Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well nobody in my immediate family has died but I had a close friend that died and I personally remember her by planting a tree. She has been away since 2006. I have written down some memories of her on CF.

As far as funerals go in baptist churches we have a service and also burial. If they are believers which most would be Jesus is always mentioned and sometimes Ive heard baptists say the Lord has led them home or theyve gone to glory. We comfort each other in sorrow and pray for the families of those left behind. At funerals theres usually hymns sung and euologies.

As jesus rose from the dead we have hope to be resurrected with all our saved loved ones in heaven when He returns, so its can be a sad occasion but also a happy one.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi tadhg
Beyond just thinking of them, hopefully fondly, I personally don't see much reason to create or practice some ritualistic annual memorial. Is it your understanding, or your wife's, that holding some special service garners some favor with your Creator? Do either of you believe that you can obtain salvation for someone else through prayers for them after they are dead?

My father died many, many years ago and I remember and consider him from time to time. I think back on all the things, both good and bad, that we did together when he was alive. Beyond that, although he was certainly a person who was special to me, the fact is that he's just another person who has gone to the grave. He lived his life as he saw fit and I think was fairly satisfied with his life as it matured. I don't think he had a saving relationship with the Lord, but that, of course, is between he and the Lord. He was a reasonably good father as fathers go and I loved him. He was my dad. He taught me things and disciplined me as a child and I have many fond memories of things that we did as a family and just he and I together.

So, for me, remembering my dad is just something that I do from time to time. Especially when questions such as this come up. However, it is my understanding that where he will end up after the day of God's judgment is something that has already been set and there's really nothing anyone on this earth can do for him to change that.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0