Question

• Thread starter MissKittyFantastico
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MissKittyFantastico

I just wanted to say that just because a doctor is considered 'best' in their field doesn't mean that they have one iota of respect for unborn life.

Do you have local Billings instructor that you could contact to see if they know of a pro-life/ NFP only doctor in your area?

The reason that this is important is because there is a tradition in the ob/gyn world to give the pill as a panacea for EVERYTHING. It is treated as the magic answer for all kinds of complaints- without investigating further as to the root cause. It's like prescribing ibuprofen for recurrent headaches...the headaches go away, but the tumor causing them isn't found. The Pill is a treatemnt of symptoms and not an actual cure of the cause of the symptoms. To me - that seems seriously problematic. Doctors who are committed to not prescribing the pill are going to seek out the root cause of your symptoms and try to fix that, rather than merely treating the symptoms of the problem.

That is very true...
I haven't asked my NFP instructor about Dr's, that is a very good idea.

I am going to put my foot down about the pill, there is no way i will go on it. I will go to as many gynos as i need to, to get one that will actually help me fix this.

Its just so frustrating, people think you are mad for not wanting to go on the pill. They also don't believe you when you tell them you aren't sexually active. It really makes me mad! grrrrrr....

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

That is very true...

I am going to put my foot down about the pill, there is no way i will go on it. I will go to as many gynos as i need to, to get one that will actually help me fix this.

Its just so frustrating, people think you are mad for not wanting to go on the pill. They also don't believe you when you tell them you aren't sexually active. It really makes me mad! grrrrrr....
LOL! I can relate...my OB now won't ask me about contraception, as he knows my answer...but everytime after you have a baby one of the first questions the nurses and doctors ask is "What kind of contraception will you be using?" Then they ridicule you for saying NFP- or when I was youner, abstinence.

Blessedly my OB now- while not Catholic- has a bunch of kids and never cautions me against having more or getting pregnant again. He is always thrilled when I show up and I am pregnant again. Minutes after I had Andy- he said "Ooohh- it makes me want to have another!" (They have 5 kids 1o and down). That is such an immense blessing to have a doctor like that. However- a several years ago I was having pain, which I thought might be a cyst and he was going to put me on the pill. I explained that as a Catholic that wasn't an option...he was amazed- saying that all his other Catholic patients went on the pill. I explained why it wasn't considered okay- and told him I would double check with my priest. When I came back assuring him that the pill was not an option- he sent me for some tests to figure out what was causing the pain. Turns out it was a digestion issue and not related at all to my reproductive system.

Upvote 0

helenofbritain

St Mary MacKillop of the Cross, pray for us
Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Digestion problems not reproductive problems? Heck, it just goes to show what a little investigating can throw up! Go RoseofLima!!

I had a similar contraceptive experience at my 6 week check following the births of my son and daughter. With Angus I wasn't married, so when I said "abstinence" my doctor (who is actually my second cousin-by-marriage) snorted and said "that's not going to work." I said fine, Billings (just to keep her happy.) SHe said "you know that doesn't always work." I was flabbergasted. It only occured to me half an hour later, when I had left, to say "neither are condoms!" Sigh.

But when Anna was born my midwife, who is an absolute legend, was cool about Billings, as was my new and improved GP. Thank heavens for small mercies.

Upvote 0

helenofbritain

St Mary MacKillop of the Cross, pray for us
Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

They also don't believe you when you tell them you aren't sexually active. It really makes me mad! grrrrrr....
:amen:

Onya MissKitty!! I'm so proud of you!! :hug:

Does Marie really exist in the real world enough to know aobut good doctors? I'd ask Jane (I can give you her number). Mum says she's the person to ask about ANYTHING related to this... she's always doing research. And she's had 6 kids, and 6 ceasars, so she's probably already knows a good doctor.

Ask my sister about them not believing her about being a virgin after the whole collapsed-and-heamoraging-at-Assisi's-house thing. Quite an experience, I hear...

