports the "four corners" & "the dome."

I've never heard of any of this before so that's why I'm asking about it. I asked him if I could quote him & start a thread & he said sure so that's what I'm doing.
http://www.christianforums.com/thre...-spherical-earth.7915246/page-7#post-68833661

Quite famously, Galileo was put under house arrest until his death for daring to publish that the Earth moves about the Sun.

"First, . . . to want to affirm that in reality the sun is at the center of the world and only turns on itself without moving from east to west, and the earth . . . revolves with great speed about the sun . . . is a very dangerous thing, likely not only to irritate all scholastic philosophers and theologians, but also to harm the Holy Faith by rendering Holy Scripture false."--Cardinal Bellarmine, 1615

Cardinal Bellarmine was the official who oversaw Galileo's trial.

Reactions: Butterfly99
Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
- The earth is a globe
- The earth rotates
- Heliocentrism

At the time that the oldest books of the Bible were written, it wasn't generally known that the Earth was round -- possibly nobody knew, depending on when they were written. But, of course, the Bible wasn't written to teach us about cosmology. It was written to teach us about God, ourselves, and our relationships to one another.

So, it shouldn't be surprising that the Bible is written without a round Earth cosmology, evolution, quantum physics, or any of these other scientific-type things that we know about, today. It wasn't written for that purpose.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
There is no scriptural basis for a flat earth. The scriptures they quote for such support are quite questionable.

The concept of a spherical Earth dates back to around the 6th century BC, when it was mentioned in ancient Greek philosophy,[1] but remained a matter of philosophical speculation until the 3rd century BC, when Hellenistic astronomy established the spherical shape of the earth as a physical given. The paradigm was gradually adopted throughout the Old World during Late Antiquity and the Middle Ages.[2][3][4][5] A practical demonstration of Earth's sphericity was achieved by Ferdinand Magellan and Juan Sebastián Elcano's expedition's circumnavigation (1519−1522).[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_Earth

A round earth has been around a long time.

It's quite impossible for the moon to have a round shadow of the earth if it were flat. The flat earthers have been posting on here for a long time and have refused to accept any scientific proof--including the words of former astronauts, many who have been devout Christians. They claim they are actors----despite the fact they are proven Christians who died with their so called "lies" which would mean they died lost. It is foolish beyond believe to suppose these men and women would all be lying. They refuse photographs claiming wrong lens, and many other such refusals of reality---like simply looking at the horizon. But, they offer a few good laughs.

Upvote 0

Black Dog

Sep 20, 2015
✟4,870.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
At the time that the oldest books of the Bible were written, it wasn't generally known that the Earth was round -- possibly nobody knew, depending on when they were written. But, of course, the Bible wasn't written to teach us about cosmology. It was written to teach us about God, ourselves, and our relationships to one another.

So, it shouldn't be surprising that the Bible is written without a round Earth cosmology, evolution, quantum physics, or any of these other scientific-type things that we know about, today. It wasn't written for that purpose.

That's fine, but if the bible is God inspired, or God written, then it shouldn't make basic mistakes like this. These mistakes point to a book of myths written by humans.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's fine, but if the bible is God inspired, or God written, then it shouldn't make basic mistakes like this. These mistakes point to a book of myths written by humans.

This is one perspective.

However, even assuming the Bible were verbally inspired, I wonder how long (and intractable) the Bible would have been if, instead of mythology, God had aimed for scientific precision. Consider ancient hearers of Genesis: If there had been a few dozen chapters on evolution, they would not have asked, "What is the evidence?", but rather, "What does this say about us and God?" Mythology is a much better vessel for the latter question.

That said, it is a controversial thing to say the Bible was verbally inspired. It reads like there were many distinct authors.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The key words of the OP are "take the Bible literally". The Bible is simply not a reliable source for history or science. It clearly is written, by various people at different times, using the knowledge, ideas, explanations and beliefs of the times and resident cultures. To claim what some do, as the OP describes, is to stick one's head in the sand and deny reality.

However, if people refuse to accept the evidence all around them, none of us is likely to change their minds. The amazing fact is that these persistent delusions are most prevalent in the U.S., as forum members from other parts of the world frequently point out. Not sure why that is.

