Senior Veteran
Apr 11, 2005
✟5,083.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
http://www.christianforums.com/t2853915-rape-probe-grounds-dukes-lacrosse-team.html#post23062979

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/422462.html

I know everyone has seen the story about this crime, but few want to talk about it. What galls me is why all 40-something members of this sports team have chosen to be silent about the crime now. In fact, it makes me sick, in light of the racial abuse hurled at not only the victim, but also at another black young woman passing by the frat house.

Do people think that the victim, because of her job as a stripper, deserves violent rape and abuse?

I am beginning to think that people do think that. And that is horrible. Each and every member of that lacrosse team needs to be questioned about their compliance in what happened.

CSmrw

Jan 10, 2006
✟10,350.00
Faith
Atheist
Does this mean if I see a guy with a football jersey I can tackle him? Or cross check anyone in a hockey jersey? Take a shot at someone in military fatigues? People who want to justify criminality by saying other people "deserved" it are victims of a guilty conscience, perhaps? They are thinking like animals instead of human beings. Perhaps we should hunt them...after all, they deserve it.

Upvote 0

Ampoliros

I'm my own wireless hotspot
May 15, 2004
Mars - IN MY MIND!
✟9,685.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
CSmrw said:
Does this mean if I see a guy with a football jersey I can tackle him? Or cross check anyone in a hockey jersey? Take a shot at someone in military fatigues? People who want to justify criminality by saying other people "deserved" it are victims of a guilty conscience, perhaps? They are thinking like animals instead of human beings. Perhaps we should hunt them...after all, they deserve it.

What he said.

(You win the thread. Congrats. :clap: )

Upvote 0

Ryal Kane

Senior Veteran
Apr 21, 2004
Hamilton
✟13,720.00
Faith
Atheist
Unfortunately it seems a reflection of two very harmful social occurances.

1 - The idea that some women, whether promiscuous or in a sexualised profession somehow 'deserve what's coming to them'. It's an overhang from the sexism and repression of the past but it's still quite powerful today.

2 - That stars, (mostly sports stars rather than actors) are somehow desrving of special treatment.

People in NZ are beginning to question jsut how often our sports stars seem to get very light sentences, (usually for fights) where others would get much lighter ones.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cleany

"I desire mercy, not sacrifice&am
Aug 2, 2005
Berkshire
✟9,292.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
CSmrw said:
can i enter this for "post of the month"?

Upvote 0

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
CSmrw said:

Exactly. No one deserves to be raped.

Being a stripper should in no way be used an excuse to be violated in any way. There is nothing that justifies rape, nothing at all.

Upvote 0

h2whoa

Ace2whoa - resident geneticist
Sep 21, 2004
Manchester, UK
✟4,091.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
CSmrw said:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CSmrw again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Argent

Sep 29, 2005
New York, NY
✟10,621.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Libertarian
From an evangelical Chrisitan perspective, there can be and are very real consequences to our sin.

Now, does this woman's sin of working in the sex industry enticing men to lust and desire sex (and this is the job of a stripper) make her deserve to be the victim of the sins of others? NO, OF COURSE NOT.

The reality is that this is a fallen and broken world in which we live and there is a lot of evil in it, even if many of the atheists on here don't believe in evil, and the more we sin and make sin a part of our lives, the more we will be victim of sin, either our own or that of others.

Were the men wrong to sexually assault her after she had aroused them with her "exotic dance" (I think she describes herself as an "exotic dancer", not a stripper, but a rose is a rose.....)? Yes, of course thery were wrong.

But a woman who is really concerned for her own well-being won't go to a house full of college-age men and take her clothes off in an erotic dance in front of them. Obviously, there were some evil young men there.

If I go to the bad part of town to a tough bar and flash a big roll of cash and then I get shot and robbed after I leave, are the robbers wrong for robbing and shooting me? Of course they are. But I have to take some responsibility for putting myself in harms way.

*puts on flame-retardant suit and waits for the feminist assault*

Upvote 0

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Argent said:
From an evangelical Chrisitan perspective, there can be and are very real consequences to our sin.

Now, does this woman's sin of working in the sex industry enticing men to lust and desire sex (and this is the job of a stripper) make her deserve to be the victim of the sins of others? NO, OF COURSE NOT.

