Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Catholics?

Discussion in 'Controversial Theology (Christians only)' started by donfish06, Dec 30, 2013.

1. donfish06

donfish06 May The Lord Richly Bless You

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    delete

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  2. LittleLambofJesus

LittleLambofJesus Member since March 7 2006

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    Question for Catholics?
    Unless you view RCs as "unorthodox", the OBOB board would perhaps be a more appropriate board to ask that question.....IMHO

http://www.christianforums.com/f26/

One Bread, One Body - Catholic A forum open to Christians to discuss various Catholic beliefs and issues.

3. donfish06

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    I found out that the quote is not from a good source, so I deleted it

4. DrBubbaLove

DrBubbaLove Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Thanks - I was going to say I think that was someone's wishful and over zealous thinking from what he did say.

5. donfish06

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    He has stated that even if you aren't saved one must listen to their conscience, which if your conscience says that Jesus isn't the Son of God, then listening to it will not help you. I see this pope as extremely liberal

6. steve_bakr

steve_bakr Christian

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I would have to see the verification of the quote. But this pope is like a voice crying out in the wilderness of the world.

7. donfish06

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    A voice crying in the wilderness blasphemous sayings contrary to 1)scripture and 2)previous popes. But I guess an infinite God changes his mind on things?

"Given that — and this is the key point — God’s mercy has no limits, if you go to him with a sincere and repentant heart, the issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience,” Francis writes in his letter."

source

8. steve_bakr

steve_bakr Christian

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Your use of the word "blasphemous" is not only an insult; it is founded upon an ignorance of Catholic theology, which teaches that humankind's conscience is the sacrosanct connection--(the very seat of one's identity)--between the person and God.

St. Thomas Aquinas said that a person is so duty bound to his own conscience that he must follow it, even if he is wrong. Cardinal Karl Razinger--the future Pope Benedict XVI--said that nothing stands between one's conscience and God; and that one's conscience comes even before ecclesiastical authority.

I don't mind that you are incorrect; that is human. But what is insulting is the use of slanderous vocabulary. It is best to speak of that which one knows, but above all, to be civil.

9. donfish06

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    If following one's conscience is enough, or is even at least a GOOD thing, then there would have been no need for the cross, or the Holy Spirit to guide us. God sent his Son and his Spirit because our conscience ISN'T enough. Thus, I believe it is blasphemous.

10. Martinius

Martinius Catholic disciple of Jesus

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Most people, when asked, know the difference between right and wrong, but much too often ignore what their conscience is telling them. People also ignore the Holy Spirit, and everything that God provides us with to "do the right thing". That is because we have not only a conscience, but free will, and it requires great spiritual strength at times to listen to what the Spirit is saying to us, often through our conscience. And that applies as equally to those in the Church's hierarchy as it does to us lay people.

Contrary to what you seem to be saying, I find nothing at all blasphemous coming from our Pope. On the contrary, I find him refreshingly tuned into his conscience and to the Holy Spirit. Perhaps you need to read his actual words (not what others say he is saying) and then compare them with what Jesus says and does in the Gospels. This Pope is a rarity, not only in comparison to other popes, but in comparison to most other men in the Church hierarchy. He puts the teachings and commands of Jesus Christ before the words of men, whether from popes or bishops or whomever. He sees with the heart and acts accordingly, and it shows in his daily words and deeds. We and the rest of the world are singularly blessed to have him in Rome.

11. Ripheus27

Ripheus27 Sinner

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Other-Church
    Amen, amen, amen. When this guy started putting the, "Take the lesser seat at the banquet," stuff into papal practice, I was all hallelujahs. Only my millennarian tendencies inspire me to dread that this guy, then, might be one of the Two Witnesses or something... Doomed to assassination (if also, then, some form of resurrection)...