Simply put, the Bible is the story of our relationship with God and how it developed, as related by Semitic people over a particular period of time. It is not a history, biology, astronomy or geology text.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The key words of the OP are "take the Bible literally". The Bible is simply not a reliable source for history or science. It clearly is written, by various people at different times, using the knowledge, ideas, explanations and beliefs of the times and resident cultures. To claim what some do, as the OP describes, is to stick one's head in the sand and deny reality.

However, if people refuse to accept the evidence all around them, none of us is likely to change their minds. The amazing fact is that these persistent delusions are most prevalent in the U.S., as forum members from other parts of the world frequently point out. Not sure why that is.

Simply put, the Bible is the story of our relationship with God and how it developed, as related by Semitic people over a particular period of time. It is not a history, biology, astronomy or geology text.

(emphasis mine)

There's a complex history that applies to the U.S. that makes this so. In particular, the de-democratization of science came to the U.S. in the mid-late 19th century -- something that struck pretty hard at the American ethos. When creationism became popular in the mid-20th century, it hearkened back to the older scientific idea that science was something that anybody could do with time and commitment.

The same struggle happened in Europe, but it was more muted. The big adherent to that kind of thinking I typically cite is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. But there were others who were (are) popular in the American Church like G.K. Chesterton and C.S. Lewis. Great minds, all... But wrong about the nature of science.

The fact is, your average Joe can't get time on the LHC or build a neutrino detector. In Darwin's day, traveling the world to gather the data he had gathered was totally infeasible for almost everybody. We're past the age when you can drop an orange and a grape at the same time and make a scientific breakthrough. There is friction, here, with the American ethos.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
- The earth is a globe
- The earth rotates
- Heliocentrism

He's right. The ancient Hebrews saw the world as flat, under a hard dome, and this is confirmed again and again in the Bibles. So if one takes a literal view of their Bible, they have to believe we live on a flat earth, under a hard dome, under water. Here are some scripture passages that show this.

Flat Earth-

Bible tells us that the earth is flat like a piece of clay stamped under a seal (Job 38:13-14), that it has edges as only a flat plane would (Job 38:13-14,.Psa 19:4), is set on a foundation, like a table (2Sm 22:16, Ps 18:15, 102:25, Pr 8:27-29, Is 48:13), has a length as only a flat plane would (Dan 4:11, Job 11:9, Job 28:24, Job 37:3, Job 38:13, Job 38:44, Jrm 16:19), that it is a circular disk (Isa 40:22), and that its entire surface can be seen from a high tree (Dan 4:10-11) heaven (Job 28:24) or mountain (Matt 4:8) or which is impossible for a sphere, but possible for a flat disk. Taken literally, as the YECs insist we do, any one of these passages shows a flat earth. Taken together, they are even more clear. And many Christians in history have interpreted it as such - including Martin Luther.

Geocentrism-

The Bible describes the earth as unmovable, set on a foundation of either pillars in water (1 Sam 2:8, 1 Chr 16:30, Job 9:6, 38:4, Psa 24:1-2, 75:s3, 93:1, 96:10, 104:5, 136:6). It also tells us that, although the earth does not move, the sun and stars do move about it (Josh 10:12, Psa 19:4-6, 50:1, Ecc 1:5 (note “returns”, not perspective), Hab 3:11). And that the stars could be dropped down onto the earth like fruit falling from a tree (Rev. 6:13). Taken literally, as the YECs insist we do, these verses show geocentrism. And many Christians in history have interpreted it as such.

We live in a Planetarium-

The Bible describes the sky (firmament -- literally "metal bowl made by a hammer"- Gen 1:6-8, 1:14-17) as a solid dome, like a tent (Isa 40:22, Psa 19:4, 104:2, Pr 8:27-29, Ezk 1:26), that is arched over the surface of the earth. It also has windows to let rain/snow in (Gen 7:11, 8:2, Deut 28:12, 2 Kings 7:2, Job 37:18, Mal 3:10, Rev 4:1). Ezekiel 1:22 and Job 37:18 even tell us that it's hard like bronze and sparkles like ice, that God walks on it (Job 22:14) and can be removed (Rev 6:14). Ex 24:10 suggests that it is like sapphire. Joshua 10:12 estimates how far the Sun and Moon are from Earth’s surface. The Sun was stopped to illuminate the Valley of Gibeon, and the Moon was stopped to illuminate the Valley of Aijalon, showing that one wasn’t sufficient for both valleys (too close). So some basic trigonometry shows that they are therefore at a roughly similar height as the valleys are from each other – which is around 20 miles. Similarly, the whole Star of Bethlehem story in Mt (where a star designates a single house) makes no sense if stars are millions of miles across, but makes perfect sense if the stars are little lights hanging from a dome above us. Taken literally, as the YECs insist we do, these verses show a solid sky above us. And again, many Christians in history have interpreted it as such.

