Not in Heaven yet
✟143,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Since we aren't supposed to judge all Muslims based on the actions of a minority of lunatics,

Why are you judging all gun owners based on the actions of a minority of lunatics and shouting for bans?

In fairness and to be consistent, I expect you to start demanding bans on the Koran and background checks for Muslims. Thanks.

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: JimR-OCDS
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Many countries that have strong gun control laws by American standards are very nice places to live. Few countries that place strong restrictions on religious practice or ban books are very nice places to live.

So that I can make an apples to apples comparison, how many people in the USA died from shootings last year, and how many at the hands of Islamic extremists? I trust that the numbers are roughly similar, yes?

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟143,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Many countries that have strong gun control laws by American standards are very nice places to live. Few countries that place strong restrictions on religious practice or ban books are very nice places to live.

So that I can make an apples to apples comparison, how many people in the USA died from shootings last year, and how many at the hands of Islamic extremists? I trust that the numbers are roughly similar, yes?
Why do you want to exclude Islamic extremists in countries where they are able to get away with it? Is it because the numbers won't be favorable to you?

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Since we aren't supposed to judge all Muslims based on the actions of a minority of lunatics,

Why are you judging all gun owners based on the actions of a minority of lunatics and shouting for bans?

In fairness and to be consistent, I expect you to start demanding bans on the Koran and background checks for Muslims. Thanks.

Muslims who want to purchase handguns go through the same background checks everyone else else does.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟143,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Muslims who want to purchase handguns go through the same background checks everyone else else does.
I know. Background checks to make sure they aren't radical Muslims. Not for guns. Just in general.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
maybe a waiting list?
like if you want to buy a Koran, you have to wait two weeks
to make sure you are not just buying a Koran in a moment of passion
also, all people who buy a Koran should be registered

I think these are common sense laws that all people of good will can get behind

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

well we would have to look at it as a per capita type thing
since there are far more gun owners then muslims in the USA

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟143,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
So I don't understand the question then.
The last sentence was just me being sarcastic. The main point is, we are not supposed to judge all Muslims based on lunatics, but liberals judge gun owners based on lunatics. Why? Hypocritical.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟143,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
maybe a waiting list?

Yes!

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why do you want to exclude Islamic extremists in countries where they are able to get away with it? Is it because the numbers won't be favorable to you?

You asked about which laws people would support and I assumed you were talking about Federal laws in this country. Are you suggesting international laws on firearms and Muslims? That would warrant worldwide data collection to get a handle on the scope of the problem. The fact that Honduras is among the most violent places in the world doesn't really suggest to me that Hondurans living in the USA should be profiled. I'd certainly be willing to look into their rates of crime and consider it though.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
maybe a waiting list?

Can you be directly harmed by a Koran? I would say it's a matter of the weight of the book and if it were hardbound.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountain_Girl406

Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
maybe a waiting list?

Or perhaps you are suggesting that the US government put restrictions on religious belief. Only certain people who pass background checks will be allowed to read their faith's holy writings?

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
the point is
we are told "don't demonize all Muslims because of the actions of a few extremists, remember, every group has a few bad apples"

and at the same time, we say to ignore the many negative things that Islam brings
we are told to be suspicious and make it harder on people who want to own guns

we are told to assume the best about Islam (a religion that has launched attack after attack against Christians over the centuries)
but we have to be wary of CITIZENS who own guns legally

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Can you be directly harmed by a Koran? I would say it's a matter of the weight of the book and if it were hardbound.
I do not know anyone who has been INSPIRED to kill because of a gun
while guns have been misused for violence
they do not actually provoke violence
the Koran on the other hand, commands violence be done to others
Or perhaps you are suggesting that the US government put restrictions on religious belief. Only certain people who pass background checks will be allowed to read their faith's holy writings?

my first post in here was meant as satire

to show that if we treated Muslims like we treat citizens who want to own guns, it would rightfully be viewed as an infringement on their rights

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
the point is
we are told "don't demonize all Muslims because of the actions of a few extremists, remember, every group has a few bad apples"

Do you am disagree with that? How would you describe the Muslims in your workplace or neighborhood? Are they remarkably violent?

and at the same time, we say to ignore the many negative things that Islam brings
we are told to be suspicious and make it harder on people who want to own guns

Who says we are to ignore the negatives that Islam brings? The so-called "liberal media" feeds us stories of violence by extremist Muslims every day. Who says we should make it harder on people who want to own guns? The legislation I've seen suggested doesn't seem to make things difficult for gun owners.

we are told to assume the best about Islam (a religion that has launched attack after attack against Christians over the centuries)
but we have to be wary of CITIZENS who own guns legally

I assumed we were talking about Muslim CITIZENS, or at least legal visitors, in the OP. Who says we need to be wary of citizens who own guns legally? It is illegal for felons, drug users, etc, to own guns. It is precisely the illegal gun owners that new legislation is needed to combat. I don't think there's much of a push to disarm legal gun owners.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
....to show that if we treated Muslims like we treat citizens who want to own guns, it would rightfully be viewed as an infringement on their rights

Do you believe that gun owner's rights are being infringed upon today? How so, and which specific Supreme Court rulings on the matter do you disagree with?

Upvote 0