Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reasons to change churches?

Discussion in 'Looking for a Church' started by brittany111, Jan 3, 2013.

1. brittany111

brittany111 Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Every time I have changed churches in the past it has just sort of 'happened.' The first time was because I moved to a town two hours away, the second was for personal reasons and because I felt God was moving me on, the third and last time I changed churches I never actually inteded to. (I went to my current church as a visitor a few times with no intentions of actually changing churches, when the leadership of my previous church chose to close the doors.)

My parents understand why I stay at my current church, but want me to change churches so that we can again worship together as a family. I love my current church and the only benefits I see from changing are that it is where my parents go, my parents church is charismatic and my church is not, and my parents church seems to do more to reach out to the community.

I have prayed about changing but haven't felt led in either way.

What are good reasons for changing churches?

2. wordsoflife

wordsoflife New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Lutheran
    I am a confirmed Catholic. But, I attend my parents Church which is Lutheran. It is nice to keep the family together.

3. brittany111

brittany111 Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    It is not an issue of denomination, my parents and I are both nondenominational and both churches are nondenominational (just one is charismatic and the other isn't). Plus both churches are just down the road from each other.

I just don't want to up and change churches just because it is what others want me to do-I want to be where the Lord wants me.

Thankyou though for your input. I do agree keeping the family together is important.

4. Albion

Albion Facilitator

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Anglican
    How highly do you value the idea of the family worshipping together?

How important to you is the fact that their church is charismatic?

If there are no other considerations, answering those two questions should tell you where to alight.

5. Tigger45

Tigger45 Christification cadet Supporter CF Ambassador Angels Team

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Constitution
    Faith:
    Christian
    Maybe you could attend your current church's service but do community service with your parents.

If Not For Grace likes this.
  6. kenrapoza

kenrapoza I Like Ice Cream

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Presbyterian
    What it really comes down to is what the churches are teaching and proclaiming. If Christ has instituted His church to proclaim His gospel, then the first question is how faithful the church is to that message. Is their doctrine biblical? Do they display the marks of a true church? This is where we should begin. So, in your case, do you agree with the position of the charismatic church or do you think that it is unbiblical?

7. brittany111

brittany111 Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Both churches base their teachings on scripture. The only thing where the two differ is on their belief about praying and speaking in tongues. I do pray in tongues, but don't consider it a salvation issue and don't mind worshiping with those who don't (I've done it for almost 4 years).

8. Zoness

Zoness Neopagan Cryptoanarchist Supporter

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Pagan
    I'm not particularly religious anymore but my girlfriend is Lutheran, my Mom's family and my Mom is Catholic and my Dad and stepmom are adamantly Baptist. I attend all services upon request because the last thing I want in life is people hating me because of my lack of religion especially in my family, its just a respect/avoid trouble thing to me.

If they day ever comes that I return to Christianity its going to messy when my SO and I choose our own church, talk about bad blood.

I can vaguely relate the OP, my suggestion is investigate doctrinal differences between the two.

9. Wow, Lutheran, Catholic and Baptist all in the same family?!?

10. If Not For Grace

If Not For Grace Legend-but then so's Keith Richards

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Christian
    The better question for me is why to stay in a church? The suggestion of staying in your church and helping out with the service work in your parents church is a good one.

Some families like to worship together but others need a bit of distance. Alot of people have enough of in-law, children or relative problems and do not find it comfortable to receive counseling or make prayer requests which might ID a family member.

I always encourage visitation between churches, just like eating different foods. It's good to get new perpectives and extend your church family beyond just Mom/Dad. Have a base but feel free to attend and worship anywhere that the word is taught/preached.

11. smithwood

smithwood Newbie

Faith:
    Christian
    I think it's best if both partners attend the same church. Whatever the reasons for moving or staying, do it together.

12. jsimms615

jsimms615 Moderator Staff Member Moderator Supporter CF Ambassador Angels Team

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Christian
    I think there are several good reasons to change churches, first because the Lord is directing you to change. Second, I think if your disagreeing with the doctrinal stance of the church. Third, I think if the staff of the church does something that is immoral that would be a sign to leave.
    I don't think people join churches for good reasons anymore than they leave them for good reasons for the most part. Most of the time people go to the church they are at because they are invited by friends or family.

13. CareyGreen

CareyGreen Marriage & family coach

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    If you are "OK" with others in the fellowship believing differently about the tongues issues (and biblically you should be), then I'd say it's fine to stay in fellowship there. The gifts issue is made into WAY too big of an issue nowadays. We need to learn that none of us has the corner on the market of truth... and are always learning about such things as we grow.

14. parsley

parsley . Supporter

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Protestant
    It sounds like your previous changes were God-led.
    Look at why they might be asking that of you. You have been living an adult life long enough that it might feel like living under their roof again. But maybe they are getting older and seeing their friends disappear one by one, and they are gaining a whole new appreciation for family bonds.

If there were children involved (siblings or you), they might suggest that because they want it for their grandchildren -- for the kids to see everyone worshiping God together.

If they were feeling more frail and facing illnesses, that might be another valid reason -- wanting to make sure you were there in case they needed help.

But unless you see a reason that someone else needs you there for support, it doesn't seem you should feel guilty for staying with what you have chosen. Find out their reasons. If you are gaining a lot from being where you are, and no one needs you elsewhere, then there's no reason to switch.

15. Oaksfan4ever

Oaksfan4ever Guest

The best reason to change a church in my opinion is because the HOLY SPIRIT leads you too!!

16. If Not For Grace

If Not For Grace Legend-but then so's Keith Richards

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Christian
    Always best for married couples to go together-but you don't have to go to Grandpa's church for the sake of a family legacy-Even alot of Adult pastor's kids don't attend where Dad preaches because of the extra pressure either/both sides feel. They often branch out. It's like a Dr. Treating his own adult children, may be better they go somewhere else. The thing is it's a choice.

There's NO wrong reason to leave a church unless you are just a "power munger" dogmatic busy body whose miffed about something not going your little immature way. in That case you will not be happy in any church that does not do things "your way" and No good church will. :)

17. JESUSIAM

JESUSIAM A Son of God

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    One of the ten commandments: Honor your father and mother.

Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.

18. JESUSIAM

JESUSIAM A Son of God

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.

1 Corinthians 14:19 yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue.
    :angel: