Osnabrueck
✟15,783.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When looking for a Christian college, what are some of the questions you asked them? What are some you would ask if you could go back and research again? Any advice whatsoever for someone looking for a college (Christian or otherwise) that has NO ONE who knows what they're doing around? :) Thanks in advance.
G-d bless.
Vickey

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
When looking for a Christian college, what are some of the questions you asked them? What are some you would ask if you could go back and research again? Any advice whatsoever for someone looking for a college (Christian or otherwise) that has NO ONE who knows what they're doing around? :) Thanks in advance.
G-d bless.
Vickey

What are your specific goals for college (i.e. major, career, etc.)? If you tell me what you want out of college, I could probably give some helpful suggestions.

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Personally I'd just look up the info online. :)
But if I did ask I'd ask:
1. about the majors (speficically the one/s you are interested in. and what classes are required and such if you want to know that.
2. how much it's going to cost, and about financial aid
3. if they have specific classes you are interested in taking (for example I'd want to know what music groups they had, and what foreign languages they offer)
4. about the living situation, if you will live on campus, you might want to know a bit about that. (it's good to talk to other students there about that)
then if there was anything else you wondered about, then just ask them. :)

Upvote 0

fuzzyh

Jun 26, 2004
Oregon
Visit site
✟8,456.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1. Depending on what you are looking at accreditation

2. About the major that you are interested in. Meet the Dept Head as well as other faculty related to your major. A good Dept Head/Adviser will make or break a program.

3. Cost and financial aid.

4. What graduates do after that get done with school? Are they accepted to grad programs? Do they get a good job placement? Does the school have a good relationship with employers in that field?

Upvote 0

jesusfreak220

Jan 6, 2007
Osnabrueck
✟15,783.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Arunma, I'm not really sure what I want to do yet. All I know is that I want to keep doing music/acting programs, study languages (German and Italian if possible but if not, I can get training off campus), and draw closer to G-d. I have no clue yet what I want to major in.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Arunma, I'm not really sure what I want to do yet. All I know is that I want to keep doing music/acting programs, study languages (German and Italian if possible but if not, I can get training off campus), and draw closer to G-d. I have no clue yet what I want to major in.

I see. Those are excellent goals, especially your desire to draw closer to God. I think that what others have said so far is very good advice. In addition, I would add these:

1. Find out about campus ministries at the schools you're looking at. Most colleges have several campus ministries, and involvement in one is most important for spiritual growth. You'll also want to look for solid churches nearby (there's at least one at about every college). You don't want to let the distractions of everyday life take your mind off the Gospel, because ultimately, that is where we all place our hope. Thus, it's essential to have a Christian fellowship while you're in college.

2. I can't stress this enough: start thinking about employability. It's great to do something you love in college, but if you can't get a job afterwards, that won't be worth much. I've heard stories about people who majored in various liberal arts subjects, only to end up going to technical school or nursing school soon after graduation, because they couldn't find a job. Engineering and science are perhaps the most employable majors. I realize this might not be your cup of tea, but it's worth thinking about. Four years seems like a long time, but it'll pass by very quickly, and you want to have a job waiting for you when you're out. There are certainly job opportunities in languages, but it will really help to go to graduate school, so this is also worth thinking about. Email the German and Italian department heads at the schools you're looking at, and ask them how successful they are at getting their students into graduate school. Finally, you may also want to think about medical school. The great thing about this is that you can major in whatever you want, and as long as you take about six or seven required classes (biology, chemistry, etc.), you're eligible to apply.

3. See if your prospective schools have financial aid and scholarship applications. Often times, a school will have one application you can fill out for all of their awards and scholarships. This is very convenient, not to mention that it's important to minimize your college costs.

4. Apply for independent scholarships (i.e. ones that aren't tied to a specific college). Fastweb.com is a good place to find scholarships like these. You'd be surprised at the free money that's available, and it's important to look out for this.

Upvote 0

apumic

Feb 27, 2006
✟15,310.00
Faith
Christian
Ask about how they develop their students personally and spiritually -- that's important at a Christian college and really one of the main reasons to attend one (if you just want the academics, PLEASE go elsewhere; academically, there are FAR better schools, but usually Christian schools have the "magic X-factor" employers look for in that their students are personally developed... anyway...end rant! lol)

Ask about things like food, student activities, fitness center, residence life policies, etc. Basically.... ask about what matters to you!

Upvote 0