NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most people talk about good deeds and faith, and how faith without works is dead. Well, is it possible for a profess Christian to do good deeds without faith?

A professing Christian without faith is just a cultural Christian (i.e. Christianity is just their default religion, but not really anything but a check mark on a census form for them).

Cultural Christian do good deeds, but their deeds are done to glorify themselves.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most people talk about good deeds and faith, and how faith without works is dead. Well, is it possible for a profess Christian to do good deeds without faith?

Hi Jesse,

My answer would be 'yes'.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Faith and works are different issues. If you are a Christian you already have a certain level of faith. It took faith to believe in Christ. Works or good deeds is also done by non Christians. However when we put out faith in Christ the purpose of our works should be to glorify Him, and to live a life led by the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Dan61861

7 days without God, makes one weak.
Jul 21, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
✟102,026.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Faith and works are different issues. If you are a Christian you already have a certain level of faith. It took faith to believe in Christ. Works or good deeds is also done by non Christians. However when we put out faith in Christ the purpose of our works should be to glorify Him, and to live a life led by the Holy Spirit.

Excellent post brother...

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Theologically speaking, no.

That is to say good deeds produce goodness. They do show mercy or make bad things right. In a certain sense, such acts are "good" because of what they accomplish.

But in any discussion of faith and works, no.

Works performed by people who are "on the outs" with God do not warm him up to them because they did such things. They do not earn merit towards salvation.

When you say "profess Christian" who still somehow doesn't have faith, I think of a nominal Christian only, one in name only. So, I am not considering him any different from a professed non-believer for purposes of answering your question.

Upvote 0