Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But I also know of a girl who went up who was not Orthodox, and the priest didn't make a big deal out of it. He blessed her and gave her antidoron

Giving a blessing to a non-Othodox is the standard practice if one approaches the chalice. (Antidoron is allowed to anyone). Many priests can figure out who is non-Orthodox most of the time if one approaches the chalice because the non-Orthodox are unaware that you are to give your baptismal name to the priest, so he can recite it as he offers you the Body and Blood.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,724.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know that she is an exceptional case, but St Mary of Egypt went 48 years between receiving Holy Communion. The first after her repentance and the second just before she died. I suspect that most people would be able to make the effort to get to an Orthodox Church at least once a year and probably more often.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Standard practice is that if you're Orthodox and you're not near an Orthodox parish/monastery, then do prayers at home until you're able to make it to a liturgy.

yeah, when I have been off either training for extended periods or deployed, I was told to do Orthodox prayers and be patient.

Upvote 0

Protomartyr Alban

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Jul 14, 2014
Essex
✟9,278.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
1)Are those of the eastern orthodox faith allowed communion in roman catholic churches?

2)Are Roman Catholics allowed the Eucharist in eastern orthodox churches?

3)Are divorced people allowed the Eucharist in eastern Orthodox Churches?

4)Are gay people (who might engage in a sexual relationship/partnership) allowed to receive the Eucharist in eastern Orthodox Churches?

Not looking for debate, just clear answers! (if such exists - sometimes these things are not clear)

Will be posting the same on the oriental orthodox forum -

Thanks!

Zaida

1. No.

2. No.

3. Yes - except for a while immediately after the divorce.

4. Yes - unless the priest excommunicates them for a while. It's down to the Priest.

Only those in the Orthodox Church can partake of the Holy Mysteries in the Orthodox Church. The only reasons one of the faithful must not partake are the following:

1. Murder.
2. Knowingly teaching heresy in public.
3. Apostasy (this includes but is not limited to taking Communion or any other equivalent to a Holy Mystery in a non-Orthodox place of worship - whether it be Roman Catholic, Anglican, Methodist, Hindu, baptist, Sikh or whatever).
4. Adultery (actual adultery, not fornication or something).

Roman Catholics say they can have Communion in our parishes and us in ours - that is Vatican II teaching, they never used to teach that and we still don't. If an Orthodox Priest knowingly gives the Precious Body and Blood to a Roman Catholic (or any non-Orthodox person), it is to his own condemnation, and the non-Orthodox person will also be harmed by Christ's Precious Body and Blood. As mentioned above, if one of the faithful partake of the equivalent of a Holy Mystery (not limited to Communion) in a non-Orthodox setting, they have committed Apostasy and are no longer part of the Church. Of course, if they were ignorant, like if they went to a Uniate parish and thought it was Orthodox, then of course we do not consider them Apostates, but special prayers must still be said over them and certain steps taken.

I hope this helps, God bless.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I hope this helps, God bless.

Just noticed you are new here? I just wanted to say welcome to CF and welcome to TAW!

I noticed your sig regarding your future patron saint - are you a catechumen?

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The only reasons one of the faithful must not partake are the following:

1. Murder.
2. Knowingly teaching heresy in public.
3. Apostasy (this includes but is not limited to taking Communion or any other equivalent to a Holy Mystery in a non-Orthodox place of worship - whether it be Roman Catholic, Anglican, Methodist, Hindu, baptist, Sikh or whatever).
4. Adultery (actual adultery, not fornication or something).

This is an odd list. There are many other sins that will exclude you from communion until confessed and may even have some time of penance associated. #2 is odd because most laymen are not formally capable of doing this because they don't "know" enough to "knowingly" teach heresy. The caveat on #4 is especially puzzling, as fornication and adultery are both sins that must be confessed before restoration to communion and both, if you go by the manuals, have some period of excommunication associated with them, so I'm not sure on what basis you distinguish them.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟235,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Forgive me, I'm ignorant.

If someone commits fornication, which is considered sins of the flesh, wouldn't they have to go to confession before receiving the sacred mysteries? Or no?

I assume by adultery you mean a married person having sex with someone who isn't their spouse.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Forgive me, I'm ignorant.

If someone commits fornication, which is considered sins of the flesh, wouldn't they have to go to confession before receiving the sacred mysteries? Or no?

I assume by adultery you mean a married person having sex with someone who isn't their spouse.

Yes. Fornication removes one from communion automatically. One must confess in order to be restored.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums