Question for the Tolkien fans out there.....

+Zero+

Post Tenebras, Lux
May 12, 2008
At Parbar Westward
✟15,238.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Who is (are) your favorite character(s) in Middle Earth? Although any discussion on the topic would be nice, I would prefer a discussion leaning towards characters as portrayed in books. Most importantly, I wanted Christian input in the area of how your faves perhaps show Biblical traits, or any similarities to Bible characters. Thanks for any discussion, I thought it'd be a great way to meet people.....

My favorite would have to be King Elessar (aka Aragorn II). He is a good example of a character that practices the "let your words be few" Biblical principle; yet in the same token the words that he does speak throughout the journey are meaningful and profound. Also, his selfless character traits and his waiting on Arwen's hand in marriage for many years was a really great inspiring element, especially with the intense burdens he had to bear throughout the story.

So, what about everyone else?

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
A while ago, I read your post - I thought I like many of the characters in the novel and I found it hard to pick a favorite character out of them.

Suddenly I saw the name Sam Gamgee in another post and felt a light bulb
lit up in my mind - I felt he was certainly a character which touched me a lot. His shown great loyalty, courage and perseverance while he accompanied Frodo until the end of their journey.

So Sam Gamgee was my favorite character.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think I would have to say Gandalf. He was the epitome of a cool, laid-back, get it done kind of guy. He approached situations with humor when it was appropriate, and with sternness when it was necessary, but even when it seemed like he wasn't going to come through, there he was in the end.

Upvote 0

+Zero+

Post Tenebras, Lux
May 12, 2008
At Parbar Westward
✟15,238.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It's alright, now worries, and thank you very much for the welcome! Sam and Gandalf rank up there for me too, awesome choices I think. Sam was the fantasy epitome of faithfullnes to death.... it was a really touching read especially in the endgame of the book.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
LOL i like all the above as well, but i think my favorites are Pipin and Merry. :p
they add some comic relief to the tale, and yet they don't lack for courage when the odds are overwhelming.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,345.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hm, nobody has mentioned Boromir yet. He touched me because his weakness was just so human. Yet he was a brave man full of courage who had to shoulder immense responsibility , having a nutcase as his dad.

A good choice. For while he stumbles in the end he makes good, thought at a cost.

I would go with Eoywn/Dernhelm.

Her 'Do what you will; but I shall hinder it, if I may.' to the witch King seems far more frightening than any more Macho claim (as in the film).

Perhaps I favor her for I am a pale reflection of Faramir, at least enough to understand how he can pass up the temptations of the one ring after he has given his word. Few in these days seem to understand how ones word can bolster their resolve. Yet in seems in Middle Earth both men and dwarves understand it well, and elves understand even better (that a man may shatter trying to keep his word).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
I

idiotic_elf

Keith, i can really understand your choice, eowyn is kind of like what a woman wants to be secretly :D (i'm speaking for myself here ;) )
But Boromir was captured so wonderfully by Sean Bean in the Movies, wasn't he? *Sigh* I keep dreaming about someone like him, someone human, who is not trying to be perfect...because we simply can't be....
*siiiigh*

Upvote 0

Dharma Wheel

Wandering Hermit
May 21, 2009
England
✟16,267.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Who is (are) your favorite character(s) in Middle Earth? Although any discussion on the topic would be nice, I would prefer a discussion leaning towards characters as portrayed in books. Most importantly, I wanted Christian input in the area of how your faves perhaps show Biblical traits, or any similarities to Bible characters. Thanks for any discussion, I thought it'd be a great way to meet people.....

Well, I am not a Christian but I will answer most of your question. My favourite characters who Ishall mention here are the wise Gandalf, who is inspired by the wise and mysterious Woden, and the mysterious Tom Bombadil, who poses so much questions. The books are too brilliant to pick just two; I like them all and cannot easily choose but if I had to, then yes, it would be Gandalf and Tom Bombadil.

Upvote 0