May 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN
✟12,273.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Just a quick question for the evolutionists here:

Has anyone ever seen that show on the Discovery Channel or Animal Planet about what the future will be like from a scientific evolutionary standpoint? They have all sorts of weird creatures - from flishes to tortoises bigger than any dinosaur ever would've dreamed of being. On the new Earth, millions of years from now, hundreds of millions even, do you all think things will be like that or what? What do you believe the future will be like from an evolutionist POV?

EDIT: Might as well add a few more questions... ;)

- If we were created to worship God, then why would God delay u for billions of years? Even if time is meaningless to God or is quick to God, 4 billion > a few hundred thousand by a long shot.
- God could poof things into existence if He pleased - why wouldn't He?
- How are the 7 days interepreted? The fruit? The geneaolgy?
- Any good websites I could go to? Theistic Evolution simply doesn't make any sense to me in regards to the Bible - and how evolution is a theory.

EDIT 2! :p

- I was reading on AiG about the Hebrew time words, and was having a discussion with someone who said that she didn't mind the literal sense of the words in the context of Genesis. She said it was a mythopoetical poem....?

steen

Lie Detector
Jun 13, 2006
South Dakota
✟9,384.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AnomalousSilence said:

Has anyone ever seen that show on the Discovery Channel or Animal Planet about what the future will be like from a scientific evolutionary standpoint? They have all sorts of weird creatures - from flishes to tortoises bigger than any dinosaur ever would've dreamed of being. On the new Earth, millions of years from now, hundreds of millions even, do you all think things will be like that or what? What do you believe the future will be like from an evolutionist POV?
Ah yes. The one called "The future is wild." I see it generally as sensationalist claptrap. An interesting exercise is pure speculation. We, of course, have no way of making meaningful predictions into the future, and the more we got out in the future, the more wild imagination takes over.

That's one reason why I caution people from obtaining their knowledge of science from the popular media. because it MUST have entertainment value to succeed, and thus has to sacrifice accuracy and evidence.

It is like the "Naked Science" program, where some idea from generally 1-2 scientists are pushed with no regard for peer-review. It is about extrapolation outside of the evidence, it is not science.

But yes, it is great entertainment, and it holds close enough to scientific knowledge to at least have people thinking in those venues.

Upvote 0

random_guy

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
✟3,457.00
Faith
Christian
AnomalousSilence said:

I thought it was very interesting, but I saw it more as entertainment than science. The thing is, humans have only been around a few hundred thousand years (I think), and civilization is far younger. We're just a blink of an eye if you consider the history of life. However, whatever the future holds, I'm sure it'll be amazing. If humans disappeared from the face of the Earth, I wonder how long it would take before intelligent life shows up on Earth or if it would even reappear. What animal would be the intelligent life (I'm betting on some form of ape or monkey or dolphins)? It's fun to speculate, but I wouldn't read much into it. We can't forecast the weather for longer than a week, I don't ever see us predicting evolution for several million years.

Upvote 0

Melethiel

Miserere mei, Domine
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2005
Ohio
✟77,093.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
- If we were created to worship God, then why would God delay u for billions of years? Even if time is meaningless to God or is quick to God, 4 billion > a few hundred thousand by a long shot.

Time being meaningless means just that.

"Who can know the mind of God?"

Reactions: AureateDawn
Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
AnomalousSilence said:

I don't know. Maybe God's not on an ego trip?;)

Seriously, though I think it has to do with whether or not God created a real world (not a holodeck world) and whether God has respect for what he created. More on that in the next response.

Maybe because he didn't want us to think of creation as some sort of magic show. Maybe because he wanted us to take creation seriously, so he took creation seriously.