3-2+3+Tiers.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2OR8by61ykM/ShdFdOXTT_I/AAAAAAAAASE/iecG00_Ais0/s400/3-2+3+Tiers.jpg

In Christ-

Papias

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
- The earth is a globe
- The earth rotates
- Heliocentrism

As pointed out above, he's right - scriptures is clear again and again that the world is as he describes - a flat earth under a hard dome. I listed some of the scripture that shows this in the previous post. Here I want to point out how much sense that view makes.

The biblical writers who said the earth was flat under a hard dome weren't stupid. Such a view, though wrong, is supported by observations of the world around us. That's what it really looks like.

For me, once I tried to think of what the world would have looked like to someone back then, without our current scientific understanding, the fact that most Bibles clearly and repeatedly describe us as living on a flat earth under a hard, bowl shaped dome with little lights in it made a lot of sense (that's what the world looks like, after all). This especially made sense of the otherwise perplexing "waters above" line.

In the bronze age, think of what a person saw that was big and blue, you saw the sky, of course, but you couldn’t reach it to see what it was made of. You saw large lakes, and the ocean that were big and blue. You may have seen bird that was blue, or a bead or bauble, but the only things that were big and blue (especially things you saw out in nature, not made by humans), were water. From that, you look up and see the big, blue sky, and even though you can’t touch it to check, it’s obvious that it is made of water. Why doesn’t the water come crashing down, like any other water thrown up into the air? Well, God must have made a clear, hard dome to keep it there. This must have been as obvious as the observation that fires are hot and that rocks are hard. Similarly, it must have been obvious that the Earth is flat (go out and look if you aren’t sure) and that the sun went around the earth (go out and look if you aren’t sure).

To communicate to people in that situation, an omniscient God would naturally adopt language that spoke to their world, artfully written as a metaphor that could also fit the world after more was known. The “waters above the firmament” seems like an obvious observation of what, in nature, is big and blue.

With that, I see Genesis as an intentional metaphor, and there is no need for us to try to come up with convoluted, silly explanations for (or try to fervently ignore) the "waters above" line in Genesis. The idea of our universe in a vast ocean doesn’t fit with the evidence from physics, where the calculations show that we’d all be crunched in a massive black hole if the universe were a bubble in a vast ocean. Our current scientific view doesn’t contradict simple math, while the “universe in a vast ocean” does. But that's OK, because God can have one written for one time, with the understanding that we'd be adult enough to understand a simple metaphor today.

Make sense?

in Christ Jesus-

-Papias

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Black Dog

Sep 20, 2015
✟4,870.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This is one perspective.

However, even assuming the Bible were verbally inspired, I wonder how long (and intractable) the Bible would have been if, instead of mythology, God had aimed for scientific precision. Consider ancient hearers of Genesis: If there had been a few dozen chapters on evolution, they would not have asked, "What is the evidence?", but rather, "What does this say about us and God?" Mythology is a much better vessel for the latter question.

That said, it is a controversial thing to say the Bible was verbally inspired. It reads like there were many distinct authors.

Sorry for not making myself clear. IMO a God inspired/written bible wouldn't make mistakes about the state of the universe. Stuff like stars falling to earth and the sun going around the earth come to mind. I don't see mistakes like these in any modern books I read.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry for not making myself clear. IMO a God inspired/written bible wouldn't make mistakes about the state of the universe. Stuff like stars falling to earth and the sun going around the earth come to mind. I don't see mistakes like these in any modern books I read.

Maybe, but those things aren't part of anybody's conception, today, either. I hedge with "maybe" because if somebody were to write a mythology, today, they might have things like that. Not having actually read The Lord of the Rings, I can't say whether Tolkien did. Point is, if we were still writing that kind of literature, we would include things based on today's conceptions of the world that in a couple millennia would seem antiquated or backward. The writer, today, considering that future, would probably hope his or her point still came across.

Upvote 0

ecco

Poster
Sep 4, 2015
Florida
✟5,011.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
- The earth is a globe
- The earth rotates
- Heliocentrism

So, what is your question?

