Question: "Well, you can tell the Great Fast has started"????

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been hearing this phrase in TAW and on other online sources now for years when people get contentious, argumentative, upset, full of debate, fiery, snarky, whatever you want to call it....

People say, "well, you can tell the Great Fast has begun!"

Please don't judge me too harshly for asking, but, "HUH?"

Isn't a fast supposed to put us in a place of calm, introspection, meditation, focus, charity, an uplifted place where we empty ourselves of ego and contentiousness? Isn't the Fast about more than food, but also a change in us wherein we have GREATER patience?

I don't understand the phrase and readily admit I'm still a newbie. I'm not talking about anyone in particular in this thread, just a statement I've heard for a long time.

I feel great temptation during Great Lent, so perhaps this sentiment is related to people's temptations and failures being channeled into the forum? I don't know. Forgive me for asking if I seem judgmental. I'm truly just curious. I'm still learning myself.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
you are right that is where we are supposed to be, but since we are undertaking the Great Fast, the devil comes after us. new catechumens being recieved and the Church getting ready to celebrate the devils defeat often puts him in a more sour mood than he usually is in. so he comes after us.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,075.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Do you know Gurney - I think we all feel much the same.

Somehow during the Fast things seem to get under our skin far more.

Elsewhere a n00b appeared and has really upset the applecart telling us that all his philosophical and classical education allows him to tell us what we should know - snag is that every time he opens his mouth he shows how little he does know ! I finally flipped and told him that as it was the Fast [ about which, of course, he knows everything ] perhaps he would do better to post less and read more .

I can see my GodPapa's index finger rising to wag at me - Lord help me !

I really need to take care not to irritate him this week - lack of food makes him very volatile :(

It's the Fast - these things irritate us far more than usual.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, Greg, I was kind of thinking the same thing. But I don't want to judge. I'm under tons of temptation. Frankly, since day one of my chrismation, I constantly have second-guessed myself. I regularly feel like a guest in my parish and like an observer and like I'm outside my skin even though I AM chrismated and a parishioner. I have a lot of trouble "getting into it" so to speak. I get tired of the drive, find some things odd and not so helpful, get tired of the ethnic stuff, and certain people drive me cookoo.

But I keep plugging along. I often miss the old days before I was chrismated, I won't lie.

But these fasts make me even more tempted.....

However, in these times, behaviorally we're called to a higher plane. We're supposed to let our best nature shine in Christ during this time. And if fasts only bring out the worst in us, theoretically we should then GET RID of Great Lent! But we don't get rid of it, thankfully, because it's not meant to bring out our inner grump and warmonger, it's meant to bring out the saintly potential we all have.

I totally understand the sentiment of temptation and how hard this is, but I do think you're dead on. Maybe I'm wrong here? Wouldn't be the first time! LOL!

We need to take responsibility for our own actions, and not use the devil the Fast as an excuse.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,075.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Ah yes - I know what's meant there :D

the food threads - they will certainly come .

In fact there's a bottle of whisky sitting looking at me at present - and I could really do with a little of its contents !!

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It's why the Fast is a "struggle". It's hard. it exposes our weaknesses and our dependence upon the things of this earth. I'm having a very rough day and feeling extremely hungry because of the Fast right now. So yes, I'm irritable.

But that's also what brings me to prayer, to "Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner, for I am so weak!".

Mary

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,116.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
food threads?

It has almost become a TAW tradition that whenever we enter a period of fasting, someone will start a thread on all kinds of yummy foods that we are currently taking a break from. It's always a bit of fun, nothing to take seriously :)
As Anhelyna has already mentioned, alcohol usually finds its way in there as well.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
you are right that is where we are supposed to be, but since we are undertaking the Great Fast, the devil comes after us. .

Quite true. That's how you know the Great Fast has begun, because we are at each others throats.
The demons rage during this season and they are bolder. And they are bolder simply because this season now precedes carnivals and mardi gras and rio dijaneiro, the demons are energized more now than just a few centuries ago and they don't like withdrawal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0