Question about The Holy Spirit

mystiquenigma

Jan 10, 2009
✟15,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone. I have a question regarding the HS.

I just wanted to know how do we know if the Holy Spirit is in us? Do we just feel good, is there a tingling sensation, do we feel like we are floating? I find this rather interesting since many say they are filled with the HS. So i wondered if it has a certain feeling connected to it or if its just people believing that they have it.

fm107

Psalm 19:1-4 and Romans 1:20
May 12, 2009
London, UK
✟61,600.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hi mystiquenigma,

You know when you are full of the spirit when you feel so close to God and are built up in the word.

And when you are close to God, you are very happy.

I think that is why having joy and being full of the Holy Spirit are linked.

Acts 13:52
And the disciples were filled with joy, and with the Holy Ghost.

When I feel filled with the spirit my heart sings!

Hope this helps, though it would be nice if others inputted.

God bless.

Upvote 0
C

childofmercy

This is such a good question! I've been thinking on how to answer it, but it is a bit complicated for me to put together quickly. So I googled and read several different articles. I thought this one was a good compilation of thoughts. I'll keep meditating on your question and see if the Lord shows me something to add. I hope it helps. God bless

Do You Have the Holy Spirit?

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you are saved and repented you have the Holy Spirit within you. I will just give you the way it happened with me and maybe it will help you to understand.

I have been a Christian all my life, but it was only about 20 years ago that I found the spirit filled life of a personal relationship with Jesus.

The way I think this happens is even though we have the Holy Spirit when we are saved, we grow and mature in our faith and when Jesus sees that our hearts are ready for a certain anointing, you feel the leading of the Holy Spirit much stronger.

I was searching for the workings of the Holy Spirit and was reading a book 'In the Shadow of His Hand' - and I just laid it down and said God if this is of you I want it - the Holy Spirit fell on me so strong that I felt like I had been plugged into an electric socket, my prayer language came forth and for 3-1/2 hours worshiped as I had never worshiped before.

My life has taken on a new meaning and a beautiful relationship with my hand in the hand of JEsus being led by the Holy Spirit.

Just keep searching and asking for the Lord to fill you with His Holy Spirit - we need filling all the time, the Holy Spirit never leaves us, but for each job the Lord has for us, He will anoint us with the strength that we need to do the job.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟394,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It is not a physical manifestation of a feeling, like a chill up your spine or goose bumps on your skin. Its also not an emotional state such as being angry or excited or sad or happy. It's a state of a relationship like the love you have for your child. Love for the Lord Jesus is the surest sign I know, but that's a heart matter.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟394,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This is such a good question! I've been thinking on how to answer it, but it is a bit complicated for me to put together quickly. So I googled and read several different articles. I thought this one was a good compilation of thoughts. I'll keep meditating on your question and see if the Lord shows me something to add. I hope it helps. God bless

Do You Have the Holy Spirit?

Wow that is an excellent quote, and one I'll bookmark myself.

Thank you.

I further recommend for those who want to know God better that you buy and read and study JI Packer's book "Knowing God". Here is a link to a study guide on Packer's book that is free to access: http://william.meisheid.com/Knowing_God/Knowing_God.htm

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you get saved, some feel the Spirit at that time and some do not - I was saved very young and I never felt the Spirit until the time that I explained above - but there is over 50 years that I was a Christian and I knew that I was saved, but I did not feel anything - I believe the strong feeling I had as explained above was a time that Jesus was anointing me for a job He had for me which was to receive the Holy Spirit poems He was sending to different people as you can see on my website - Diamonds from Heaven - but all those years I did not feel anything, but I knew that I was saved.

What God calls for - he provides for - when He has a job for us to do, we need extra strength to carry it out and I think that is what we feel as God prepares us for our servanthood. Don't think because you do not feel anything that you are not saved.

There are no special people who are saved and others are not - the Bible tells us that whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord and repents is saved, so don't let anyone tell you that you are not saved and don't feel because you have not felt the Holy Spirit leading you that you are not saved - it takes awhile to recognize that it is the Holy Spirit leading us and not our own voice we hear.

Just believe God's Word that 'whosoever' means you. The rest will come as God prepares your heart.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hey everyone. I have a question regarding the HS.

I just wanted to know how do we know if the Holy Spirit is in us? Do we just feel good, is there a tingling sensation, do we feel like we are floating? I find this rather interesting since many say they are filled with the HS. So i wondered if it has a certain feeling connected to it or if its just people believing that they have it.

When one is baptized into Christ they are then chrismated and sealed with the gift of the Holy Spirit. One is then to live a life in Christ, participating in the life of the Church and the holy sacraments.

Anything that relies solely on feelings or second guessing is fickle and not to be trusted. It is very simple, either you have experienced baptism and chrismation or you haven't.

Yes, many people do experience a discernible difference in themselves when they are baptized and chrismated. I often have such an experience when I receive communion.

http://www.oca.org/OCchapter.asp?SID=2&ID=25

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

banish'd

Shekinah Glory
Feb 6, 2010
San Francisco
✟15,776.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Im going through a great struggle right now trying to determine if im saved and everyone tells me not to rely on feelings and then I see post like this with everyone talking about feelings so which is it?

Hello RobertZ,

Man, you are saved, or you wouldn't be here with us. Don't listen to half baked christians. Everything in life is an emotion. We can't think our way into heaven, we must live it with all the emotions that life brings us.

I have felt the Holy Spirit moving while sitting in a Baptist Church, but I was already a Charismatic before I went in there. If I remember correctly, a lady played the piano before the service, and that was when the Holy Spirit was most evident.

While sitting in church just turn the palms of your hands upward without rasing them. As you surrender yourself to God the Father allow yourself to be parically suspended mentally. In other words, don't think about anything but Jesus. Sometimes I have to repent and fast first.

Here is the basic Bible Verse:

"But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:" (John 15:16)

There is Unity in the Holy Spirit, and it proceedeth from the Father. Don't expect to have any warm feeling while your denomination is preaching bad things about the other guys, or talking about people are going to Hell.

The unity theology is called [Soli Deo gloria (Glory to God alone)]. If you work at it, you can worship "Glory to God alone" without thinking about the dis-unity part of your denomination theology.

When you are in Unity with the Holy Spirit, the same Holy Spirit that all humanity shares, you will feel the Presence. The Holy Spirit will testify of Jesus Christ. (John 15:16)

Upvote 0

mystiquenigma

Jan 10, 2009
✟15,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When you are saved and repented you have the Holy Spirit within you. I will just give you the way it happened with me and maybe it will help you to understand.

I have been a Christian all my life, but it was only about 20 years ago that I found the spirit filled life of a personal relationship with Jesus.

The way I think this happens is even though we have the Holy Spirit when we are saved, we grow and mature in our faith and when Jesus sees that our hearts are ready for a certain anointing, you feel the leading of the Holy Spirit much stronger.

I was searching for the workings of the Holy Spirit and was reading a book 'In the Shadow of His Hand' - and I just laid it down and said God if this is of you I want it - the Holy Spirit fell on me so strong that I felt like I had been plugged into an electric socket, my prayer language came forth and for 3-1/2 hours worshiped as I had never worshiped before.

My life has taken on a new meaning and a beautiful relationship with my hand in the hand of JEsus being led by the Holy Spirit.

Just keep searching and asking for the Lord to fill you with His Holy Spirit - we need filling all the time, the Holy Spirit never leaves us, but for each job the Lord has for us, He will anoint us with the strength that we need to do the job.

So in your case, the HS was actually a physical feeling that you had. I find it interesting that many say that they feel good when the holy spirit comes upon them, like if all their problems and burdens just go away.

Upvote 0

mystiquenigma

Jan 10, 2009
✟15,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When one is baptized into Christ they are then chrismated and sealed with the gift of the Holy Spirit. One is then to live a life in Christ, participating in the life of the Church and the holy sacraments.

Anything that relies solely on feelings or second guessing is fickle and not to be trusted. It is very simple, either you have experienced baptism and chrismation or you haven't.

Yes, many people do experience a discernible difference in themselves when they are baptized and chrismated. I often have such an experience when I receive communion.

I have not been baptized so I assume that I don't have the holy spirit then. Aren't prayers answered through the holy spirit? :scratch:

Quite frankly anyone can believe or claim that they are filled with the holy spirit. I know quite a bit of people who are baptised, believe in Jesus but just don't live the life of a person aiming for God. Does this mean that when they were baptised they didn't receive the Holy Spirit? Or did they just believe that they did, which would lead them to claim that they are filled with the spirit?

