"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dunno if this is the right place to post this. Marriage is still a sacred bond between two people even if one person does not believe in God. I wonder what people have done in relationships where their husband or wife does not believe in God, and how the relationship has turned out so far if your husband or wife is still abiding by the vow he or she made when he or she said "I do". If your husband or wife has come to believe in God, how long did that take? If your husband or wife still does not believe in God, what do you feel God is telling you on the matter and what role are you playing in your husband or wife's salvation? Also, how did you guys meet and why did you say "I do" when unequally yoking?

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I am married and ours is an "equal yoke." An equal yoke involves much more than whether or not someone believes in God. One lady from my church that I got to know extremely well a few years ago is in a marriage where she is a believer and her husband is not. She was raised in a Christian church, but as a teen and young adult she rebelled and lived for many years without Jesus. During that time, she met and married her husband. Her husband believes in God, but not in redemption through Jesus. It was after they had been married for a long time already that she was drawn to Jesus and accepted his gift of salvation. She has been a faithful servant ever since. However, she and her husband are still "equally yoked" in every other way and remain happily married. She prays every day for her husband to come to Jesus through her obedience to the word.

My husband and I are both believers and share our faith. There are many ways we are an equal yoke, and the longer we are married, the more equally yoked we become; however, there are some key ways that I do not believe we would have been equally yoked had we married young and had children. I think we would have had many challenges getting on the same page with certain things.

I see that you are single. When you are considering someone as a potential spouse, your equal yoke should include the same faith, but it should also include mutual respect for each other's individuality. It should include both of you accepting influence from each other, turning toward each other as your best friend, valuing each other's opinions and beliefs even / especially when they are different than your own. An equal yoke should also include your style of conflict management and problem solving, etc. The most important is that you share faith, though, so that when all those other things are not the same, you have the same Jesus to turn to for prayer...

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many choose to marry someone unequally yolked hoping to bring them to Christ. But thats not a good idea. The bible speaks about that. And most of those people who are still waiting either end up getting left by the spouse (or they do it) or they just are unhappy in their marriage. It doesn't mean God can't change them of course. It just means many think they are different then those other couples and think they can actually save their spouse. So they marry for that reason and realize soon enough it was a bad idea. Not to mention there will be TONS of fights since you have differing views on things. And they can influence your walk with God just as you may do to them. Marriage aside I had a best friend who was a hardcore atheist. I though I was influencing him but turns out he was doing far more damage to me instead. I was becoming toxic. Swearing all the time, watching bad things and distanced from God. I'm glad hes out of my life because I am back on track now.

Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am married and ours is an "equal yoke." An equal yoke involves much more than whether or not someone believes in God. One lady from my church that I got to know extremely well a few years ago is in a marriage where she is a believer and her husband is not. She was raised in a Christian church, but as a teen and young adult she rebelled and lived for many years without Jesus. During that time, she met and married her husband. Her husband believes in God, but not in redemption through Jesus. It was after they had been married for a long time already that she was drawn to Jesus and accepted his gift of salvation. She has been a faithful servant ever since. However, she and her husband are still "equally yoked" in every other way and remain happily married. She prays every day for her husband to come to Jesus through her obedience to the word.

My husband and I are both believers and share our faith. There are many ways we are an equal yoke, and the longer we are married, the more equally yoked we become; however, there are some key ways that I do not believe we would have been equally yoked had we married young and had children. I think we would have had many challenges getting on the same page with certain things.

I see that you are single. When you are considering someone as a potential spouse, your equal yoke should include the same faith, but it should also include mutual respect for each other's individuality. It should include both of you accepting influence from each other, turning toward each other as your best friend, valuing each other's opinions and beliefs even / especially when they are different than your own. An equal yoke should also include your style of conflict management and problem solving, etc. The most important is that you share faith, though, so that when all those other things are not the same, you have the same Jesus to turn to for prayer...

Thank you for sharing this! Personally I'm not yet considering anyone for marriage, but these are just questions I've been ruminating over especially with the last few posts we've had on this part of the forum. I like how you make the distinguishment between just having belief in God and the equality of the yoke. In the church I grew up in there were lots of women who would come to church without their husbands, who were either not believers or lax about it, but still supportive of their wives (dropping them off and picking them up from church, etc.) I also like how you say the longer you are married the more equally yoked you become, that is a really nice example. It is amazing when people are able to share their faith together and build a marriage and weather storms together. I think of good examples that I've seen of this and unfortunately they are not common, but when they are seen it is just so beautiful :)

Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many choose to marry someone unequally yolked hoping to bring them to Christ. But thats not a good idea. The bible speaks about that. And most of those people who are still waiting either end up getting left by the spouse (or they do it) or they just are unhappy in their marriage. It doesn't mean God can't change them of course. It just means many think they are different then those other couples and think they can actually save their spouse. So they marry for that reason and realize soon enough it was a bad idea. Not to mention there will be TONS of fights since you have differing views on things. And they can influence your walk with God just as you may do to them. Marriage aside I had a best friend who was a hardcore atheist. I though I was influencing him but turns out he was doing far more damage to me instead. I was becoming toxic. Swearing all the time, watching bad things and distanced from God. I'm glad hes out of my life because I am back on track now.

You make such a good point! As God was working in my life to bring me closer to Him, He began to sweep out of my life the people who did not believe in God. I now see that there is a huge difference between people who do believe in God and people who do not, the way we live our lives and our thought processes are just like the difference between night and day. Some people just in boyfriend girlfriend relationships also do the same thing of getting into the relationship thinking they can bring the person closer to God (I've had a bit of this myself), but it's true that the other person will bring you down, whether it's just a friendship or more, until God removes that person from your life and you see how things begin to change. I'm quite glad to hear you are back on track now, praise God :)

Upvote 0