The reality is that this is a fallen and broken world in which we live and there is a lot of evil in it, even if many of the atheists on here don't believe in evil, and the more we sin and make sin a part of our lives, the more we will be victim of sin, either our own or that of others.

Were the men wrong to sexually assault her after she had aroused them with her "exotic dance" (I think she describes herself as an "exotic dancer", not a stripper, but a rose is a rose.....)? Yes, of course thery were wrong.

But a woman who is really concerned for her own well-being won't go to a house full of college-age men and take her clothes off in an erotic dance in front of them. Obviously, there were some evil young men there.

If I go to the bad part of town to a tough bar and flash a big roll of cash and then I get shot and robbed after I leave, are the robbers wrong for robbing and shooting me? Of course they are. But I have to take some responsibility for putting myself in harms way.

*puts on flame-retardant suit and waits for the feminist assault*

Ah! The old "It's not her fault but..." arguement, even with the classic "wait for the feminists to breath their fire at me"! :doh:

Where is the line to be drawn? If stripping is akin to going into a seedy bar with a "rob me, I have $5000 on me" sign, then what is Burlesque? Or ballet? Or theatre? Or any liveperformance? Walking into a reputable bar with $500 hanging out of your purse? Or giving a presentation at work? Strip bars, ballets, theatres, and business presentations all have common patron: middle-to-upper-wage-earning men and women.

Yes, there is a huge difference between fine arts performances and stripping, but the actions of the patrons are the same: people come and pay money to watch a live show.

Should banks that get robbed be told "it's your fault, you advertise you're a bank"? Should convienence store clerks be told "it's your fault you were robbed and shot, you work at a convienence store"? No, of course not. No decent person would every think of saying something so stupid. Yet "decent" people are constantly saying "It's not your fault you were raped, but really it is, because..."

"It's not your fault, but..." is the worst phrase anyone could every say to a victim of rape. A cruel, unkind, nasty, vile thing. Not neighbourly, not loving at all.

Or, to put it another way, once again:

CSmrw said:

Upvote 0

Argent

Sep 29, 2005
New York, NY
✟10,621.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Libertarian
SallyNow said:
Ah! The old "It's not her fault but..." arguement, even with the classic "wait for the feminists to breath their fire at me"! :doh:

Where is the line to be drawn? If stripping is akin to going into a seedy bar with a "rob me, I have $5000 on me" sign, then what is Burlesque? Or ballet? Or theatre? Or any liveperformance? Walking into a reputable bar with $500 hanging out of your purse? Or giving a presentation at work? Strip bars, ballets, theatres, and business presentations all have common patron: middle-to-upper-wage-earning men and women.

Yes, there is a huge difference between fine arts performances and stripping, but the actions of the patrons are the same: people come and pay money to watch a live show.

Should banks that get robbed be told "it's your fault, you advertise you're a bank"? Should convienence store clerks be told "it's your fault you were robbed and shot, you work at a convienence store"? No, of course not. No decent person would every think of saying something so stupid. Yet "decent" people are constantly saying "It's not your fault you were raped, but really it is, because..."

"It's not your fault, but..." is the worst phrase anyone could every say to a victim of rape. A cruel, unkind, nasty, vile thing. Not neighbourly, not loving at all.

Or, to put it another way, once again:

The fact of the matter is that women are vulnerable to sexual assault to a much, much greater degree than men are.

There are evil men in this world and women should do everything possible to lessen their vulnerability to victimization. One of those is avoiding such situations.

This woman has options as far as work is concerned. Does stripping pay well? Of course it does, for two reasons: First, it lessens a woman's social value, and don't start screaming about a double standard. Ask most guys, Christian or not, if they would marry a woman who shows her body on stage for money. Most are going to say "No.". So, women won't do it unless they are compensated beyond what less degrading work would pay. Second, sex industry work is frought with peril. It's dangerous.

Women enter the sex industry in different rolls for different reasons, and often it is because of low self-esteem after being sexually abused as a child or adolescent. Some do it because of the money. Some for the thrill, ecxitement or out of vanity and the need to be desired. Some out of sense of revenge on men. Whatever the reason, it's dangerous.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.