Danny7995

Nov 29, 2015
Midville, GA
✟7,637.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hi I am wondering what is you guys take on divorce and remarriage for preachers and evangelists? Do you believe someone who is divorced and has a previous wife still living can serve as an evangelist/preacher or do you believe the Bible disqualifies them based on scripture that says Bishops must be the Husband of ONE wife? Thank you for your input.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hi I am wondering what is you guys take on divorce and remarriage for preachers and evangelists? Do you believe someone who is divorced and has a previous wife still living can serve as an evangelist/preacher or do you believe the Bible disqualifies them based on scripture that says Bishops must be the Husband of ONE wife? Thank you for your input.
So, what does the Bible say about divorce?
If divorce is permitted, then surely the new wife is the ONE wife, right?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I believe the Bible is a spiritual guide for the reader and not for others to be told what to do.

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That would be for the individual Evangelicals to decide. I would say they shouldn't be preachers for the simple fact that there message would not be as influential and effective. Obviously nobody is perfect and we will commit sins occasionally but there is a difference between this and refusing to acknowledge your sin and continuing to live in perpetual sin. This would damage the preacher credibility even if what he is saying is true. This answer is based upon the Catholic view of divorce and then I put myself in the shoes of an evangelical. Evangelicals can obviously have a different view of divorce so that's why it would be up to the individual to decide.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Different denominations have different views about this. I'd say that it depends on the circumstances of the divorce. "No fault" divorce is so common these days that it can't automatically be assumed that to be divorced means that the person, whether pastor or layman, wanted to have the divorce or did anything wrong.

Some churches would say "That's just tough. You still have a wife, technically speaking." And others would see it in another light. And then there's the question of the one justification that the Bible does allow for--adultery.

Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Different denominations have different views about this. I'd say that it depends on the circumstances of the divorce. "No fault" divorce is so common these days that it can't automatically be assumed that to be divorced means that the person, whether pastor or layman, wanted to have the divorce or did anything wrong.

Some churches would say "That's just tough. You still have a wife, technically speaking." And others would see it in another light. And then there's the question of the one justification that the Bible does allow for--adultery.

If one is to be absolutely strict and literal about what Jesus said on divorce and remarriage, as the question was about a preacher that not only divorced but also remarried, looking at Jesus' words, though he allows that divorce under the one justification is permissible, he does not go on to say that remarriage is. He calls remarriage adultery without any qualifying statement exempting those that have divorced for legitimate reasons. Now that could be an oversight on His part or he may think it was clear enough from the context or He could mean no one that is divorced, whatever the justification for that divorce, ought to get remarried. I surely won't try to read Jesus' mind on that. The OP also seems to me to be asking a philosophical question for individuals not so much seeking the position of any church body or denomination. The OP may even already know what the several hierarchical structures have proclaimed but want the opinion of individual laypersons.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The OP also seems to me to be asking a philosophical question for individuals not so much seeking the position of any church body or denomination..
I think you're right about that. My reply was to say that, in my view, "it depends."

The fact that I mentioned various denominations was meant only to say that this is a tough question that has divided even the "experts."

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

First you should know that people holding many different views contribute to this forum. Not many of them accept that the Scriptures are authoritative.

But to your question... if a divorce is a legitimate divorce then the marriage is ended and both parties are single and free to remarry. It does not necessarily disqualify someone from holding office in the church.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If one is to be absolutely strict and literal about what Jesus said on divorce and remarriage, as the question was about a preacher that not only divorced but also remarried, looking at Jesus' words, though he allows that divorce under the one justification is permissible, he does not go on to say that remarriage is. He calls remarriage adultery without any qualifying statement exempting those that have divorced for legitimate reasons. Now that could be an oversight on His part or he may think it was clear enough from the context or He could mean no one that is divorced, whatever the justification for that divorce, ought to get remarried. I surely won't try to read Jesus' mind on that. The OP also seems to me to be asking a philosophical question for individuals not so much seeking the position of any church body or denomination. The OP may even already know what the several hierarchical structures have proclaimed but want the opinion of individual laypersons.

You should read the Scriptures again. You're mistaken.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You should read the Scriptures again. You're mistaken.

You are right. According to the literal meaning of the passage below, a properly divorced man may marry a never before married woman and it would not be adultery. He may not marry a divorced woman( And literally no matter why she was divorced as no qualifications are given there to exempt any divorced woman as being an occasion of the sin of adultery if a man were to become married to her. ) or he commits adultery. Very good of you to point out my mistake. Therefore by the literal meaning of what Jesus states here a male preacher that divorces his wife because of fornication can marry a never married before woman and be absolutely certain that he is not committing adultery. A female preacher, however, from what the literal words of Jesus state does not have the same problem as she seems to be exempt from adultery in any case but if she was to be divorced even if for reasons of fornication anyone marrying her would be committing adultery and that means she would become an occasion of sin so she would not be exempt from a guilty conscience for being an accessory to he husbands adultery with her. Jesus did not say the woman that was divorced and remarried was committing adultery only the man that was divorced improperly or remarried to a divorcee seems eligible for that sin. I would hope the above paragraph clears up any earlier mistake on my part and once and for all settles the question as to divorced preachers. Then again, since Paul literally told women to be quiet I don't see how there could even be a female preacher to worry about. Hard to preach with one's mouth shut. Not impossible but definitely hard.

Matt. 19: 9

9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Upvote 0