What do I mean by that? Ever hear of the Anthropic Priniciple? It's the idea that the universe was "fine-tuned" to support life, to be a place where we can live. It comes from the discoveries of physics about the fundamental particles/forces of the universe. If gravity had been a little stronger or a little weaker, the universe as we know it could not exist. If the electromagnetic force was a little stronger or weaker atoms would not hold together or interact as they do, and the universe as we know it could not exist. If an electron weighed a smidgeon more or less than it does, the same applies. Some other sort of universe might exist, but it would not be one we could live in. Only a universe in which electrons have the precise weight they do, where atoms can form, and gravity has the precise strength that it does is one we can live in.

Now these qualities of electrons and protons and gravity and light and so on came into existence with the initial formation of the universe. If God planned it that way, God made the universe liveable with us in mind right from the beginning, long before there was a solar system or a planet earth or anything living on it.

And if he then starts zonking the universe by poofing things into existence, he then undoes all this fine-tuning with each poof and renders the universe uninhabitable. And he has to set up the fine tuning all over again.

That doesn't make sense. It makes God look like a child who carefully builds a tower of blocks and then kicks it down.

I believe God shows respect for his own creation. He doesn't knock it in the teeth to add something new. Rather from the beginning he makes it in such a way that it will produce what he intends it to produce by using its fundamental particles and forces to make them.

Take atoms for example. The universe all on its own can only make the simplest of atoms: hydrogen and helium. But because God set gravity the way he did, hydrogen and helium can coalesce into stars. And stars, using hydrogen and helium as fuel for fission produce more complex atoms: like carbon, oxygen and iron. But it takes about 10 billion years to do this. Since these elements are necessary to life, you need a universe that is at least 10 billion years old for life to be possible.

You also need at least some of those stars to go supernova and produce really heavy elements like nickle and uranium. And you need a solar system with a second-generation sun that incorporates these heavier elements in its star and in its planets.

Why doesn't God poof things into existence? To show us he is not a whimsical child playing at creating. He is a wise God who plans for the future, who doesn't undo what he worked to create in the first place, who nurtures his creation rather than forcing it, and lets it unfold in its own time. Just as he lets trees grow at their own pace and blossoms take their own time to become fruit.

Because God nurtures creation instead of forcing it, we can also trust that he will nurture us. Because he made a universe that operates in predictable, reliable ways, we can trust that God is also reliable and worthy of our faith in him.

Long before science was developed, people needed to explain the world to themselves and the way they did it was to tell stories about the world and how it came to be. God himself is a story teller and he gave his chosen people a set of stories through which he taught them things they needed to know about himself. These stories (including the geneologies) were never intended to be scientific or historical records. They do, however, give us fundamental theological truth in a simple, easy-to-remember, easy-to-tell story form. The theological truth of the seven days, for example, is the importance of making sabbath a part of our life. It has nothing to do with the chronology of creation.

- Any good websites I could go to?

You might start here.

http://www.christianforums.com/t1133651-what-is-theistic-evolution-an-explanation.html

And then explore these.

http://www.theistic-evolution.com/
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dlamoure/
http://www.iscast.org.au/
http://www.cis.org.uk/
http://www.asa3.org/ASA/topics/Evolution/index.html

And if you would like a good book on the topic pick up a copy of "Finding Darwin's God" by Kenneth Miller.

Theistic Evolution simply doesn't make any sense to me in regards to the Bible - and how evolution is a theory.

Do you know what the word "theory" means to a scientist?

Evolution makes scientific sense, but you need to take time to study the science to see that.

A theology that accepts evolution also makes sense unless one is adamant that the creation accounts must be scientifically and historically factual. Nothing requires us to interpret the bible in that way. But again, it requires an open mind and some serious study to see that.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
AnomalousSilence said:
EDIT 2! :p

- I was reading on AiG about the Hebrew time words, and was having a discussion with someone who said that she didn't mind the literal sense of the words in the context of Genesis. She said it was a mythopoetical poem....?

She's right on the button.

