alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
If you could be so kind as to answer the following questions with a yes/no answer that would be great. I ask these questions because I've been taught in a Christian school that every major event in the Bible actually occurred here in reality exactly as it is said in the Bible. I just need to separate factual from fictional.

1. Were Adam and Eve the first two humans to exist?

2. Did a universal flood that covered the entire earth actually happen?

3. Did 600,000+ people escape slavery in Egypt according to Exodus?

4. Was Jesus born in Bethlehem?

I might add more later.

Hakan101

Here I Am
Mar 11, 2010
Earth
✟1,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Honestly the answers differ depending on who you ask.

I think the Bible clearly describes and refers to Genesis as historical truth. Adam and Eve were the first humans, the flood actually happened (I believe the waters came from within the earth), the Hebrews did exodus out of Egypt, Jesus was born in Bethlehem.

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Honestly the answers differ depending on who you ask.
This is what troubles me. Just makes the Bible seem more unreliable than it already is to me.

I think the Bible clearly describes and refers to Genesis as historical truth. Adam and Eve were the first humans, the flood actually happened (I believe the waters came from within the earth), the Hebrews did exodus out of Egypt, Jesus was born in Bethlehem.
So you take all these stories literally. Ok thanks.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you could be so kind as to answer the following questions with a yes/no answer that would be great. I ask these questions because I've been taught in a Christian school that every major event in the Bible actually occurred here in reality exactly as it is said in the Bible. I just need to separate factual from fictional.
Good for you :thumbsup:
I suppose it is possible. Who is claiming to have this knowledge, and why do they say it is knowledge?
Ditto.
Ditto.
Ditto.
I might add more later.
Can I add one? Did Jesus live at the time He is claimed to, challenge establishments and split the world in two?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

I might add more later.

The reason answers differ is because many Christians believe that the Bible is historically accurate in all details, whereas some others accept what mainstream historians say is the most likely historically. In a period that long ago historians don't agree completely, because evidence isn't as good as we'd like. But I think there's pretty good agreement on 1 - 3. This core question of Biblical inerrancy is a question of faith, which you'll have to decide for yourself.

If you aren't committed to inerrancy, on 1 - 3 we have pretty good evidence that the Biblical account is not literally true. Mainstream archaeologists don’t consider anything before about Judges historical, and there’s controversy over even the period of the kings.

The Gospels are a lot nearer the events. Generally I accept their picture of Jesus’ life and teachings, though we certainly don't have an exact transcript of his teachings. However the birth stories are the least likely to be historical. I’d say Nazareth is at least possible, based on other indications in the Gospels, but I’d still go with Bethlehem as the most likely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,144.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I might add more later.

In a big picture, human history as a whole is a result of human witnessing. That is, it is safe to say that most history (= his story) is not backed by evidence. We examine the credibility of history documents by giving credits (or rather putting faith on) to those who wrote them in a fashion supported by their sincerity and by a multiple account witnessing.

To simply put, history has no evidence. The more distant history is, the more that it is so (not evidence based). This is the very nature of history itself. And the truth of history relies on where you put your faith.

That being said;

Why not? Even when you assume that our world is a result of evolution. If God chose to drop Adam and Eve among all the evolution organisms, then how will you be able to distinguish?

Human knowledge about the types of catastrophe is limited. We have only a window of less than 500 years through which we try to take a look at a presume history of billion years. We can't say for sure what kind of catastrophe even occurred in the past billion years (if planet earth is actually that old). We developed our technology only in the past several hundred years for our arrogance to say that "We humans already know all kinds of catastrophes, and to conclude that it is impossible for a 'Noah flood' to occur."

To me, the Bible only recorded down what Noah saw. We may not know what the catastrophe actually is (unless we experience it the second time, or better, when God tells us what happened).

Why not? Unless you apply the fallacy of "the absence of evidence is the evidence of absence."

Again why not?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

If you believe the record of the Bible, yes.

Depends upon how you understand the phrase "the whole world." Some hold to a localized flood covering the known inhabited portions of the world at the time of Noah, others to a literally world-wide one. In either case a really big flood occurred.

Is there some good reason to doubt the record of the Bible on how many Israelites escaped slavery in Egypt?

If you believe the record of the Bible, yes.

Selah.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
alexiscurious

Well....you know as well as I do that coming onto a public forum in the attempt to sort fact from fiction is typically an act of futility. So, I'm not going to answer your unnecessarily dichotomous questions, Alex. (And don't take it personally...they are good questions, but collecting answers to a descriptive survey of questions won't empower you to discern the truth, or to reach a definite conclusion about the nature of something like the Bible.)

I might add more later.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

theIdi0t

Veteran
May 22, 2007
✟10,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I might add more later.

I'm inclined to say no to all of the above, with 1 an 4, not as strongly no, but still doubtful enough to say no.

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I'm inclined to say no to all of the above, with 1 an 4, not as strongly no, but still doubtful enough to say no.

How can you still be a Christian then? I'm confused. If you know for sure that most of these stories are false, and that authors of these stories are deceptively trying to convince you into thinking they are true, doesn't that make you at all wary of how reliable the Bible actually is? If they are feeding you false information and have no problem misreporting information, why do you believe the rest of what they are telling you in other sections of the Bible?

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
You might want to delve into archaeology writings. The average believer does not have the time to dig into details, so they go with what they have found so far.

Evidence from the past is recognized by anthropologists, historians, archaeologists, linguists... and collected from around the world. The various scriptures carry weight similar to the Code of Hammurabi or Rosetta stone or other steles.

Experts compare stories and find many similarities-- like a widespread flood, and explanations of creation. That would reflect how each civilization explained their experiences in their own way. Not always shared, but having some confirming aspects.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums