Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not sure I understand why CS Lewis wrote the things he did, it seemed like he was christian but then he wrote about lions and witches and wardrobes.

i remmeber seeing this movie as a child and I did not think it was actually christian. It was more fairy tale. Actually it scared me a bit when I was young because it suggested that wardrobes could be portals to this other world.

Later when I became a christian CS Lewis writings didnt make much senese either. It seemed he was advocating anglicanism as a religion rather than actually being born again.

I tried to read 'mere christianity' but nothing registered, just seemed like an out of date apologetic for religion. Screwtape letters seemed to glorify demons. I did not enjoy reading the screwtape letters, I thought, very clever, but no gospel in it.

What do other people think? Anybody actually know him personally? Why was he writing about witches etc when we are meant to avoid all appearance of evil? I would not say chronicles of narnia are christian. Its fantasy, with twisted elements of christianity in it.

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would not say chronicles of narnia are christian. Its fantasy, with twisted elements of christianity in it.

The Chronicles of Narnia are children's books and a wonderful introduction to the Gospel. I first heard the Lion, the witch and the wardrobe (my favourite) at school and re-read it as an adult. Other books in the series I only read when I was an adult.

The story of the Lion, the witch and the wardrobe is;
4 children discover another country, another world, in their wardrobe.
2 of them had already discovered it and been there before. Lucy met some nice people; Edmund met up with the glamourous white queen, who was actually a witch, who seemed to be nice, gave him his favourite sweet and gained his loyalty. She promised to give him more sweets if he obeyed her. (Tempted to follow the wrong person because she appeared to be nice.)
Later, the children learnt that the witch ruled this country, called Narnia, that's why it was always winter. The witch might seem nice, even glamourous, but if you made her angry she turned people into stone. There was someone called Aslan who was good, kind and strong and could deal with the witch - she hated to hear his name and was scared of him. (Aslan stronger than evil.)
While they were being told this, Edmund left them and went off to meet the witch. He told her that his brothers and sisters were all in Narnia, (she had claimed she wanted to meet them). She asked him to get them to a certain place. She referred to the children as sons of Adam and daughters of Eve, and said that there was an ancient prophecy which they would fulfil. The witch wanted to prevent them from fulfilling this prophecy and planned to turn them all into stone.
While Edmund was talking with the witch the others had met Aslan, talked with him and been given certain gifts that would be useful to them later on. They all went looking for Edmund, to rescue him from the witch, and instead found the witches castle where hundreds of animals and people had been turned to stone. Aslan breathed on them and brought them to life again, then he, the children and this whole army went to find the witch and Edmund.
Edmund, by this time, was tied up, was the witches prisoner and realised how nasty she was; he couldn't escape.
The witch made a bargain with Aslan and said she would release him if Aslan became her prisoner instead. Aslan agreed; the witch tied him up, they shaved all his fur off and killed him.
Aslan had died so that Edmund could be set free from the power of the witch.
Three days later, while the witch was still gloating and the children still miserable, they saw Aslan again. He HAD died but was now alive.
Edmund told Aslan how sorry he was, joined his side and everyone went off to find the witch - whose power was already weakening, the snow was melting and spring was coming. (Power of evil defeated by Aslan.)
There was a fierce battle. Many were wounded but Aslan and the children, with their special gifts, healed and restored them. The witch was finally defeated, spring arrived and the 4 children, helped, guided and supported by Aslan, fulfilled their destiny and ruled as kings and queens.

Aslan = God
Witch = the devil.
The witch tempted someone by appearing to be something she was not (nice) and held him prisoner. He was only released from her power because Aslan swapped places with him and died in his place. Aslan was killed but came alive again, the power of the witch was weakened and she was finally defeated in battle.

Sounds Christian to me.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure I understand why CS Lewis wrote the things he did, it seemed like he was christian but then he wrote about lions and witches and wardrobes.

i remmeber seeing this movie as a child and I did not think it was actually christian. It was more fairy tale. Actually it scared me a bit when I was young because it suggested that wardrobes could be portals to this other world.

Later when I became a christian CS Lewis writings didnt make much senese either. It seemed he was advocating anglicanism as a religion rather than actually being born again.

I tried to read 'mere christianity' but nothing registered, just seemed like an out of date apologetic for religion. Screwtape letters seemed to glorify demons. I did not enjoy reading the screwtape letters, I thought, very clever, but no gospel in it.

