Question

• Thread starter MissKittyFantastico
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MissKittyFantastico

Hi everyone,
I need some of you very knowledgeable people to help me out, if you can.

I have just found out that i have a lesion in my uterus, it causes LOTS AND LOTS of pain. Sometimes it is so bad that all i can do is lie in bed with a hot water bottle.

I have been to the doctor and he is sending me to a gyno, which is happening this month.
The doctor said that there may be a few options, but we will have to see. The one that he seemed most likely to want me to do was to go on the pill. I really don't want to do this for lots of reasons; i have been on it before and it really screws with your insides, and i am getting married in July.

My question is:
If for health reasons i had to go back on the pill, once i was married would i have to abstain from sex with my husband, so that i was not using a 'contraceptive'?
Or could i be on the pill and use NFP as if i wasn't and avoid sex when i am fertile?

I have very strong beliefs about contraception and i really don't want to be unintentionally sinning in this way.

I am going to do everything in my power to make sure that i don't have to go onto the pill again, but there is only so much i can do.

Thanks heaps!!

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, with the pill, you may get breakthrough ovulation at any time and natural family planning in your sitution could be pretty much impossible. You may inadvertantly causing abortions by not allowing a fertilized egg to implant, so I would not recommend that route. This means that if you go on the pill when you are married, you would have to abstain from sex in order to avoid causing abortions. The Catholic church gives you no other options at this time, if you are taking the pill. It is not a sin to take the pill for medical reasons, but to have sex when on the pill puts you at risk for causing abortions.

But on the other hand, what is the lesion on your uterus? Is it endometriosis or a fibroid tumor? Have you considered a surgical option? Most gynecologists that I know are willing to work with women that wish to preserve fertility, they don't just hand you the pill and say oh well. Find out what all of your options are and get a second/Third opinion if necessary. Make the doctors work for you, and don't just do what they say.

Upvote 0

BrRichSFO

Aug 29, 2006
✟16,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi everyone,
I need some of you very knowledgeable people to help me out, if you can.

I have just found out that i have a lesion in my uterus, it causes LOTS AND LOTS of pain. Sometimes it is so bad that all i can do is lie in bed with a hot water bottle.

I have been to the doctor and he is sending me to a gyno, which is happening this month.
The doctor said that there may be a few options, but we will have to see. The one that he seemed most likely to want me to do was to go on the pill. I really don't want to do this for lots of reasons; i have been on it before and it really screws with your insides, and i am getting married in July.

My question is:
If for health reasons i had to go back on the pill, once i was married would i have to abstain from sex with my husband, so that i was not using a 'contraceptive'?
Or could i be on the pill and use NFP as if i wasn't and avoid sex when i am fertile?

I have very strong beliefs about contraception and i really don't want to be unintentionally sinning in this way.

I am going to do everything in my power to make sure that i don't have to go onto the pill again, but there is only so much i can do.

Thanks heaps!!
To take medication that has unintentional contraceptive side effects for a medical condition which has no other treatment is not sinful. I would be best to practice NFP at the same time so that there is no unintentional pregnancy and chemical abortion.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

To take medication that has unintentional contraceptive side effects for a medical condition which has no other treatment is not sinful. I would be best to practice NFP at the same time so that there is no unintentional pregnancy and chemical abortion.
You can't practice NFP while taking the Pill- as the pill masks fertility indicators. The issue with the pill is that it causes abortions- and is not a licit option unless there is abstinence.

Have you looked at www.omsoul.com or www.aaplog.com to see if there is a physician close to you who might choose a different route to treatment other than the pill?

Upvote 0

MaideninWaiting

Jan 10, 2007
✟8,056.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi MissKittyFantastico,

My sister-in-law is going through the very same thing at this time. And she too didn't want to go on the pill for the same reasons as you. She did receive some kind of medication as an alternative, but I can't remember what it was. Whatever it is, it didn't seem to help, as she is still having really bad pains in her stomache. She has a doctor's appointment today for the doctor's to examine further and see what else they can do. So if you'd like, I can pass on any helpful information to you.

In Christ,
Bridgette

Upvote 0

MaideninWaiting

Jan 10, 2007
✟8,056.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, I got some information wrong. She actually did end up using the birth control pills in the end because that's all they could offer her at the time to help. But the pills didn't do anything to help. She's been scheduled to go into surgery in the next couple of weeks because it sounds like her problems are being caused by the lining of her uterus.

It may be a different situation than yours, but it wouldn't hurt to check out that possibility. Either way, I'll be praying for you.

In Christ,
Bridgette

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I fail to see how the pill would do anything to solve a lesion on the uterus. This implies some type of abrasion vs. tissue growth or fluid. I have a couple of small fibroids but the pill would not necessarily help. If you're problem is hormonal, there may be other more natural ways to deal with it. But I do wonder if the lesion could cause a problem if you got pregnant and that is a consideration. I'm with "Bought", in that maybe you can be treated with some type of surgery to preserve your fertility but resolve your issue without synthetic drugs. Check out all your options before going on the pill.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

helenofbritain

St Mary MacKillop of the Cross, pray for us
Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You can't practice NFP while taking the Pill- as the pill masks fertility indicators. The issue with the pill is that it causes abortions- and is not a licit option unless there is abstinence.

Have you looked at www.omsoul.com or www.aaplog.com to see if there is a physician close to you who might choose a different route to treatment other than the pill?
MissKitty is in Australia, Rose (as am I). But the first link is great. Thanks!

Upvote 0
M

MissKittyFantastico

yeah, i'm thinking its the way to go so that we don't unintentionally sin in any way.
But it is going to be so hard to be newly married and not able to have sex... But i would rather do that than the alternative.

So you reckon Fr Maurie is the one to talk to? What about Fr Brian?

Oh and my appointment is at 9am on the 14th, so next wednesday.

I am really hoping that we can fix this in a non pill way!!!

Upvote 0

helenofbritain

Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
yeah, i'm thinking its the way to go so that we don't unintentionally sin in any way.
But it is going to be so hard to be newly married and not able to have sex... But i would rather do that than the alternative.

So you reckon Fr Maurie is the one to talk to? What about Fr Brian?

Oh and my appointment is at 9am on the 14th, so next wednesday.

I am really hoping that we can fix this in a non pill way!!!
Fr Maurie has more spare time than Fr Brian. And if you're going to need ongoing advice it'd be better to have someone who isn't about to leave the parish :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

helenofbritain

Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
that is very true.
Is it ok to talk to Fr Maurie about it after Confession or am i best to wait til after a Mass sometime?
You could talk about in in confession! In between the confessing and the absolution part you can ask for 'spiritual direction' (which you can get about anything). But afterv Mass woul be fine too. If it's a bad time he will let you know :)

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

I just wanted to say that just because a doctor is considered 'best' in their field doesn't mean that they have one iota of respect for unborn life.

Do you have local Billings instructor that you could contact to see if they know of a pro-life/ NFP only doctor in your area?

The reason that this is important is because there is a tradition in the ob/gyn world to give the pill as a panacea for EVERYTHING. It is treated as the magic answer for all kinds of complaints- without investigating further as to the root cause. It's like prescribing ibuprofen for recurrent headaches...the headaches go away, but the tumor causing them isn't found. The Pill is a treatemnt of symptoms and not an actual cure of the cause of the symptoms. To me - that seems seriously problematic. Doctors who are committed to not prescribing the pill are going to seek out the root cause of your symptoms and try to fix that, rather than merely treating the symptoms of the problem.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.