Upvote 0

Butterfly99

Getting ready for spring break. Cya!
Oct 28, 2015
DC area
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, what is your question?

It's sorta in the thread title. Is it common for people who reject evolution to also believe the earth is flat? When somebody says that they take the Bible literally, I want to know how literally they take it.

Upvote 0

: D

Nov 12, 2015
south coast UK
✟7,965.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's sorta in the thread title. Is it common for people who reject evolution to also believe the earth is flat? When somebody says that they take the Bible literally, I want to know how literally they take it.

Modern or ancient, every culture operates within a certain cosmology or understanding of the universe. This cosmology sets the context of how a people understand their world and their place in it. With very few exceptions our modern day cosmology is shaped by the scientific discoveries of the past 500 years. Some of these discoveries have greatly upset religious understandings and it sometimes takes centuries to reconcile the differences. However, since we live in a culture that has been greatly shaped by the bible and Christian beliefs, it is worthwhile to ask about biblical cosmology.

The biblical understanding of the universe is much the same as that of the surrounding cultures in the ancient Middle East at the time when it was written. Unfortunately, nowhere does the bible attempt to present a comprehensive cosmology, so we are forced to rely upon individual passages and to attempt to understand them in the light of their culture and their history. To begin with, biblical cosmology can be characterized as a three-tiered universe. This strange phrase needs some explanation to make the concept clearer.

First, the surface of the earth is circular and flat except for geographical features like hills and valleys. This of course was the belief of the Sumerians. To these people it was theoretically possible to go high enough to see the entire earth, or to envision a tree tall enough that it could be seen from everywhere on the earth's surface, or even to build a tower to reach the sky. The sky was thought of as a solid bowl, called the firmament, that was upended over the circular earth to enclose a volume in the shape of a hemisphere. I should add that there are some bible verses that speak of the four corners of the earth. This was the view of the Babylonians. This would make the firmament look more like a tent than a bowl. The lights of the sky (sun, moon, planets and stars) were inside the firmament and were very much smaller than we presently understand. In fact they were very much smaller than the earth itself. The mechanism by which these celestial objects moved about is not really explained. The noncanonical Book of Enoch (mentioned in the bible as authoritive and part of the canon of Ethiopian Christians) speaks of gates in the east and west for the sun and the moon to enter and leave. Enoch also suggests that their movements are caused by winds.

What I have just described is the middle tier of the three. Above the firmament are waters. This region is described as heaven, the abode of God and the angels. There were also gates in the firmament to permit water to enter as rain. Below the earth are also waters. This region is described as sheol or hell. There were also gates in the earth to permit water to spring up from below. This three level universe is variously described as either hung on nothing or supported by pillars. Storehouses are also envisioned in heaven for the snow and hail.

How should a of Christian today react to this biblical cosmology? The vast majority of what might be described as 'mainline' Christians are actually quite comfortable with this seeming dichotomy. They recognize that the bible is the product of a relatively unsophisticated people with an entirely pre-scientific understanding of nature, who used poetic or metaphorical language to convey their spiritual understandings. On the other hand there is the minority point of view of those Christians who regard the bible to be inerrant and to be understood literally. This group has been forced into extreme apologetic efforts in order to reconcile the bible with modern scientific understandings.

Speaking personally, I find these apologetic attempts to be rather inventive and very strained. I believe that if the scripture writers and early target audience were to read these apologetics, they would find them extremely puzzling and entirely foreign. This is not to say that they were not intelligent people or not keen observers of nature but rather that that they lacked the intellectual basis to form scientific hypotheses and even the instrumentation to gather accurate data --- all that came about some 2,000 years later.

Isaiah 11:12And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH. (KJV)

Revelation 7:1And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. (KJV)

Job 38:13 That it might take hold of the ENDS OF THE EARTH, that the wicked might be shaken out of it? (KJV)

Jeremiah 16:19 O LORD, my strength, and my fortress, and my refuge in the day of affliction, the Gentiles shall come unto thee from the ENDS OF THE EARTH, and shall say, Surely our fathers have inherited lies, vanity, and things wherein there is no profit. (KJV)

Daniel 4:11 The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the ENDS OF ALL THE EARTH: (KJV)

Matthew 4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; (KJV)

Psalm 104:5 "He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved."(NIV)

Psalm 93:1"The LORD reigns, he is robed in majesty; the LORD is robed in majesty and is armed with strength. The world is firmly established; it cannot be moved." (NIV)

