Pennsylvania, USA
✟753,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Definitely not a saint. Interestingly, there were 2 major events in his life that might have proven otherwise. He actually journeyed to Mt. Athos to become a monk but witnessed debauchery (Athos is not rife in this) in the cell he was to join & left in disgust. In the summer of 1914, he was out of town from St. Petersburg but learned of Russia drifting into WW I & wanted to beg the Czar to remain neutral. Rasputin's efforts were either interfered with or ignored & from there he seemed to resign himself to the hetero debauchery he had at least previously struggled with.

These accounts are in the book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Life-Times-Grigorii-Rasputin/dp/0881844845

Just another tragedy in our fallen world.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oy!

rasputin-ikona.jpg

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Definitely not a saint. Interestingly, there were 2 major events in his life that might have proven otherwise. He actually journeyed to Mt. Athos to become a monk but witnessed debauchery (Athos is not rife in this) in the cell he was to join & left in disgust. In the summer of 1914, he was out of town from St. Petersburg but learned of Russia drifting into WW I & wanted to beg the Czar to remain neutral. Rasputin's efforts were either interfered with or ignored & from there he seemed to resign himself to the hetero debauchery he had at least previously struggled with.

These accounts are in the book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Life-Times-Grigorii-Rasputin/dp/0881844845

I heard he was involved in the Occult as well later on.....and he never seemed to be all there from the descriptions given of him.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
i think its safe to say that much of what we think about him was made up or exaggerated by the Russian intelligentsia in order to sully the reputation of the Royal Martyrs. We hear all kinds of wild things about him - like that he pretended to be a monk - but he had a family that he would visit and send money to, and the Tsar knew this. I'm not saying he's a Saint, but i dont think he's a human demon like we tend to think. he was probably a good, pious man (St. John of Kronstadt was impressed by him early on) who may have had legitimate gifts from God to heal the Tsarevich, but who did eventually give into the temptations of big city life to some degree. but he was not a debaucherous wretch from day one like we are commonly taught.

• Informative
Reactions: Nick Moser
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

There was actually another discussion elsewhere which seemed insightful:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,296,791.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox