Question: How many promises does God make in the Bible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherAtArms

Jul 28, 2005
✟17,086.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm trying to get information as to how many promises God makes through-out the Bible.
Mostly I just want to know the number, but it would also be really good if I could get a list of the promises.

I looked on search engines like Google and Askjeeves but just couldn't find anything useful.

Thanks, God Bless.
~BAA

G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Hi, I hope this helps.
God makes six beritim, or covenants, in the Bible.
1. The covenant with Adam, symbolized by the Sabbath, that promised Adam and all humanity continuity in the Garden and eternal life so long as they did not eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
2. The covenant with the Earth, mediated by Noah, symbolized by a rainbow, that promised God would never again destroy the whole land with water.
3. The covenant with Abraham, symbolized by circumcision, that makes Abraham's descendents through Isaac and Jacob the people of God forever, first as a nation (fulfilled in covenant 4), then as a name (or dynasty, fulfilled in covenant 5), and then as a worldwide community (fulfilled in covenant 6).
4. The covenant with Israel, mediated by Moses, symbolized by the Passover, that promised Israel may be a nation in the Promised Land as long as they keep the Law.
5. The covenant with David, symbolized by the throne of David, that promise David an eternal house- house meaning both dynasty (the Davidic line, through Solomon, that gave birth to the eternal Christ) and temple (first Solomon's temple, and then the true temple, Christ).
6. The covenant with Christ and His Body, symbolized by the Eucharist (communion), that promises eternal salvation and resurrection to everlasting life to all He elects.

There are also two central promises of God:
1. The promise of Genesis 3, that despite Adam's breach of the terms of the covenant (1), the descendent of the woman will crush the serpant.
2. The promise of Jeremiah 31, that the despite Israel's breach of the terms of the covenant (4), God will make a new and everlasting covenant with Israel.

So you see, both of the covenants that depend on a response by works of people (the Adamic and Mosaic covenants) are filled and surpassed in Christ. Though there may be other promises in Scripture, they are all to be viewed in the context of these.

If ya'll want some great resources on this, try A Father Who Keeps His Promises, by Scott Hahn, and God of Promise, by Michael Horton.

Upvote 0

BrotherAtArms

Jul 28, 2005
✟17,086.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well wasn't there more? I mean, like the one saying that God will never leave you nor forsake you, or we can do all things through Him who strengthens us?

I mean, I've always found those to be promises aswell.

But those that you listed are helpful, I didn't really even think of those :p

I suppose I should say that I'm looking for covenants, promises, and in general, things God said He would do for us, in us, etc..

~BAA

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Well wasn't there more? I mean, like the one saying that God will never leave you nor forsake you, or we can do all things through Him who strengthens us?

Oh absolutely. I'm simply incapable of making a comprehensive list, and moreover, I think that both of these (as well as many other New Testament promises) should be viewed as sub-promises to the New Covenant.

Upvote 0

christiangal522

Aug 21, 2004
Minnesota
✟7,983.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

I mean, I've always found those to be promises aswell.

But those that you listed are helpful, I didn't really even think of those :p

I suppose I should say that I'm looking for covenants, promises, and in general, things God said He would do for us, in us, etc..

~BAA

Seriously check out that book...there are PAGES AND PAGES of promises.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fuzzyh

Jun 26, 2004
Oregon
Visit site
✟8,456.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Better question, how many promises in the Bible relate to us today, taking context into consideration. I've seen far to many people apply promises to themselves, when the context dictates something far different.

If we want to rip promises out of context, then we ought to rip out those promises that are of destruction as well.

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Better question, how many promises in the Bible relate to us today, taking context into consideration. I've seen far to many people apply promises to themselves, when the context dictates something far different.

This is precisely why it's important to view all the promises in the context of the covenants- because some covenants remain (New), whereas others don't (Mosaic-Sinai).

Upvote 0

BrotherAtArms

Jul 28, 2005
✟17,086.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
With that statement made, would this verse have anything to do with what you are saying?

31Do we then by [this] faith make the Law of no effect, overthrow it or make it a dead letter? Certainly not! On the contrary, we confirm and establish and uphold the Law. (Romans 3:31)

Because of this verse, and several others, causes me to accept the Old Testament along with the New.

But I may have just read what you said wrong.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.