Psalm 96:10 "Say among the nations, "The LORD reigns." The world is firmly established, it cannot be moved; he will judge the peoples with equity." (NIV)

Ecclesiastes 1:5 "The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises." (NIV)

Isaiah 40:22 "He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in." (NIV)

Job 9:6 He shakes the earth from its place and makes its pillars tremble. (NIV)

Job 26:11 The pillars of the heavens quake, aghast at his rebuke. (NIV)

Job 38:22 "Have you entered the storehouses of the snow or seen the storehouses of the hail," (NIV)

Amos 9:6 The One who builds His upper chambers in the heavens and has founded His VAULTED DOME over the earth, He who calls for the waters of the sea and pours them out on the face of the earth, The LORD is His name. (NASB)

The biblical flat earth cosmology persisted into New Testament times. However by the mid second century Christianity had largely lost its Jewish roots and understandings and had become a gentile Greek speaking movement. Of course the Greeks knew that the earth was a sphere thanks to Eratosthenes who actually was able to calculate the circumference around 240 BC. This knowledge gradually percolated into Jewish and Christian thought especially after Ptolemy introduced his cosmology in the mid second century. The earth became the center of the universe with the moon and then the sun and then the planets, with complicated epicycles, and then the “fixed” stars all in orbit around it. This was the cosmology accepted by Christianity until the revolution of Copernicus, Kepler. Galileo and Newton. This was resisted by Christianity largely on the basis that the earth was not the center of God’s creation. In a relatively short time even this scientific insight was not only accepted but accepted to the extent that the biblical cosmology of a flat earth was rejected. The flat earth was not only rejected but ridiculous arguments were even invented to suggest that the bible was not even suggesting a flat earth at all. Such, all too often, is the way some Christians react to new understandings and insights.

Even having said all this, the belief in a flat earth persisted for a very long time, even in educated circles, as is evidenced in this comment by Ferdinand Magellan, the first person to circumnavigate the globe: “The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church.”It took time but the modern cosmology took root in society at large, so much so that some Christians even return to the bible and attempt to reinterpret it in such a way as to “prove” that it was speaking of a spherical earth orbiting the sun all along.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The biblical flat earth cosmology persisted into New Testament times.

We still refer to sunrise and sunset as if the sun was circling us.

6:51 AM
Monday, November 16, 2015 (EST)
Sunrise in Washington, DC

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
None of those verses mean in ay way, that the earth is flat. The 4 corners of the earth--it is simply the 4 directions--east, south, north and west. Even amongst academics, they still say the 4 corners of the earth. Creationists that take a literal 6 day creation view do not automatically believe in a flat earth. I did not even know there were creationists we believe in a flat earth until I came on this forum. Every creationist I ever met was definitely not a flat earther. The verse states that the earth can not be moved--it doesn't say it doesn't move. Just means what it says, you just can't go out and physically move this world--no Atlas with the world on his back. The sun rises and sets--we still say it that way for the simple reason that is what it looks like. Nothing to do with a flat earth. None of those verses mean a flat earth, never even occurred to those of us who read those verses in school. The earth and planets were always taught as round and I went to mostly parochial schools, no one ever taught a flat earth---don't know where they get this from.
I talked to a friend of mine and asked her if she knew there were people who believe the earth is flat and she busted out laughing and said there were some in her church and there was no amount of evidence to the contrary you can use to make them understand anything else, including just looking at the shadow of the earth on the moon, which is definitely not flat. They are considered rather wacky by the rest of the congregation. They gone through those verses with them and tried to help them see they are not indicating the earth is flat, but they hold firm to a flat earth---oh, well.

Upvote 0

Black Dog

Sep 20, 2015
✟4,870.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Maybe, but those things aren't part of anybody's conception, today, either. I hedge with "maybe" because if somebody were to write a mythology, today, they might have things like that. Not having actually read The Lord of the Rings, I can't say whether Tolkien did. Point is, if we were still writing that kind of literature, we would include things based on today's conceptions of the world that in a couple millennia would seem antiquated or backward. The writer, today, considering that future, would probably hope his or her point still came across.

Lord of the Rings was set in another world, "Middle Earth", so not really applicable, but I understand your meaning. IMO, it's not that the bible seems antiquated or backward, it is just dead wrong on some points, which makes no sense if an omniscient God had his hand in it.

Upvote 0