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ask my sister about them not believing her about being a virgin after the whole collapsed-and-heamoraging-at-Assisi's-house thing. Quite an experience, I hear...

I am so shocked at how lightly they took your sister Helen! They kept telling her she was having a miscarriage, she's single and she's one of the most dedicated virgins I know. How can a doctor just dismiss someone like that, without looking into it a little further? After six weeks of bleeding she still had not had an ultrasound, and she collapsed at my house from her blood loss. :mad:

I know a quite a few people (me included) who have been told they have had a miscarriage when they were still virgins. :doh:

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Guys, i am going to see the gyno tomorrow morning at 9am, so i was wondering if you would be able to pray for me???
Also that the Dr will be open to treatments other than the pill.

I am really worried about what he is going to say...

Thanks!!!

:crossrc: We're praying! If he starts to be pushy give me a call and I'll put the fear of hell into him:cool:. There are alternative treatments, he has to offer these to you.

Natural Progesterone seems like a good option in your case. From American Life League:
There are several alternatives to the use of the birth control pill:
  • Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (or NSAIDS) of which Ibuprofen is the most commonly known. Ibuprofen acts to actually stop the production of those pain-causing compounds we saw earlier: prostaglandins. A typical prescription dose is 600-800 mg. three times daily. Taken during menstruation this will be beneficial for most women. It is as simple as taking 3-4 Advil three times daily during menstruation.
  • Natural progesterone given cooperatively with a woman's cycle may actually reduce the amount of pain and bleeding a woman has in any cycle by supporting her body with natural progesterone, just like her body produces in the second half of her monthly cycle. This hormone is available everywhere by prescription in the form of a product called Prometrium. This natural hormone has NONE of the risks of birth control pills and actually makes most women feel better as opposed to most women getting ill with their first few cycles of birth control pills. For women charting their cycles with NFP (Natural Family Planning) this is given Peak + 3 through Peak + 12 at 200 mg. taken by mouth at night before retiring. This will help to oppose the effects of estrogen that may be building up the lining of a woman's uterus excessively, thereby reducing the cramping at menstruation. Natural progesterone is also a smooth muscle relaxant having direct effects on the smooth muscles of the uterus reducing their contractions and thereby decreasing the pain. Again, there are NO KNOWN risks or complications with the use of natural progesterone. The product Prometrium is in a Peanut oil base and so women allergic to peanuts cannot use Prometrium and may need a pharmacist to compound a progesterone capsule for them without peanut oil elements.
  • Supplemental calcium at about 1,000 mg. per day (use a chelated form- it is more absorbable) is also helpful to decrease smooth muscle contractions. This can be taken every day along with other supplemental vitamins a woman may take. It is safe through pregnancy as well.
  • Flax Seed Oil at about 1,000 mg. day may also be helpful. Flax Seed Oil is a good source of Essential Fatty Acids (EFA's) which are probably deficient in modern diets. These EFA's are necessary for the production of the body's hormones in both men and women and they may be able to boost a woman's hormone levels that are deficient and causing various cycle abnormalities including pain and abnormal bleeding.
  • Diet and exercise cannot be emphasized enough and should be at the top of the list but these are usually the last things a patient wants to hear from their doctor. I encourage women to read Marilyn Shannon's excellent book: Fertility Cycles and Nutrition as a good primer in this area. I also encourage my patients to engage in regular exercise at least 30-40 minutes 4-5 times per week. The research is very clear that exercise reduces pain in chronic pain states, decreases anxiety, burns fat and promotes a general sense of well-being. Regular exercise should become as important a part of our routine as prayer.

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Apparently you can have phone appointments with doctors from the Pope Paul VI Institute. If you go to this site and scroll down to the bottom, on the left hand side is the contact us info.

http://www.popepaulvi.com/

Solving problems like yours is the main purpose of the Institute. They may be able to recommend a more specific treatment. You would be able to catch them later on tonight I would think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.