Upvote 0

Marshall Janzen

Formerly known as Mercury
Jun 2, 2004
BC, Canada
Visit site
✟8,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AnomalousSilence said:
- If we were created to worship God, then why would God delay u for billions of years?
If Jesus was sent to deal with Adam's sin, then why did God delay for thousands of years?

Why didn't God poof Israel into existence when he wanted to create a nation?

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
AnomalousSilence said:

Haven't seen the show.

I have no idea what will happen. It will depend partially on what we do; if we bring about substantial climate changes, that will affect development. We are a major influence on our environment.

I would describe the show as pure sensationalism. No one knows these kinds of things, but if you've got a special effects budget and a few bucks, you can find someone to speculate and present it without much context.

So what?

I mean, really. What does God care how long it takes?

I can say this: I do not always create things the fastest way I can. Sometimes I take my time and enjoy the act of creation itself.

I don't know.

God could give us all an ice cream cone every day. God doesn't.

Do we talk about this claim weakening God, or do we try to learn about God's character from this observed reality?

Lots of different ways. I interpret the entire first few chapters as pure myth; they are stories about the character of God and our relationship with God, and are not accounts of events at all. I don't really have an opinion about, or care about, the genealogy.

- Any good websites I could go to? Theistic Evolution simply doesn't make any sense to me in regards to the Bible - and how evolution is a theory.

The word "theory" in a scientific context is pretty different from the layman's usage. It's like the difference between a Christian theologian talking about "pride" and a parent talking about how she's "proud" of her child.

Gravity and Newtonian mechanics are "theories".

Seems reasonable enough. It's certainly structured like a poem, with patterned repetition and good use of language.

As a friend says, "God is not a liar, but God is a poet." God sometimes says things to people which are expressive rather than literal. When God speaks of rooms and mansions, this may not refer to actual structures with walls and doorways; it might be a metaphor.

The creation story of the Hebrews is very similar in some respects to the creation story of the Babylonians, and massively different in some other respects. The emphasis, I think, is on God's character. In the Babylonian myth, the world is created through violence between multiple gods. In the Hebrew story, the world is created by will by a single God. No violence is involved.

As a story about our relationship with God, it is excellently informative. As history, it is rambling, incoherent, and contrary to observed facts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Markus6

Veteran
Jul 19, 2006
Houston
✟22,034.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AnomalousSilence said:
Firstly, if God poofed us into existance in 6 days, and that is scientifically provable, then there is no room for faith, no other option, and no choice. For me this existence is about making a choice, and to make a choice there has to be an alternative. Right now the main alternative is atheism and, for that alternative to be viable, the universe must be possible without a creator.

Secondly, God gave us science. He gave us curious minds and a world of scientific laws to study and use. Evolution is there for us to investigate, study and get closer to God by looking into his works.

Upvote 0

Gus2009

Jul 20, 2006
✟15,346.00
Faith
Baptist
AnomalousSilence said:
- If we were created to worship God, then why would God delay u for billions of years? Even if time is meaningless to God or is quick to God, 4 billion > a few hundred thousand by a long shot.-

Seeing as how God exists for eternity past, this question seems somewhat strange. You could always ask why God didnt make us "sooner", no matter how far back you go. Or maybe what i just said wouldnt be viewing God correctly, seeing as how he exist outside of time. Regardless, even then, time is of no issue to God. Why didnt God just make the ark for Noah, instead of telling him to go to all the trouble and time of building one? It wouldve been quicker. I suppose God just doesnt work that way.

Upvote 0

Redneck Crow

Too many unicorns.....
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
✟176,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
AnomalousSilence said:

We aren't the only ones God created. Remember the angels? Plus there was that nasty business where 1/3 or so of His angels rebelled. Perhaps He wanted to deal with that. Perhaps not. We simply don't know why He chose a particular timeframe.

There's no doubt in my mind that God could have created us instantly if He chose to do so. There's no question in my mind that He did create us. What I like to try to figure out is how He created us. The evidence I have seen suggests that He did not do it in 7 literal days.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.