What do other people think? Anybody actually know him personally? Why was he writing about witches etc when we are meant to avoid all appearance of evil? I would not say chronicles of narnia are christian. Its fantasy, with twisted elements of christianity in it.
It's called a "metaphor". Aslan is Christ.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
But aslan is a lion, not a lamb.
If you read the bible, the lamb of God is Jesus and the devouring lion is the devil, prowling around seeking whom he may devour.

CS Lewis switches this around, making what seems like a christian story but making the devil out to be God. If you read Revelation there is a part where the beast seems to be killed but comes alive again, a counterfeit to the lamb.

He also does the same with screwtape letters, making out that wormtongue or the uncle or whoever is writing the letters to be greater than God and having more power.

I find that very disturbing, and never thought that CS Lewis was actually christian when I read it. I know people said he was, but I thought it was subtle that he switched things around and glorified the dark side more than the true light of the world. Its like the new age masquerading evil as good.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If you read the bible, the lamb of God is Jesus and the devouring lion is the devil, prowling around seeking whom he may devour.

CS Lewis switches this around, making what seems like a christian story but making the devil out to be God. If you read Revelation there is a part where the beast seems to be killed but comes alive again, a counterfeit to the lamb.

He also does the same with screwtape letters, making out that wormtongue or the uncle or whoever is writing the letters to be greater than God and having more power.

I find that very disturbing, and never thought that CS Lewis was actually christian when I read it. I know people said he was, but I thought it was subtle that he switched things around and glorified the dark side more than the true light of the world. Its like the new age masquerading evil as good.
Don't over think it.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
'Sounds christian' but isn't actually christian.

Thats what CS Lewis is like. I would pick up his book and wonder, ok, why is it called 'Mere Christianity'?! And then its just one big lecture on how you can find religion.

I think people like it because its not threatening their worldview the way the Bible can - the word of God is quick and powerful. But someone else's idea on how to be a christian is more important than the Bible? Esp if that someone had gone to oxford and was educated?

Sometimes when ppl mention C.S. Lewis its like he's an apostle or something, but...I just find that as far as theology goes, you might as well just read the Bible.

Reactions: Luke17:37
Upvote 0

Victory of the Cross

Jesus is the Word of God
Mar 3, 2005
✟41,510.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged

Jesus is referred to as the lion of the tribe of judah, CS Lewis had a far greater understanding of what it meant to follow Christ than 90% of modern day christian leaders, and narnia is a better representation of the Gospel that sadly most churches preach.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The lion is the king of animals. At one point in the story, it is said that Aslan is the king.

CS Lewis switches this around, making what seems like a christian story but making the devil out to be God.

No he doesn't.
Peter said that the devil is LIKE a roaring lion. In Scripture, Satan is more often depicted as a dragon, or a serpent. That doesn't mean that he actually IS any of these things. It's a metaphor; an illustration.

Again, no he doesn't.
The Screwtape letters is written from the point of view of demons. So "the enemy" is God and "our Father below" is the devil.
He writes of the ways in which demons try to stop people from experiencing God and his love - making them question the Bible, feel irritated with people in church, making their minds wander during prayer. God wins in the end and the devil defeated.
It's fiction but it's actually very clever.

No, CS Lewis was a Christian and theologian.
He does not glorify evil; the devil never wins.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
'Sounds christian' but isn't actually christian.

Thats what CS Lewis is like.

No, CS Lewis was a Christian.

I think people like it because its not threatening their worldview the way the Bible can - the word of God is quick and powerful. But someone else's idea on how to be a christian is more important than the Bible? Esp if that someone had gone to oxford and was educated?

No, but I don't think CS Lewis ever claimed that his writings were the only way to God and should replace the Bible.

Sometimes when ppl mention C.S. Lewis its like he's an apostle or something, but...I just find that as far as theology goes, you might as well just read the Bible.

You can say that about anyone; no one's writings or opinions are more important than Scripture. CS Lewis was someone whose writings appeal to a number of people; that's all. Personally I find that his adult books I've looked at, with the exception of the Screwtape letters, are too learned and not for me. But I can't deny he appeals to, has taught and helped many in their faith.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was reading a site where someone was badly affected by the witchcraft shown in lion, witch and the wardrobe. I think christians should stay away from occult writing like that.

I have doubts about his profession thats all.

Also the King of Kings is the lamb of God, NOT the lion.

Making out God to be the devil is not only fiction, its an abomination.

Cs lewis word against the Word of God? Jesus triumphs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being clever cuts no ice with me..Im just not impressed by his writing and I think it can lead others astray if they dont know their Bible.

Well if you don't like his writings, you don't like them; we're all different.
People have been led to faith, or started considering Christian matters, because of his books. But if they're not for you, then don't worry about it and find an author who is.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was reading a site where someone was badly affected by the witchcraft shown in lion, witch and the wardrobe. I think christians should stay away from occult writing like that.

You can always find someone who will be affected by, or strongly react to, something.
C.S Lewis did not produce occultic writing - but if that is how you regard it, there's probably nothing anyone can say to convince you otherwise.

I have doubts about his profession thats all.

That's probably a personal thing.

Also the King of Kings is the lamb of God, NOT the lion.

As someone has correctly pointed out, Jesus is the Lion of Judah.

Making out God to be the devil is not only fiction, its an abomination.

He didn't make God to be the devil.
In the Screwtape letters, the demons refer to the devil as "our father below". Demons are under authority to Satan and, for all I know, worship him. Demons hate God and Christians and try to destroy the relationship he has with his children. The devil is the thief who came to steal and destroy - John 10:10 - and the Screwtape letters actually portrays this quite well.

Cs lewis word against the Word of God? Jesus triumphs.

ANYTHING triumphs against the word of God. But there's no need to pit one of these against the other. C.S Lewis was never in competition with Scripture.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I dont know why CS lewis is so revered when he couldnt even get a simple thing right and turned scripture into a fantasy in which everything is opposite.

He wrote lots of books but there doesnt seem to be any testimony of his christian walk....any works to show for his faith. Works meaning, whether he looked after orphans or the poor etc. as James mentions.

People can say they are christian and then make quite a living from it but I just question what made CS lewis so christian that people start quoting him above scripture. It just doesnt seem right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I do know he married someone who was genuinely born again named Joy but I dont know if he actually was, it just seemed like he turned to religion which is different from being born again.

I dont seem to get anything spiritually edifying from his writings, they just seem secular with christianese to me. Maybe its just me. But then others say they dont care for him either.

I think hes placed on a pedestal by others though..anyway. Just my thoughts.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

No, jesus isnt the lion of Judah.
He is the lamb, thats why people constantly get it wrong due to CS lewis influence.
Maybe this will help ....

Rev 5:5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.
Rev 5:6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain,

So we see that He is both the Lion of Judah and the Lamb who was slain. C.S.Lewis chose to use the image that portrays Him as King of Kings. Even though He is King of Kings and all powerful, He still chose to die as the slaughtered, meek, Lamb.

My oldest daughter gives The Chronicles of Narnia to every new baby that is born to friends and family, Christian or not. It's one of the ways that she shares the Gospel.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I dont know why CS lewis is so revered when he couldnt even get a simple thing right and turned scripture into a fantasy in which everything is opposite.
He didn't.
How many of his books have you actually read or are you basing all your opinions on his fictional writings and children's books?

He wrote lots of books but there doesnt seem to be any testimony of his christian walk....any works to show for his faith. Works meaning, whether he looked after orphans or the poor etc. as James mentions.

Have you ever read his biography or tried to find out about him?
Works don't save us.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do know he married someone who was genuinely born again named Joy but I dont know if he actually was, it just seemed like he turned to religion which is different from being born again.
Maybe you have already read The Pilgrim's Regress.....

In addition to his teaching duties at the University, Lewis began to publish books. His first major work, The Pilgrim's Regress (1933), was about his own spiritual journey to Christian faith.
http://www.factmonster.com/spot/narnia-lewis.html
http://www.factmonster.com/spot/narnia-lewisxan.html

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
No, jesus isnt the lion of Judah.
He is the lamb, thats why people constantly get it wrong due to CS lewis influence.

In both this thread and your other one you have insisted on these things in spite of several facts:

1) People don't read Jesus as being the Lion of Judah due to Lewis' works, Lewis' works depict the Christ figure (Aslan) as a lion because Jesus as the Lion of Judah has been an established understanding of Christianity for two thousand years, going back to the Revelation of St. John.

2) In spite of your protests, the Lion of the tribe of Judah is a reference to Christ. Not the devil. You have not presented any evidence to the contrary. Though you have made assertions in the other thread that the lamb was slain by the lion, which is not something in the text but something you made up in your own mind.

With all due respect, your personal feelings on these matters are irrelevant. Christ is both Lion and Lamb, He is the Lion of the tribe of Judah and the Lamb of God slain before the foundation of the world. He is both, Lion as the descendant of Judah through King David, and Lamb as He who gives up His life in sacrifice for our salvation.

Lewis didn't come up with this, Lewis is simply working from within two millennia of Christian teaching and language based solidly on biblical imagery. Whatever problems you might have with that are your own to work out--the rest of us don't have a problem with this because there is no problem.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0