Can you explain this ''discernible difference''? If its not a feeling, what is it.

Upvote 0

banish'd

Shekinah Glory
Feb 6, 2010
San Francisco
✟15,776.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have not been baptized so I assume that I don't have the holy spirit then. Aren't prayers answered through the holy spirit? :scratch:

Quite frankly anyone can believe or claim that they are filled with the holy spirit. I know quite a bit of people who are baptised, believe in Jesus but just don't live the life of a person aiming for God. Does this mean that when they were baptised they didn't receive the Holy Spirit? Or did they just believe that they did, which would lead them to claim that they are filled with the spirit?

Can you explain this ''discernible difference''? If its not a feeling, what is it.

mystiquenigma,

You are mixing sin, grace, and the Holy Spirit together. Remember that the Holy Spirit is part of the Trinity of God, and the Holy Spirit proceedeth from the Father.

The christians who you discribed are at the cross roads of Romans Chapter Seven and Romans Chapter Eight.

Romans Chapter Seven tells us that no matter how hard we try we will always struggle against sin:

"For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?"
(Romans 7:15-24)

Romans Chapter Eight tells us about life in the Spirit:

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit."
(Romans 8:1-5)

This is my favorite verse in Romans 8:

"The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:"
(Romans 8:16)

Upvote 0

banish'd

Shekinah Glory
Feb 6, 2010
San Francisco
✟15,776.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
mystiquenigma,

I forgot to mention that before you let anyone talk you into getting baptized in to a particular faith, shop around for a church.

Do you like a Roman Catholic type of worship, or contemporary protestant worship? Maybe the Baptist church up at the corner is right for you? Maybe a Mega Church is best for you?

It's best that you worship God in a comfortable setting. Do you like the music? Do you like the personality of the Pastor? Are the people friendly towards you? Did another woman offer to help you get started? etc.

There is only one Jesus, but many-many forms of worship.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

banish'd

Shekinah Glory
Feb 6, 2010
San Francisco
✟15,776.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What is that like? because I dont seem to have it and that terrifies me.

RobertZ,

Well, for that question we must move on to Romans Chapter 10.

"Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God" (Romans 10:17)

Here is how to receive God's righteousness:

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."
(Romans 10:9-17)

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's my take: The Holy Spirit comes into you as soon as you sincerely ask for Him to do so. I believe it's also possible for the Holy Spirit to reside in people who are not yet (or never will be) mentally capable of a mature invitation. This could include small children or the mentally handicapped. However, if you actively push Him out, He will be gone until you invite Him back.

That said, you may not feel Him all the time (or even at first). There does not have to be a physical "rushing in" sensation, though that sometimes happens. I liked this quote from the article mentioned earlier: "Gradually, as we live in Christ, we will find clear marks of his presence in our thoughts, action and life." Exactly! Sometimes you may sense His presence from within, sometimes you will only see it as the "fruit of the Spirit" comes from you.

Upvote 0

mystiquenigma

Jan 10, 2009
✟15,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here's my take: The Holy Spirit comes into you as soon as you sincerely ask for Him to do so. I believe it's also possible for the Holy Spirit to reside in people who are not yet (or never will be) mentally capable of a mature invitation. This could include small children or the mentally handicapped. However, if you actively push Him out, He will be gone until you invite Him back.

That said, you may not feel Him all the time (or even at first). There does not have to be a physical "rushing in" sensation, though that sometimes happens. I liked this quote from the article mentioned earlier: "Gradually, as we live in Christ, we will find clear marks of his presence in our thoughts, action and life." Exactly! Sometimes you may sense His presence from within, sometimes you will only see it as the "fruit of the Spirit" comes from you.

This is also what I believe. I think that the spirit is within us and it grows as we get more holy. So the more it grows the more we will feel it within us. Just curious to know if this feeling is a physical one.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟394,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Do you love Jesus Christ as your Lord? If so, it is my belief that this is only possible if you have the Holy Spirit in you. Love for Jesus should also bring about a gradual change in your nature to become a Galatians 5:22-23 type Christian. Remember, even demons believe in the Father and in Jesus, and shudder. But, they have no love for Jesus at all.

Upvote 0