Mar 5, 2003
Central New York
Visit site
✟26,728.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think I understand the church's teaching on this, but I want to make sure.

Say we go to confession and confess our sins but do not feel remorse, in other words, do not believe in our hearts that our specific sin is truly sin.

Now, the priest has the power through the Apostolic succession to forgive our sins. It is my understanding though, that since we did not truly recognize that our sin was sin, feel remorse, and truly repent, then we are not truly forgiven even though the priest says that we are.

Is this correct?

I hope so!

In Christ,

Willis

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
A person must have contrition (sorrow) for his sins and resolve not to sin again:

CCC 1451 Among the penitent's acts contrition occupies first place. Contrition is "sorrow of the soul and detestation for the sin committed, together with the resolution not to sin again."

Can. 987 To receive the salvific remedy of the sacrament of penance, a member of the Christian faithful must be disposed in such a way that, rejecting sins committed and having a purpose of amendment, the person is turned back to God.

Reactions: Ave Maria
Upvote 0

King of the Nations

Apr 22, 2005
✟5,186.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
I think I understand the church's teaching on this, but I want to make sure.

Say we go to confession and confess our sins but do not feel remorse, in other words, do not believe in our hearts that our specific sin is truly sin.

Now, the priest has the power through the Apostolic succession to forgive our sins. It is my understanding though, that since we did not truly recognize that our sin was sin, feel remorse, and truly repent, then we are not truly forgiven even though the priest says that we are.

Is this correct?

I hope so!

In Christ,

Willis
Mmmmmbasically, yeah.

As Carrye noted, sorrow for sin must be present.

However, it should also be noted that there are varying degees of sorrow, from "perfect" (or 100% sorry) to "imperfect" (or 99% all the way down to 1% sorry). As long as one is even "1%" sorry for what they've done, they are granted pardon. (In a case like this, the "after effects" of sin just take longer to remedy.)

Make sense?

So, if someone goes to confession with "0%" sorrow in their hearts for what they've done, you're right. Even though the words of the priest possess an efficacy of their own, nothing happens in this situation. At best, the person is not absolved. At worst, they add the sin of sacrilege to what's already on their souls.

Greg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.